Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The nutzer formerly known as Fenix
1,578 Posts
I bought this car back in may from Wassap off the forums. The thing that drew me to it was the interior. Sat inside it, it feels like a classic 60's uk sports car and I aim (in general) to keep going down that route.

In the first 6 months of ownership I have managed to resist spending on it as I have a eunos track car (see here http://www.mx5nutz.c...showtopic=52494), this was simply meant to motivate me to get the other car finished. However as is always the case things don't go to plan, and a trackday in this in December has seen me spending on both cars.

Unfortunately since i've bought it, the old enemy rust has started to appear in the usual places so later in the year I hope to send it off to Painter Daves for some work, undecided as to whether that will be just a sill repair/restore or a full respray.

I'd like to convert the front end to an elan style bumper with the sidelights and indicators built in, in fact Tazz's sig pic is probably where i'd like this car to end up. Including the paint if budget allows and if Tazz doesn't mind?

The spending since the track day has seen me pick up Meister R Coilovers for the car which should be getting fitted by Rodders towards the end of Jan and after a battle between the frugal and fun sides of my brain the fun side of my brain won out and yesterday I sealed the deal on a complete M45/MS2/Intercooled Supercharger kit for this car which i'll be fitting in April (to coincide with insurance renewal)

As for the classic-ness on the interior I'm looking to get seats fixed up, some flocking, and converting to the teardrop doorcards which were given to me with the car. I was also given all the kit to convert to electric but think i'm going to stick with manual winders to keep the classic feel.

The only nod to modern age inside will be to build a radio panel which integrates a Nexus 7 mount above the heater vents but keeping with the current style of tan and black leather.

·
1,578 Posts
Heres a vid from the trackday that has now cost me a small fortune.

(Apologies for crap camera position) Will move higher for next trackday

Not that quick compared with others I've seen but a greasy track and first time driving a rwd car with no driver aids meant i decided to take it a bit easy. Especially after a spin in the morning and a few big lockups under braking. Still locking up at end of the vid but at least I had it under control. Can't wait to get back there for a dry day so I can push on more, especially as Meisters will be fitted by then.

Its not been a month since the trackday and I've blown a fortune on my two cars, more than double what I originally paid for this one.

·
1,578 Posts
Just a quick update.

After another visit to Rodders the car is now running a set of Meister R coilovers aligned and corner weighted(car tipped the scales at 1005KG with 1/4 tank of fuel. I've got them set to 8f 6r from soft on the road and they work really well, don't feel too crashy or harsh at all. Not much difference between this setting and my old oem set up. I was looking forward to testing out on a dry trackday at Oulton at the start of feb, but that didn't happen, it absolutely threw it down. Still played with the settings and 14f12r from soft turned out to be best on a wet day.

My best wet time of the day turned out to be pretty much bang on with my fastest dry(ish) time in December which i'm impressed with considering the conditions.

This weekend I've given the car a once over in preparation for next track day. Dropped oil, checked tyres and brakes (both in good condition still) and fitted some magnecor ht leads to replace the aging ones previously fitted.

I also took the opportunity to make a couple of interior changes.

Firstly fitted some decent heater rings to replace the flat cut out rings previously fitted that rattled around the dash at high revs.

Also decided to try and fit the higher spec door cards fitted on some models. Made more difficult by the fact that I have manual windows. Managed to trim the plastic backplates to allow the winders to fit, but the stainless plates are going to have to be professinally cut to fit.

At least i now have door pockets and get rid of the imprint of the old 3 screw handles left when the door straps were added.

Tempted to buy a pair of these
http://http://www.eb...d8e1acfe&_uhb=1
but not sure if they'd be a bit ott.

Next up sometime next month I'll be getting MX5 Dans small arches fitted along with one of his boot spoilers. Providied its still in one piece after Donington.

There is still of course the small matter of a supercharger set up to fit but that won't be happening until I get the actual track car finished. April/May time.

·
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well due to me being wrong by a month on when my insurance renewal was due, and getting a great deal from Greenlight it looks like this car may be supercharged earlier than scheduled.

The bank holiday will mostly be spent playing with my cars. Ideally I'd like to get the charger fitted and running this weekend but depends how I get on with fitting megasquirt, wideband and injectors first. Electronics isn't my usual forte and despite being a computer programmer, tuning the ms scares the crap out of me. So we'll see how I get on.

Also got a couple of little shiny bits to fit when the ecu/charger install is p###ing me off lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.