Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I use a RWD car for off roading in mud and shite.

I think that answers that one.
Yep. I have to admit thinking 4wd is over rated and tyre choice and/or driving ability is so much more important in tricky conditions on roads. Having only seen the outcome of 2 accidents in snow the last 2 years and both being 4x4s. One of them a hilux type pick up that was on his roof so far up the verge he must have been doing a frankly stupid speed, in snow with a caravan on the back. Suffering from what I refer to as 4x4 invincibility.

RWD all the way for me, other car is an E46 330d.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've driven plenty out in the hills during our recent bleak winters, granted if the snow is deep a low car is going to struggle but I really can't see where a well driven rwd car on decent tyres is going to have major issues over a 4 wheel drive car. Other than pure traction it's all pretty much the same, 4wd isn't going to save you on a slippy downhill approach to a corner.

This is my mx5 up in the arse end of Northumberland (where I used to occasionally work for a mate) the week this photo was taken it was hitting -18 on a night time. Driving home from there at 3am was interesting but no real problem.

And at least with RWD you can do this...

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got a quattro audi you can launch in any weather conditions and it just grips and goes. if you think it's going to understeer on a corner you just put your foot down a bit more and it drags its self round no matter what the road conditions. Rwd is fun but for out right handling and getting point to point quick awd is best.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I voted FWD...
Fwd can be fun my 172's were great fun and you could get the back end out with a bit of lift off oversteer

·
Registered
559 Posts
i learned to race in civics, still have one for track days. awesome fun and more forgiving than RWD... also I can drive my daily (leon tdi) up hills in the snow, unlike many of my bmw driving workmates...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.