Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cam cover and strutt brace look amazing! In desperate need to get my cover done! Wasn't sure whether to have a go myself or get it sent to someone for it. If you don't mind, how much was it for the cam cover to be done?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
"Looks OK"..... WTF!!!!!! Understatement of the century, looks fantastic. Have you thought of trying something like these on that CAS bolt? https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Socket+Sets/sd2938/Irwin+Bolt+Grip+Nut+Remover+Set/p63045

I guess the perfectionist in me saw it highlight the other flaws! Probably still annoyed at failing to change the CAS o-ring. lol.

Unfortunately I don't think I can use something like these bolt removers. The problem is access to the CAS bolt. I wasn't able to get a socket over it and could only use a spanner, or else something like this would probably work.

I had a thought last night though that perhaps if I wrapped the bolt in something grippy, like a chamois, then locked on some vice grips, it might be able to remove the bolt without distorting it. I think the problem was metal on metal damaging the bolt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Cam cover and strutt brace look amazing! In desperate need to get my cover done! Wasn't sure whether to have a go myself or get it sent to someone for it. If you don't mind, how much was it for the cam cover to be done?

It was actually quite expensive - £200 for prepping & painting both items. More than I expected to pay, but the cost was really in the prepping. A lot of places didn't want to do this, or didn't fill me with confidence they'd do a good job.

I toyed with the idea of doing it myself but would have needed to invest a bit of time and also buy all the tools & paint.

So if you're willing to do all the prep work yourself it doesn't have to cost so much. I just wanted to unbolt it, drop it in and pick it up shiny!

·
Registered
310 Posts

It was actually quite expensive - £200 for prepping & painting both items. More than I expected to pay, but the cost was really in the prepping. A lot of places didn't want to do this, or didn't fill me with confidence they'd do a good job.

I toyed with the idea of doing it myself but would have needed to invest a bit of time and also buy all the tools & paint.

So if you're willing to do all the prep work yourself it doesn't have to cost so much. I just wanted to unbolt it, drop it in and pick it up shiny!
Ahh that's fair enough. The prep is always the longest and most important part really so I kinda understand why it's expensive. Looks like it was worth it though! Looks really professional and clean!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Car failed its MOT today on two things:

1) Parking brake imbalance.

2) Horn working intermittently.

Two jobs I did myself not too long ago.

I'm hoping the rear brake can be fixed by just adjusting the adjuster bolt, so that's what I'll try first. Failing that it may be a dodgy caliper, but hopefully not.

I didn't even know the parking brakes had to balance, I thought it was just the function that mattered. Mechanic says pulling the parking brake causes the car to swerve, but when would you be doing that on the road? It will be hard to test myself but the mechanic suggests trying to stop it with the parking brake from 30mph - it should stop in a straight line.

The horns an easy fix, because if I can't sort it I'll just stick the OEM wheel back on for the test :) I did have some trouble getting the horn to work when I fitted the new steering wheel, but thought I cracked it... obviously not.

Got 10 working days to sort, so will take it back today and get to work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Car passed it's MOT today with no advisories after fixing the handbrake issue and fitting the old steering wheel for the test.

The handbrake issue turned out to be a seized lever mechanism and not the cable itself. It was difficult enough to fix, but the majority of a Saturday and many swear words sorted it out for now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Had my first big drive out at the weekend. South Shropshire to Cambridge and back. The car felt great.

Although I do have major speedbump anxiety. Every time I scrap it, or bang the exhaust of something I think this is ridiculous, too old for this carry on, I've got to raise it up!

Then I'm sitting having a beer looking at it parked up and suddenly forget about all that haha.

yewyOy9.jpg

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Had my first big drive out at the weekend. South Shropshire to Cambridge and back. The car felt great.

Although I do have major speedbump anxiety. Every time I scrap it, or bang the exhaust of something I think this is ridiculous, too old for this carry on, I've got to raise it up!

Then I'm sitting having a beer looking at it parked up and suddenly forget about all that haha.

yewyOy9.jpg
Great picture, I wouldn't trust the chicken on the right though ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I'd been thinking recently about buying a set of wheels with a more sensible offset that I could fit a set of good tyres to. I then got a little obsessed with the weight of different wheels and trying to find the lightest.

Just so happens in the middle of this obsession, a set of Rays Volk Racing TE37's came up for sale. So I bought them :)

2FJqMxb.jpg

skgcllC.jpg

They're not mint condition, but they are quite old. Made in 1999. I might at some point refurbish them and have them looking really fresh. Haven't tried them on the car yet. The tyres fitted are Yokohama Parada Spec 2's, which I understand have mixed but mostly positive reviews.

The specs are 15x6.5 et35 with 195/50 tyres. They weigh an amazing 4.3kg each. The 14x5.5 daises weigh 5.5kg, so it is quite incredible.

With the tyres the wheels weigh in at 12.3kg. Whereas the daises are 12kg each. So there's a good bit more weight in a 195/50 compared to a 185/60.

4Q1DA3l.jpg

ij9tLxz.jpg

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,220 Posts
Car looked awesome man. It's funny I followed this thread for ages but it didn't click that it was you. I was on Combustion Punks stand too, did you camp? Trying to put a face to the car haha.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Car looked awesome man. It's funny I followed this thread for ages but it didn't click that it was you. I was on Combustion Punks stand too, did you camp? Trying to put a face to the car haha.
Cheers :)

Didn't camp, no. My fiancee and I stayed in a hotel of the M1 near Milton Keynes. Turned out to be a good laugh actually, there were quite a few other Japfest attendees staying, so a mini show in the car-park :) Including a big group of dutch guys in various JDM machines. They were blasting out Eurobeat style music in the morning while we cleaned the cars. Bear in mind this was about 7:30am! So if I hadn't been going to the show I'd be raging haha.

Great day though, couldn't have been better weather. Quite a few sun-burnt folks going home on Sunday eve I bet.

I didn't get talking to many people on the CombustionPunks stand. Saw a few guys in the morning, but then didn't spend much time on the stand after that. Unfortunately can't make the MX5takeover stand at Donington Japfest, but will be definitely going to RetroRides (at Shelsley Walsh) - it's local for me. Would like to make a few other shows this year if I can.

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,220 Posts
Cheers :)

Didn't camp, no. My fiancee and I stayed in a hotel of the M1 near Milton Keynes. Turned out to be a good laugh actually, there were quite a few other Japfest attendees staying, so a mini show in the car-park :) Including a big group of dutch guys in various JDM machines. They were blasting out Eurobeat style music in the morning while we cleaned the cars. Bear in mind this was about 7:30am! So if I hadn't been going to the show I'd be raging haha.

Great day though, couldn't have been better weather. Quite a few sun-burnt folks going home on Sunday eve I bet.

I didn't get talking to many people on the CombustionPunks stand. Saw a few guys in the morning, but then didn't spend much time on the stand after that. Unfortunately can't make the MX5takeover stand at Donington Japfest, but will be definitely going to RetroRides (at Shelsley Walsh) - it's local for me. Would like to make a few other shows this year if I can.
Ah fair enough mate, they're a well friendly bunch to be fair. First time I'd met them all. I'd like to go to Retro Rides, I'm going to the Goodwood one, but Shelsley Walsh is a bit of a drive for me. I might go, we'll see.

Weekend was good though, some great stuff on display. Shame that the AE86, classic display, and stunt arena were all around the back though. They deserved more exposure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I gave the new wheels a good polish & wax and dressed the tyres before fitting....

xx5ydWD.jpg

Then I stuck the wheels on tonight and took it for a blast in the countryside. I'm actually amazed just how good the car feels! I was expecting it to feel better, but the handling & ride quality is 100% better. Much less bone crunching on the bumps.

It feels just as peppy as with the daises fitted, but you don't get the same tyre flex feeling from the high profile 185/60 tyres.

I set these up with 28psi on the fronts and 32psi on the rears. Bags of grip, but was still able to get the tail out a bit on a few empty roundabouts.

Also took many photos...

iU6DAnW.jpg

O4r5xEv.jpg

4h16K1W.jpg

LXDlaHk.jpg

u4gjvX4.jpg

cWo0U9a.jpg

ZbbfBi2.jpg

H8KsPtU.jpg

zVamYvv.jpg

e4TpVzZ.jpg

FX9Ovg7.jpg