Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Matt

I'd be interested to know whether the 626 Outer CVs are identical to the MX5 ones in terms of the spline diameter and length into the MX5 hub and also how far the shaft spline sits into the 626 CV. Does the shaft need to be shorter to compensate or are they a direct fit do you know? When you have any info matey, please let me know.

One thing to note though, when I re-assembled the driveshafts the first time around (before these fancy S155 shafts) I noticed that the stock Outer CV had only about 15mm clearance to the Coilover so I'd trial fit them before you go ahead and have the shafts made up. Otherwise, it could be a whole world of pain trying to move the Coilover.

Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Possibly a silly idea (mine often are), but have you considered upgrading the whole rear hub assembly to something more suited to your power levels, like maybe a skyline hub (I know these are 5 stud but just an example).

There will obviosuly be some fab work involved in making it fit within the MX5 rear assembly, but possibly a better permenant solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Matt

I'd be interested to know whether the 626 Outer CVs are identical to the MX5 ones in terms of the spline diameter and length into the MX5 hub and also how far the shaft spline sits into the 626 CV. Does the shaft need to be shorter to compensate or are they a direct fit do you know? When you have any info matey, please let me know.

One thing to note though, when I re-assembled the driveshafts the first time around (before these fancy S155 shafts) I noticed that the stock Outer CV had only about 15mm clearance to the Coilover so I'd trial fit them before you go ahead and have the shafts made up. Otherwise, it could be a whole world of pain trying to move the Coilover.

Cheers
Hi Chris. The outer 626 CV is the same spline/length etc as the mx5 one. Even the surface that goes against the dust rubber for the bearing is the same. It just is a little deeper on the Bell part. But that doesn't affect anything.

The Mazda 626 drive shaft would be 26mm on the narrowest part of the spline. Vs 23mm for the mx5 spline.

E69FCF20-AD90-4E9B-B47D-8F3757077DF3_zps
8C5CA0F3-48E2-4A14-91E5-4703CCFE545C_zps

So I will end up with a thicker drive shaft all the way now. Instead of the shaft going smaller to fit into the mx5 CV joint. Also the shaft will be slightly shorter as the 626 bell is deeper.
I have plenty of room to my shock absorber as I'm running standard struts.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Possibly a silly idea (mine often are), but have you considered upgrading the whole rear hub assembly to something more suited to your power levels, like maybe a skyline hub (I know these are 5 stud but just an example).

There will obviosuly be some fab work involved in making it fit within the MX5 rear assembly, but possibly a better permenant solution?

Thanks
It's a good idea but in theory I now have a big hub! As I've now upgraded to Mazda 626 CV joint so it's much stronger than the orginal mx5 item. The only concern I do have is the standard mx5 wheel studs. I ideally could do with some arp ones or maybe redrill the hub and wheels to fit bigger ones!

Thanks Matt

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,120 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
9CDD1417-BEBF-454D-8C02-4F5796BBBF13_zps
Thanks Matt
I assume no boot because racecar? :)
I think it's a purpose built race car..

Well my car is back on the road finally. To cut a long story short, stay away from Carford engineering in Birmingham!

The new shafts are fitted and so far so good.

On the left is the new bigger diameter S155 heat treated shaft.
On the right is a original EN24 shaft with the small MX5 end.

C79463DE-3A56-4E3B-867E-21166523EF46_zps

My dad got hold of a old Suzuki swift which he was scrapping and I spotted a neat and small expansion tank. So I removed it and the bracket and mounted it to the 5 after a lot of cleaning!

202F4D9F-E0F7-418F-A17F-2E46F08FB13F_zps

383B8BAE-F643-4719-A99A-7C1A8C7EE4B6_zps

Looks really neat I think, and it was free so makes it even better!

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Thanks guys
A little update.
When I went on Nicks car control day I had 3 problems. First was the Toyo tyres which are now sorted. Next was my geometry which is now sorted. And third was the standard seat belt. I was simply concentrating on holding my self in the seat rather than driving the car.

So I've put it off for a while but the only option was to cut harness slots in my loverly Lotus seats. So I researched what I needed and in the end I contacted corbeau. Which they supplied me with the goodies.

F73EB98C-9D72-4F1A-BCCB-254F57081509_zps

Before.

ED326422-D9E2-4BF5-9207-FF8D2D3E41F6_zps

Marking the seat with tape.

ACECCD63-F2A4-4E81-A45F-A7A8111B4801_zps

I didn't get any more pics. But I simply cut them out from the back with a dremel and sanded the shape neatly into the seat. Then cut and tucked the fabric around the new bosses and mitre bonded them together.

58FB5505-671A-40E0-9D70-899DFDFF4CB4_zps
3E539C4A-152A-42E7-838B-1533D6E5338E_zps

I've borrowed the OMP harness out of my mini. But it's abit big as its 3 inch. I will try and get hold of a black 2 inch harness maybe?

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Matt, hope your drive shafts lasted the way home from RR2016.

Good to meet you and your dad on Sunday. Following behind this beast in the convoy is the reason my suggested ebay links are now all v8s.

I can't look at my nice empty shell in the same way again.

Thanks for that :wallbash:

Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·

Good to meet you and your dad on Sunday. Following behind this beast in the convoy is the reason my suggested ebay links are now all v8s.

Tom
Haha they got me home fine. Even with a few skids. Once you've been V8 there's no going back. Was good to meet you. Best to jump on the Lexus engine now as prices are starting to rise!

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
125 Posts

Tom
Haha they got me home fine. Even with a few skids. Once you've been V8 there's no going back. Was good to meet you. Best to jump on the Lexus engine now as prices are starting to rise!
Don't say that. With picture like this floating around its almost irresistible!

AY0F0958.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Hi there. Not a great deal done to be honest. I knocked down my old garage and I've just finished building a new 4 car garage.
That's meant I've got my mini out of storage from my dads old unit so I've been doing jobs on it and it's now MOT'd and home with the 5.

A669406B-E4F0-4D14-B381-616A1A511E6A_zps

My next job now is to sort out the 3uz wiring and my plan is to use the stock 3uz ecu. So I'll have a fully working varible inlet manifold and VVTI. So it should make a big leap in performance to the old 1uz, especially the mid range and top end power. Also I will have a fully working obd2 port and better mpg.

B2CBB96A-C91B-472D-9DD5-9A2F766B7040_zps

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Ah just knock the garage down and start again, as you do ;)
I know, he says that like its a 2 minute job as well.. And everything on the V8 build has been easy peasy <_< But, I'm only jealous. Anything like this would take me years of buying, trying, parts not fitting, re-buying, reading up, re-buying, rince, repeat..

:goodjob:

241 - 260 of 289 Posts