Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1996Mk1 1.8 Starts Then Stops

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MX5SPARES 
#1 ·
Hi All

Car stored over winter with battery disconnected, started and ran OK a couple of weeks ago when battery reconnected, recently suddenly lost power and stopped whilst our on Road since the will start and run OK for 1 to 5 mins then starts to misfire and runs rough and stops. Getting weird fault codes think it may be the ECU which is a BPU2A.

Has anyone got one of these which I could buy or borrow to test the beast.

When it is running it's fine then suddenly misfies and cuts out.

Roger

#3 ·
Are there any signs of dampness around passenger side carpet as ECU is stored under passengers feet area near the front/dash.If it gets wet you can have major issues,from non starts ,intermittent che=arging issues ,and loads of toher problems.We may have the correct ecu for you as we have great selection .You will need immobiliser unit and matched key all married set .

#4 ·
Yes we do have BPU2A ecu complete with keys,temic unit and early type temic reader that screws to ignition lock. Its a matched set as required. I also have ignition lock and boot lock and possibly door locks but you may not want to change all these.Some other models use reader directly to immobiliser but yours uses the second temic box as reader.You probably already know but the reader is the piece around the ignition barrel that reads the key but some readers just plug directly in to loom with white 2 pin plug but yours has 1 wire on reader and feeds the ecu via a smaller temic box ,to larger immobiliser box to ecu.I can send photos if you give me your email address,thanks Robert. Hopes this makes sense .Parts are from 1996 UK car 1.8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.