Kate's Eunos' Slow Transition From Bodge It And Scarper To Slightly Less Bodge It And Scarper - Members Rides - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Kate's Eunos' Slow Transition From Bodge It And Scarper To Slightly Less Bodge It And Scarper

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

So at the weekend I purchased a 1992 1.6 Eunos in Crystal White, imported in 2003 so it's in pretty much a rust free condition as far as I can see. It has 60,000 miles on it and has been owned by two old chaps since its been in the UK. Now its time for it to have some feminine attention. Heres some pics of the baby.

2i28roh.jpg

30cye80.jpg

24gui4k.jpg

2dufo2g.jpg

11s2qlu.jpg

I hate the yellow off white trim that has been stuck on absolutely everywhere. I picked it up cheap, but am going to spend some time sorting out some of the rubbish bits the previous owner did to it. He kept telling me he was a panel beater before he retired and spent years in the motor trade, but its appears he was more bodge it and scarper, so I need to put some things right first.

#2 miles

miles

Given up

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22533 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

Lose the foglight (details here somewhere).
Posted ImagePosted Image
90 lil' Red Roadster M45, Konis, JR, RS*R, Watanabe,Torsen, Leather, ILM LoPros...............
98 RS Black Mazdaspeed shocks/springs, Autoexe CAI, RB Duals, gold wheels and Victory Lane air freshener ....
99 Sport red £700 of pure awesomeness.

#3 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

So first things first today had to sort out my garage as for the past few days I have been lifting bikes in and out of the garage and ladders and some other junk, every time I wanted to get to the car. Had to buy a new cordlessdrill for the occasion, living in a flat makes getting power to the garage impossible, but got a bargain £30 from Homebase in their stock clearance and it has two batteries.

14lr4td.jpg

Almost finished article

4k7k8n.jpg

I want to get some flooring for in there, but that will come in time.

Then onto the car, both door mechanisms were temperamental with locking and unlocking, so the ordered some trusty springs for them from MX5 parts.

Low and behold when I got to the drivers door the spring was missing

ruma13.jpg

btw this mastic stuff is horrible 

2s6uipd.jpg

While doing this I noticed the speaker in the drivers door doesn't seem mounted right. I don't think they work anyway so some new ones will be called for.

2ntwj1j.jpg

It then started raining so had to quickly put the drivers door back together and go in for a cuppa.

#4 miles

miles

Given up

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22533 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

You think the mastic is horrible now, just wait till summer.
Posted ImagePosted Image
90 lil' Red Roadster M45, Konis, JR, RS*R, Watanabe,Torsen, Leather, ILM LoPros...............
98 RS Black Mazdaspeed shocks/springs, Autoexe CAI, RB Duals, gold wheels and Victory Lane air freshener ....
99 Sport red £700 of pure awesomeness.

#5 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

So while having a cuppa a bit of eBay shopping happened purchased a Nardi steering wheel

qrkda8.jpg

cant wait for it to come, it will be a massive improvement on the current one.

2dvo51l.jpg

Then with itchy feet, I thought I would brave the cold and go down and make a start on removing some of that awful yellow white trim (which apparently was supposed to be gold). Underneath the door cards I started revealed some walnut trim, not to my liking, but 100 times better than that off white stuff.

24pwgmq.jpg

I desperately need to get some sticky stuff remover tomorrow to get rid of the sticky backing, that has been left behind.

28be97b.jpg

I also realised just how dirty the car is inside, I knew it needed a hoover, but this its horrible. And yes, there was also that stuff stuck here.

23ie9z8.jpg

I also decided to swap over the radio and clock as the radio was at the bottom and you could not see the screen as the gear stick covered it.

2w4wnxl.jpg

Was amused whilst doing this to find a small piece of rubber wrapped in black electrical tape as filling a gap as the clock has no clips to keep it in place. I wouldn't have expected any less, to be honest.

The car is going to be booked in next week for a full service and mot.  To make sure everything is mechanically as sound as it seems. 

#6 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

You think the mastic is horrible now, just wait till summer.

so glad I will be doing to passenger door either Friday or Saturday then. 

#7 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Lose the foglight (details here somewhere).

yeah I want to and  I will do in time, I want to make sure it is mechanically sound and then rustproof it, before doing much else.

#8 Zak

Zak

I ask the questions

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1463 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

White lip looks so wrong imo! Needs to be black with black wheels and a wee vindy and this will look awesome. White is deffo my favourite roadster colour

#9 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

White lip looks so wrong imo! Needs to be black with black wheels and a wee vindy and this will look awesome. White is deffo my favourite roadster colour

I agree, the paintwork on it has cracked as well. I have seen a carbon fibre one that looks brilliant that I really want, but it's not essential so it will come, but in time, a little like the fog light, gotta get the mechanical bits sorted and then the rustproofing, then the paintwork and interior, although patience is not my forte, but I have a trip to vegas to fund also!  :banana:

#10 Zak

Zak

I ask the questions

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1463 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

I agree, the paintwork on it has cracked as well. I have seen a carbon fibre one that looks brilliant that I really want, but it's not essential so it will come, but in time, a little like the fog light, gotta get the mechanical bits sorted and then the rustproofing, then the paintwork and interior, although patience is not my forte, but I have a trip to vegas to fund also!  :banana:

aye, first thing i did was rust proof mine although its starting to show through now so will need sorting soon but I agree doing mechanical shit first, I seem to be trigger happy when it comes to visual parts and im too neglecting to mechanical parts, its a bad habit! if you wanna do the lip on the cheap, bargain buys do paint tins of black for in matt satin and gloss for a quid a tin. It's not bad stuff either just do dust over a lip as a quick fix, you'd only need 2 or 3 cans.

#11 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the tip I'll take a look not had much practice painting was thinking of getting a headlight top and practicing on that with a spray can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

I love the colour.much nicer than chaste white

1994 Eunos 1.8 S-Special/ 290bhp/ 325Nm @ 17.5psi/ megasquirtpnp2/ TD04 13l heat wrapped/ Bentley actuator valve/ green cotton cone filter/ G19 rev 2 log manifold with damper/ G19 heat wrapped downpipe/ 3” custom exhaust from DP back/ 3" test pipe/ Front mounted intercooler/ Hard boost pipes/ 12 row oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate/ skunk2 64mm throttle body and modified inlet manifold/  Thermal gaskets/ Forge twin piston BOV/ RX8 yellow injectors/ GTR fuel pump/ Fat ally rad/ Twin cooling fans/ Short drop HEL braided clutch line/ Hel braided brake lines/ flyin miata level 1 clutch/ Factory Roadster strut brace/ Soul tuning rad plate/ Zoom headlight vent & ghetto ducting/ GV lip/ Vindi fibreglass bootlid/ Jass stealth TSIs/ carbon fibre door mirrors, sill plates interior parts and binnacle/ Clear side repeaters/ P5 frame rails/ 5 race roll bar/ Brembo disks, Yellowstuff pads/ Boost gauge/ AEM wideband/ Lotus Elise 111S seats/ jass interior toggle switches/ Jass retro gauge surrounds, faces and caps/ Eibach thick front and rear sway bars/ HSD Monopro fully adjustable coilies/ Blink 'Road Warrior' alignment/ terracleaned fuel system/ Nas alcantara small wheel/ Rota RB 15x8”/ Yoko AD08R/ Stick on front plate/ Reverse LED fog conversion/ Slim amp and upgraded door speakers/ stainless teardrops/ JDM chequered mats/ CAT 1 alarm immobiliser/ Timing belt and pump Sept 2014/ Fully treated & under-sealed March 2016…

#13 chasdad

chasdad

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

Nice steering wheel is it a genuine one

#14 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

It is supposed to be when it comes I am going to check the serial number with Nardi if not it's going back

#15 bettabuilda

bettabuilda

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Regarding sticky residue from backing tape. WD40 will remove it easily from your plastics :)

Barrie
MK3 2007 RED & CARBON WRAPPED 1800GT 1st at MX5 OC 2018 Spring rally lightly modified section :) now gone!
MK1 '91 Classic red 1.6 Eunos Meisterr's nothing to report! :) now gone!
MK1 '91 Classic red 1.6 Eunos Meisterr's automatic standard trim :) now gone!
2nd place at MX5 OC 2015 Spring Rally in modified MK1 section 1.6 Mk1 Eunos 1991 JRSC in classic red. Now gone!
MK1 '90 Classic red 1.6 Eunos standard trim :) now gone!
J2 1.8 LTD, '94, Mazdaspeed roll/harness bar/ MS102 wheels, Recaro seats, sabelt harness's, full Hard Dog bodykit, JDM adjustable shocks, KGWorks accessories :) now gone

#16 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Got round to doing the other door today, only to find this one did have its spring still in place, so gave it all a bit of a clean and going over with WD40 which seems to have done the trick at the moment. Need to take the door card off again as took it out for a drive and hadn't tightened up the teardrop kick plate properly so it was vibrating like no business.

There also seemed to be a bit of a chassis rattle that has developed, luckily the car is going in for a service and MOT on Thursday, so I will mention it to them to have a look at it, think it might be suspension related, so will have to wait and see what they come back with.

#17 laurence5

laurence5

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

I was watching this on eBay, was just down the road from me! Looks like a great project, my own hunt for an mx5 continues.. :P

#18 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Gave it a good clean today, looks ace in the sunshine and did half the interior trim. The radio surround needs replacing as it's had a previous trim I am guessing the walnut one removed and then this stuck on top so it's pretty shot to pieces. I think I might sand it down and have a play around with doing something to it, not sure what yet, but could be a little project when the new one comes.

Whilst cleaning managed to spot some tipex paint touch ups. Yep you read that right tipex! The car will eventually need a bit of a respray as the paint work isn't brilliant, but come the summer I will possibly have an attempt as cleaning this up a bit at least for now.

Forgot to take a pictures until I got home just before tucking her up in bed

2eaea79272da847379f4a8e0850aae1b.jpg

d3dcabc4db0bdf748bee1352dec893f3.jpg

#19 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

I was watching this on eBay, was just down the road from me! Looks like a great project, my own hunt for an mx5 continues.. :P

it's mechanically spot on and there's no rust, but the paintwork is quite shoddy tbh. Definitely a project that's going to take some time especially the paintwork side of things, need to find some paint sprayer friends

#20 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Got the car back from the garage this evening flew through the MOT with no advisories. I got them to do a full service and change the track rod ends and do some tracking and alignment as there was some play in the steering also. Feels much better and runs even smoother than before. Very impressed that there were no advisories. The service did show up a small oil leak from the top rear of the engine so I will have to investigate that soon, they have cleaned up around there so hopefully I should be able to see the area it is coming from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users