Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Gave the car a full service last night. Spark plugs, air filter and some fresh Petronas 10w-40.

To do list is still ever present though. Next up, I really need to sort of the CAS o-ring. Then removing the air-con is still something I haven't got round to. With the new lightweight wheels, I'm down to just a 15kg gain over standard. So removing the air-con may cancel that gain out. Meaning I'll have a stiffer car, with more tyre, but weighing no more than standard. Which can only be a good thing.

Then at some point the gearbox might need attention, as it's feeling a bit ropy at the moment - the rattle is getting worse and the gear shift feels a little stiff and notchy.

I've also been thinking more lately about a turbo. But first I think I will buy a ME221 ECU, get it mapped and run with the standard engine for a while. Then start to gather turbo bits.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
A few bits arrived for this weekends task...

dpGTQ7p.jpg

Redline MT-90 GL-4 x 3 quarts (2.8l)

Redline 75w-90 GL-5 x 1 quart (946ml)

Gearlever Shift Boot Package

Going to change the gearbox oil, shift boot and turret oil. Also going to change the diff oil while I'm at it.

The gear change has started to feel quite notchy and the centre console is giving off quite a bit of heat, hopefully this will solve both issues. I also want to check the PPF alignment as I've read that could be the source of my rattle on the overrun.

I'm going to take the car down to Total 5's HQ tomorrow, so I can use the lift to do it. Also helpful to have other hands in case I run into problems (kind of inevitable working on older cars!).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Successful Saturday. Gearbox & diff oil changed. New shift boot and fresh turret oil. Simple enough job, but made much easier from having a bit of help from Mark & the Total 5's guys.

tHv9bV6.jpg

X92t23J.jpg

Wouldn't say it's night and day difference, but the shift certainly feels a little smoother and the no more excessive heat from the centre console.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Those lightweight wheels look great, where did you find them?
Thanks mate.

They were for sale on 4x100 wheel traders page on Facebook. 6 hour, 350 mile round trip to get them :)

They were just the wheels I wanted too, so was pretty lucky. I looked into buying a set of TE37's new, but wasn't too keen on spending c. £1,900 on a set of wheels. Also a 4-6 month wait for import.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Had my first taste of motorsport in my MX5 this week, at the Shelsley Walsh Driving School.

Had a blast, but very quickly reached the limit of the car. Shelsley is a very steep Hill Climb course, so the lack of power was very noticeable. Looking forward to going back some day with a Turbo :)

JXMAAEv.jpg

HqhPX0V.jpg

First time using a GoPro and Windows Movie Maker, but put together a video from the day.

I didn't capture all my runs. Had about 14 in total I think. I felt my fastest run was probably my last, which of course I didn't capture :)

Got good feedback from the instructors. Overall happy with my better runs, but could have improved my lines through the Esses and certainly could have braked a little later.

Progressively got quicker as the day went on and by the last few runs I was completely flat up to the Esses. Really had to work not to scrub off any speed, with the steepness of the hill and lack of power, it was impossible to gain it back. I look forward to trying it again with more power!

The runs were not timed on the day unfortunately, but I tried to get my times from the video as accurately as possible.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
That looked like great fun, how did you get on with the wheels/tyres did you feel like you had enough grip?
Yeah, they felt really good. They were just starting to slip a bit, but I think any more grip would have made it feel less exciting at current power levels.

I'm going to Castle Combe Summer Action Day on 7-July. I haven't booked any track time yet, but I think I will do one or two sessions which will be a good test of the tyres.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,913 Posts
I do like Combe, also a fast track but has just enough bends in it to hold up other cars and keep the 5 competitive. Just watch for the bumps into quary, you can near Max an mx5 by the time you get to it and upsetting the car at those speeds isn't great

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Great to get the thread back. Didn't think it would happen!

Not much has happened really since it's been down. No new mods to the car. I did take the car on track proper for the first time at Castle Combe, as alluded to in my last post. Awsome time! Can't wait to get out again.

Started pretty slow and steady to build up to it, but felt I had decent speed by the end of the session. Fun oversteery moments at 6:00 & 10:50 min.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Looks good!

Love the TE37's, good choice.
Cheers mate :)

Wouldn't mind getting some centre caps for them now, but like the wheels, they're a bit pricey.

Was also toying with the idea of some spacers to improve the fitment, but not sure it adds any benefit other than looks and would adversely affect the weight. So I'm thinking my money is better spent elsewhere at the moment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Damn thats a nice looking car :wub:

If you can find some blank centre caps to fit them wheels feel free to send me some sizes of the face and I can get some gel domed stickers made up for you :D I made my own at work

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Wow, long time since I've updated this thread! Not much has changed really, no further modifications, just routine maintenance, some fun driving and a little more track work! Just had a fresh MOT today.

Here's one of my sessions from Castle Combe Action Day at the end of March:

And a shortened video showing my spin out. My first time losing the car actually, certainly woke me up on the second lap of the day!

I can't see myself doing much more to the MX5 for a while now if I'm honest. I not long ago purchased a bit of a dream car of mine, as you'll see lurking in the background...

Qkio1cV.jpg

It's a 2003 JDM Impreza STi. Have a few modifications planned for it, which is taking most of my car time (money too) but the Eunos is going to be kept for mostly track work now. I've toyed with selling it, but feel quite attached to the little thing, I think I would regret it! Hoping that I can find a new house in my price range with a double garage + a bit more driveway space! (not easy).

Can't see myself ever parting with the Eunos, as long as I have the space. Going to take it for a nice long drive in the Sun tonight. :D

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,913 Posts
Nice track footage, what time were you out, I was in a few sessions and wondered if we were in any of the same?

Don't part with it. So many people do due to space, or loosing interest for a bit, but they always regret it sooner or later and then finding a replacement that's as clean never really happens.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts