Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps, looking for some help if others have tried this before or have experience of 13" wheels...

I have the larger 1.8 brakes on my car but am determined to get 13s on.

I tried some 13x7 ET-7 minilites at the weekend but the design of the minilite really wasn't helpful for brake clearance and it would take spacers and grinding of the caliper and carrier to get them to fit.

There is room inside the actual rim for the brakes but that particular wheel design has a very flat back.

What I would like to know is has anyone fitted 13s over the larger brakes and if so what wheels have they used?

Also keen to hear suggestions for wheel designs that might work.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had to have the back face of my 14" wheels machined to take 1.8 brakes and even now i run a 5mm spacer just to aid in clearance.

13's over 1.8 brakes......I think you may be struggling. there are a few people rocking 13's although i believe all are 1.6's

Ric

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I'm pretty sure its been done, although from what I remember they were a big negative offset (on a car with arches) and the brake calipers were shaved to get them to clear. I'll see if I can dig out who it was... was a while back though!

Russell.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input chaps, I don't imagine it will be easy but in principle there should be some wheels that fit.

Russell, it would be great if you could dig that out thanks!

I have been looking at Team Dynamics Pro Race and Compomotive CXRs but they are plenty of money and not that light for a 13" wheel.

I'm hoping to find something with a fairly low offset and a narrow rear mounting face - most of my 15" wheels seem to have a much better design for clearance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got the 13x7 -7 Minilites over 1.8 brakes, took a bit of re-shaping the caliper to get them on but they do just go over. Although to be honest if I was to start from scratch I'd use a set of lightweight 15's, more expensive tyres but better brake cooling and more suspension travel. It's fine on a smooth track with the 13's but around town it's a bit of a pain as the cars really low so it's pretty crashy and scrapes everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.