Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I finally found after more than a month hunting the best MX5 a nice British Racing Green
with the 1.8iS spec.

Only two owners, clear service history and nice spec (Momo SRS steering wheel, hardtop, etc..). MOT had only a month and the car had 100000 miles on the clock.

I decided to go and take her back to France.

A very long trip up to Liverpool via the Eurotunnel.

Everything went perfect, the car was not as good as it looked on the pictures, but it is less rusty I would imagine.

The owner looks to love his car and tried to do its best to maintain it.

But, on the way back to home in France, the car started to overheat and I could do nothing than park on the emergency lane.

It happened 200 miles from my place.

The car is now at a Mazda dealer but I'm scared the headgasket is blown...

I called the garage this morning and they said the car had white smoke from the exhaust.

It surprised me as I checked and did not notice and particular smoke.

I hope it is only a calorstat or worn cooling hose but I have noticed a water leak from the back of the engine.

I am waiting for the final diagnostic, but if it is the head gasket I might buy another engine.

The car is so nice I am very disapointed with what is happening to her.

My story in the MX5 world is not beginning in the way I'd wish...

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
Where exactly did you break down?

Main Mazda dealers are renowned for not knowing shit and overcharging to the point of being criminal.
Fingers crossed you broke don near a garage that's known to be decent.

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
the heater hoses are very weak once they are aged. I had 2 MX5's before and I had both got leaking heater hoses

one I got it overheated for about 1 minute and the head gasket was still there so I guess your car might probably be fine

change all the hoses, coolant and thermostat then your car should be fit to run!
good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the heater hoses are very weak once they are aged. I had 2 MX5's before and I had both got leaking heater hoses

one I got it overheated for about 1 minute and the head gasket was still there so I guess your car might probably be fine

change all the hoses, coolant and thermostat then your car should be fit to run!
good luck
Thx Clement for your reply.

I have checked the thermostat and it is fine. It does open in hot water.

When I took it off the coolant liquid was very clean. Coolant was changed two dayss before I bought the car because the cambelt was replaced.

One of the heater hoses (the left one when your facing the engine) is blown.

I need to find out if it blew because the car overheated or if the car overheated because theis hose blew up...

There is no trace of oil in the water, under the radiator cap, and the oil looks like nice synthetic one. There is no trace of any oil/water mixture.

However, when I rev a bit the engine there is some white smoke and water coming from the exhaust. I do hope it is only condensation in the exhaust pipe.

Do you think the water pump could be faulty?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts