Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start a build thread I think...

As much for my own records as anything, but if anyone enjoys reading then all well and good.

So first the car stats:

Purchased 15th October 2016

1990 Eunos Roadster | Imported in 2000

78,000 miles on the clock, around 25,000 kilometres before import, so it has about 93,000 miles on it in all.

Nearly standard, just a Cobalt exhaust fitted, de-badged and the kilometres to miles conversion.

It looked really clean to me, had been in the same family since imported and had clearly been loved. It had been re-sprayed in the last year, so the paintwork looked top notch, engine ran well, new hood fitted not too long ago and looked really good.

The big thing however was it did have some botched repairs to the sills. In my inexperience I didn't quite comprehend how botched or what was lurking beneath! But more on that later...

General mods I have planned are:

Coilovers

Gold wheels

De-cat

Roll bar

Bucket seats & harnesses

After picking up the car I took it to Mark at Total MX5 repairs for a check over and service. Was pleased to hear a lot of positives, but did leave however with a few things I hadn't expected to do so soon.

Here's a few pictures from the drive home via the Black Mountain Pass, surely one of the best roads in the UK!

GxWFAv4.jpg

kR9cAeG.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looking good Drew, I too plan to go down the red/gold theme.

Nice to see what it looks like with a bit of lowering, got some Meisters just sitting there waiting to go on,can't wait to see what it looks like with the actually fitted.

I sprayed my daisies satin black and removed the centre caps, a very cheap and easy thing to do, but they actually look pretty good until new wheels are purchased.

Red and gold rules

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I know it's too late now but you can get away with a 195/45/15 tyre on that wheel fitment with minimal arch work. Might struggle to close the arch gap without "slamming" the car, not sure if that's the look you're going for?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it's too late now but you can get away with a 195/45/15 tyre on that wheel fitment with minimal arch work. Might struggle to close the arch gap without "slamming" the car, not sure if that's the look you're going for?
Interesting, I didn't think arch gap would be an issue. I just went for 185/45's as I preferred the slightly more stretched look over the 195/45's.

I am fairly low now and have a good bit more adjustment left on my coilovers. I'll be going as low as I can live with. Haven't really driven it much since I've had it, so will be trial and error to find what that is.

Got to do a test fit so I can have a look, will post some pics when I do. Then next on the list is to get the arches rolled.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
195/45 is still a bit of stretch. Personally I think 185 is a bit too much. A 195/45/15 tyre will lose you 10mm worth of arch gap compared to a 195/50/15 tyre. This will also make the car 10mm lower to the ground on the same suspension. Going to a 185/45 tyre looses another 5mm worth of arch gap and puts the car another 5mm closer to the floor. Does that make sense? So before you lower your car you'll already be 15mm closer to the ground compared to a 195/50/15 tyre. Then you need to close the arch gap which will be 15mm more which makes your car very low to the ground......which obviously can look great but not as driveable. What are the roads like around you? I had my car at the perfect height for me (looks wise) but had to raise it up a touch as I was constantly smashing into the floor whilst driving about!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I follow you. I used willtheyfit.com when deciding on wheels, so I understand about it being lower, just my thinking was that it will still fill the arches nicely with 185/45's.

The roads... oh god... in a word - Shocking! I'm in rural south Shropshire.There are a number of roads around here that I won't be able to get near and I will certainly have to pick my routes carefully and be aware. I'd beach it, or wreck it, or at the very least scrape it, even with standard suspension I couldn't get it into my work.

Everyone thought I was mad getting an MX5 around here. GF tried to talk me out of it, but she loves it now, as does everyone. They're hard not to love.

It's not my daily, so I'm OK with it not being the most practical. At the moment I am modifying it to the look I want, which involves it being nice and low, then I'll see what it's like to live with. If it becomes unusable then I may have to rethink my setup.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts