Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my MX5 to the local garage to get an oil leak checked out, they’ve told me i need to buy a new Cambox for them to sort it. Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy one from? Also need a new dipstick & guide too if anyone can help me with that. Thanks

·
Registered
M52TU Turbo Swapped MX5 (No that's not a joke or a typo)
110 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what they are referring to with "Cambox" but if they are talking about cam cover gaskets then they can be easily sourced from companies such as Autolinkmx5 and MX5Parts cheap enough. If they are referring to either the cover itself or any of the VVT stuff (Solenoid, Cam Gear, Etc) then your best bet is either having a look for used parts on Ebay or facebook or checking the for sale sections of the forums.

With the dipstick, again check Autolink or MX5Parts they're probably your best bet if you want new parts.

Thanks,
Nix.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,869 Posts
Yeh no idea what a "cambox" is either, never heard of one. Sounds like they might be having you on a bit. Where is the leak located and we can likely point out the seal you need.

Why do you need a new dipstick and guide? The stick can break at the top but is still usable, and the only time i've heard of guides failing results in a lot of oil everywhere and something you'd certainly know about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i feel like they were probably having me on a little. I asked what a Cambox was and the mechanic told me that ‘it sits ontop of the spark plugs’. He then went on to tell me that the gasket under the Cambox is cracked, which is where the leak is coming from and that I need to buy a new Cambox… He actually suggested i ask on online forums like this on where to source a Cambox from. I’m thinking that maybe he means the cam cover gaskets but can’t be sure, unless I go speak to him again.

The Dipstick is broken at the top and sticks slightly, It still works okay though.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,869 Posts
Right, I think he means the VVT solenoid housing, you'll need a new gasket for that not a whole new unit. It should also be incredibly easy to do yourself if you're so inclined. VVT Unit Gasket Genuine for Mazda MX-5 1.8 01-05 | BOFI Racing

You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, that is literally the first one I found.

Dipstick is fine as long as it isnt leaking at the block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts