Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered what MPG most people got with their early mk1's.Do alot of short trips approx 5 mile and seem to be getting about 20mpg at best.Seems low considering not really a spirited drive however when the car starts you can smell the fuel out the exhaust for a short period,I assume while on full choke?.Plugs dont look too bad and it passes the emissons test.There is a bit of soot on the rear bumper and was wondering if there is anyway to check the lamda sensor or does this all sound normal?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
sounds normal to me.
I've found in all of mine i've had that spirited driving you ge much the same mpg as taking it easy...

Motorway you get best at about 3.9k rpm.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sounds normal mpg for short journeys, combined you should be just over 30mpg!

You can check your lambda by building a dianostic led and reading the codes, nothing difficult, there's a thread on the OC on how to make it out of an LED and a resistor.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd say it sounds to low, im running a turbo on my 1.6 and still get 30mpg doing short journeys, this is straight onto 60mpg B-roads though not town/traffic driving.

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.