Derek's Finally Finished Diy Supercharger Build With Auto Tensioner - Members Rides - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Derek's Finally Finished Diy Supercharger Build With Auto Tensioner

auto tensioner mini supercharger megasquirt 1 dummy throttle body

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

will update with pictures
Hello nutzers firstly i would like to say thankyou to those people on here who have helped me in getting here, john90, Taffylude, Frank, mr slow, I thought it would never get to this stage and To Barry Speirs for his thread without it there would be no supercharger on my car.
It has been a struggle and the most frustrating and difficult part has been the alignment iv went through numerous belts iv had the car off the road since June been using the motorbike everyday for work lol not that i had been working on the car everyday but usually at the weekends.

image-5.jpg

I basically went about this the wrong way what i done was done everything to run the supercharger the pipework, then rx8 injectors, etc then installed the megasquirt last. And the car wouldnt start no suprise there then lol
With the help of the forum we worked out there was no fuel getting to the injectors because the megasquirt generation 1 is wired up for american market miatas more specifically 2 wires had to be cut then swapped around so that it was now powering the fuel pump.
If it was wired for my car then actually the car would of ran great!!!!! that wasnt the only problem
with megasquirt 1 will come back to that later.

So I decided with this build it will be running a 20% reduction pulley but not exceeding engine 6000rpm.
also bought the chargecooler kit from John90 and decided about making an autotensioner which i read hadnt been done on the mini45 install before. I also wanted to run a single throttlebody i had a hard time understanding the different configurations and names.

so to make it clear to anyone reading this i took my existing throttle body unscrewed the throttle plate its in 2 halves.
removed the throttle spindle which left two open holes where the spindle rotates on so thats no good so made 2 bungs on a lathe from aluminum and plugged them holes up yes sar a did. this is now a Dummy throttle body and stays in the original throttle body location. I then added a 19mm one way shower valve so that boost cant leak back out here.
image-6.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-26.jpg
So I bought another throttle body this time I removed the Inlet air control valve from it put a plate over it and sealed it with some sealant. this throttle body goes before the supercharger and I had to extend the throttle position wiring to reach the new location. Now this is the throttlebody which you adjust the idle speed on!!!!!!!
make sure the dummy throttle body the idle speed screw is screwed closed.

I thought this 180 degree hose was perfect but it was getting sucked flat and stalling the supercharger which lead to the belts getting damaged and unusable afterwards.the forum suggested to use hard piping I thought it was just after the charger it needed to be hard piped so i made everything hardpiped lol
image.jpg
Brand new bypass valve notice the light shining through when held up to th light i managed to close this with the adjustment grub screw. I also connected the bypa directly onto the inlet manifold I read something about ths on the mini forums.
image-9.jpg

making of the autotensioner

image-25.jpg

image-10.jpg

Iv countersunk this hole as the autotensioner will fit over this bolt, the hole lines up exactly with a tapped hole in the supercharger which secures the supercharger to the tensioner plate creating another fixing point.
The tensioner is a regular mini cooper tensioner, it is not from a cooper s supercharger tensioner.
Using the autotensioner i realised I had to relocate the powersteering reservoir so i sized up the rubber pipes bought longer pipes and situated the reservoir tucked up in the back corner under the windscreen motor.
image-12.jpg

image-13.jpg

I didnt use this idler location I drilled and tapped another hole and had the idler roller pressing against the belt on the charger pulley thus creating a pressing roller to combat any slippage but what happened was when the belt wandered it came out its track and got shredded as theres not enough space.

image-11.jpg

image-15.jpg

image-16.jpg

image-19.jpg

image-18.jpg

image-20.jpg

image-21.jpg

image-23.jpg
due to the amount of belts i was gong through i had to move the idler pulley away from the charger pulley and made it in the same location found on the manual tensioners. which is roughly halfway between crank and charger pulleys.
you can see Iam not getting a good wrap around the same as before though i can use a longer belt which will sort that.
image-24.jpg
On the outlet I welded on a stainless hose barb so I could use a boost gauge to measure outlet pressure
Here's the link http://item.mobilewe...Id=320796929426

I basically cut off all the threaded part drilled a hole then welded around the outside of it.

1996 mx5 1.8 now with mini diy supercharger and 20% reduction pulley, 9psi, Gates micro-v belt, power run coming soon.
Megasquirt1pnp, Lc-1 wideband, 420cc rx8 injectors, dummy throttle body, 1999 cyl head with solid lifters and flat top inlet manifold.
Mx5 parts exhaust and silenced decat, bandaged exhaust manifold, track dog racing heat blanket, k&n airfilter, 50mm alloy radiator, 4x6 chargecooler, Magnecor Ht leads. Ngk Bkr7e,
Build thread: http://www.mx5nutz.c...howtopic=138033

#2 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

will update original post with the megasquirt problems I was having.

1996 mx5 1.8 now with mini diy supercharger and 20% reduction pulley, 9psi, Gates micro-v belt, power run coming soon.
Megasquirt1pnp, Lc-1 wideband, 420cc rx8 injectors, dummy throttle body, 1999 cyl head with solid lifters and flat top inlet manifold.
Mx5 parts exhaust and silenced decat, bandaged exhaust manifold, track dog racing heat blanket, k&n airfilter, 50mm alloy radiator, 4x6 chargecooler, Magnecor Ht leads. Ngk Bkr7e,

#3 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Took it a drive today now with a boost gauge also fitted taking pressure from the charger outlet.
Max pressure at charger outlet is 10psi
Max pressure at inletmanifold is 9psi.
With a 20% reduction pulley.
I think pressure tailing off higher in the rev range.
Photo of power steering reservoir location under windscreen wiper motor.

http://i156.photobuc...ds/image-25.jpg

#4 timgsxr

timgsxr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Wowsers, fair bit of engineering gone into that, makes turboing look a doddle. Glad you got it sorted, you intend on getting it to knockhill? Haven't been in a while but might do one of their days this year.

#5 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

yea I really want to try it now with the extra power I usually book evenings through trackscotland http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/ or dreadnought http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.com/ if you like their facebook pages it will let you know when the next one comes up.

Generally speaking open pitlane from 5 to 7pm less nutters, better etiquette overtaking on the left etc and better experience.

Iv done a couple of hot hatch sundays but only 15mins and full of idiots and long waiting times usually an hours wait for 15 min shot.

How did you find croft and the other tracks you went on how did they compare to Knockhill?

#6 timgsxr

timgsxr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I actually quite like knockhill as a track but it doesn't compare to donny, cadwell or croft. Its also doesn't seem run right, they always seem to fanny around with open evening and never just full days. I think they play on the fact they are the only track in the north quite a lot, last year remember seeing knockhill open pit evenings for about £100 and I'm sure it was only for about 3 hours. By comparison Cadwell for £180 all day seems very cheap. Croft is always expensive but I've done 2 late season days there (November / October about £140) and they were great bit slippy in the morning but dried up the rest of the year it's about £250. Only done Donny and cadwell once each but loved them both, cadwell in particular is great for our cars and Donny is like a proper GP track. Doing Donny again in feb with the car all sorted so looking forward to it. Also it always bloody rains at knockhill :)

#7 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Knockhill is weird it can be raining everywhere else but sunny at knockhill or pishing of rain on the drive up and dry when I get there it is unpredictable.

#8 timgsxr

timgsxr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

In my experience when its sunny everywhere else its raining at knockhill, when its raining everywhere else its raining at knockhill ;)

#9 Taffylude

Taffylude

Going Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Glad to see that you've got the charger all up & running now Derek, it looks like a tidy install with the auto-tensioner.

#10 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Cheers I was plagued with alignment problems for weeks which was the most difficult part of the whole build I was so close to selling it all and going down the sturovo turbo route :) I believe having the idler roller so close to the charger pulley made it worse.
It's going on the rollers in February will see what it makes.

#11 Drew.

Drew.

少し ロバ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Great read.

You don't say in the thread where you got the S/C support basketry and outlets from, are they from TRL?

I'd be interested in seeing where and how you moved the PAS reservoir, do you remember the ID of the hose used etc?   

NA RS-Ltd / SGI rods / SuperTech 8.6:1 / ACL / ARP  / Boundary  Pump / T2860 Turbo / FM Inconel studs / 600cc EV14 / Flat top inlet Manifold / MS2e ECU / '99 head / FM Stage 1 clutch / Coolant re-route / Oil cooler / 2.5" exhaust / Meister's / TRL GP bar / 6UL's / 949 Racing Front and rear brake kit / 250 Bhp & 230 Ft/Lbs @ the wheels

#12 GmoLargey

GmoLargey

Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2869 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Looks home made certainly not trlane, it really is a smart job you've done there mate, autotensioner looks awesome.

1998 Roadster VS SE in white, 6 speed, torsen 2 Lsd, tan leather NARDI interior trim converted to all black, Detangoed headlights, 2.5 rear light clusters, magnecor blue leads, iridium plugs, drilled airbox, Il motorsport front strut brace, polybushed antiroll bars, Il motorsport single exit exhaust, Meister R coilovers, WIM fast road setup, 15x7 Rays MS01-R mazdaspeed wheels, 195/50,205/50 toyo proxes, axxiss ultimax brake pads, HEL stainless brake hoses, flocked dial surround, TRLane GPV rollbar and harness bar, Sparco Sprint 5 bucket seats, 3inch omp 4 point harnesses, semi smoothed bumper+Corner plate, OEM front splitter, genuine nardi deep corn 330mm, p5 framerails, jass brake stopper, jass rear tow hook, 2.5inch decat centre exhaust section with silencer, braided clutch line, il motorsport stiffer engine mounts, track dog racing manifold heatshield blanket + all the supercharger goodies to follow......

Epic supercharger project build thread :

http://www.mx5nutz.c...showtopic=90025

#13 David1008

David1008

Made a start

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

When it's all tuned in and ran in what gains are you hoping for? What was you hoping for it to be before starting?

#14 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the positive comments I could of made it more eye appealing but iam more performance orientated than how it looks if you know what i mean.

The supercharger support brackets are made to Barry Speirs cad drawings I made a couple of alterations to get things lined up and to clear the supercharger etc and welded on a lower support that goes onto one of the exhaust manifold studs. Its not pretty, its not painted and its rusting but that doesnt bother me lol

All ive done is got 16mm I think you can measure the take offs on the reservoir with digital calipers just to be sure!! oil resistant hose the factory hoses dont seem to be reinforced high pressure hoses and extended both the hoses up to the windscreen wiper motor and cable tied the hoses away from the exhaust manifold onto the inner wing near the shock top mount. Iv left the reservoir tucked up in the corner not bolted onto anything as it sits tight in the corner then I have the Air filter in front of it so you cant see its there lol I think this will only work on cars without ABS as thats in the blasted road so If you have that forget it.

With the arrival of Sturovo on the forum building the robust turbo manifolds I wouldnt go down the supercharger route anymore its too much hassle and takes way too long and everythingas got to be perfect alignment for the belt to run properly.

the car has 1999 head and inlet manifold which has better flow iv locked the vics in the low rpm position which means from around 5500rpm upwards its not as efficient as I have nothing to control the vics with so I had the choice sacrifice power below 5000 rpm or sacrifice power above 5000rpm seeing as my supercharger pulley is a ratio of 2.5:1 max recomended pulley speed works out to be 6000 rpm. so I currently have it locked for max performance under 5000rpm.

that was the plan until I just heard of the EUDM square top or flat top inlet manifold from the 1800 vvt.

Iv just sourced one which is supposed to be the best flowing out of all the manifolds and gets rid of that vics carry-on its just a basic inlet manifold so fitting this I well may achieve the 220bhp!!!! also have a free flowing mx5 parts exhaust with silenced decat lets see what the car will make!!!! we will see.

Iam hoping for 200lbft of torque and 220bhp iv leak tested it to get rid of all the minor leaks in the metalwork and welds etc so that everything the supercharger generates the engine is swallowing it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference to the end result as I dont really see other people on here pressuring their systems to test for leaks and I was amazed at how many they were!!!!! 

Currently fitting a Gizzmo knock sensor will update with pics and a how to in a few days time.

#15 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Drew 4th picture from the bottom you can see the rubber pipes and cable tied through an existing hole on the shock turret support. I had to relocate the power steering reservoir because the charger outlet pipe has to go around the auto tensioner plate for this to happen the power steering reservoir had to be moved elsewhere.

#16 John90

John90

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4791 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Great to see you have got there mate

Original Spec: 1990 Mk1, PS, EW, Spoiler, Mariner Blue, Sill Plates, Finish Line Gear knob, TWR Hardtop.
215bhp 189lb/ft
Mods: JRSC M45, 60mm/150mm, 12psi, 5"x10" PWR Chargecooler with 50mm Ali CC Rad, Adaptronic 420C, Zeitronix WB02, Knocklite, 42mm Ali Civic TypeR Radiator, JR Fuel Pump, Dual Fuel Rail, 525cc Bosch EV14 Injectors, JR Ignition Leads, Custom HKS Super CAI, 4-2-1, De-catted Powerflow Custom Duals, mk2.5 Sport 'Big' Brakes Conversion, HEL Braided Lines and 5.1 Fluid, Koni Sport Kit with FM Rear Top Mounts, FM full Butterfly brace inc rails, MX5Parts front and rear underbody Bracing, 3pt JR front Strut Brace, Carbing Rear Tower Strut brace, Bonnet Lifters, Front and rear OEM splitters, Custom badges, 17" Oz Alleggerita's (14lbs) with 205/40/17 Eagle F1 GSD3's, Zoom 3 gauge black center console, JR afr-boost-oil temp gauges, Custom Dials with 'Matt' Cowl, 2.5 heated leather seats and mohair roof with Glass HRW, Il Motorsport Lo-Pro Lights, Clear lenses, Black lexus lights, Bullet mirrors, Chrome interior pack, Cruise Control, A/M Momo Steering Wheel....

Not currently being used:
Aquamist DDS3 v8 HSV WI with Devils Own Pump.

#17 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

I got the Gizzmo K-lite working!
My block has the correct location for a knock sensor it's high up on the block where the combustion takes place and between cylinders 2&3. On my car a 1996 1.8 the boss is drilled and tapped m10 fine from the factory so I ran my m10 coarse tap m10x1.5mm down it so that I can use regular engineering bolts.
Then I realised the Bosch knock sensor has an 8mm hole, I could see there was enough meat to drill this out to 10mm which I did by gripping it in soft jaws in a vice.

Not all mx5s came with drilled and tapped bosses so if yours isn't I suggest to drill and tap m8 to a drill depth of 20mm which is the same depth as mines. And will bolt the sensor up no problem with an m8 bolt. I realise space is tight so you either purchase a right angled drill or right angled drill attachment for your electric drill. taping drill size is 6.8mm for the m8.

image-37.jpg

image-39.jpg

image-38.jpg

#18 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Just a wee update today I done an oil and filter change I used to use opie oils but my gf told me about car parts4less I bought castrol 5w-40 FST that's the good one http://www.carparts4...71981&0&cc5_248
The more you buy then you can start using voucher codes to get money off it works out significantly cheaper and it's all free delivery it's a win-win.its euro car parts owned same parts but much cheaper prices.

So I set up the Gizmo K-lite knock detector you press on the ZMO. Letters for 3 secs release it visually counts down 6 LEDs every second then it starts analysing the engine frequency whilst you use 3/4 throttle starting at 2000rpm and wait for it to flash to let you know it's finished analysing I then floored it several times and I couldn't believe the difference the square top manifold has over the vics closed off manifold. Before it felt power taper off at 5000rpm now it pulls hard to 6500-7000rpm!!!!!!!
I only saw a short yellow flash whilst flooring it. And several quick single yellows when I came off the throttle while decelerating I think that's because it was lean whilst decelerating which is fine as it's not under load.

I have old unleaded nearly a full tanks worth so need to drain that off and refill with tesco 19999er before the rolling road next Thursday.
Unfortunately Iv experienced belt slipping I am sure I can hear it shreak and the boost gauge is wandering 6-9psi. But it still feels bloody fast it's not as if the power is stronger and weaker with the psi moving.

If you look in my last photo on post1 you can see I am not getting a good wrap around there is another two drilled and tapped holes you can just see I was having problems with the top hole as it was causing the belt to shred as there was no clearance between idler and charger pulley.
I will move the idler pulley to the next hole down so that I get a better wrap of the charger pulley and use a conti belt that John90 recommends. I didn't have belt slip before so I think I will sort this issue soon at least the clutch is not slipping..............yet ;)
So basically it's like this right now http://i156.photobuc...ds/image-24.jpg
It needs to go back to this.
http://i156.photobuc...ds/image-11.jpg

#19 delcbr

delcbr

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

image-44.jpg

Must be getting belt slip shit!

makes good power to 5000rpm torque falls away so bhp doesnt increase from 5000rpm.

the rolling road operator estimates the torque to be 220lbft and about 200bhp says his is the lowest reading RR in the uk his words not mine.

I will need to move the idler pulley to yet another position I said that before but it kept throwing the belt off the pulleys.So instead of moving the idler to near the charger pulley i will kep it midway but deflect the belt more toward the autotensioner and use a longer belt to get a better wrap of the charger pulley.

And if its still slipping I will have to use a larger pulley instead of a 20% reduction to give the belt something bigger to grip on.

#20 John90

John90

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4791 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the update. That's a huge drop in boost, could there be a leak? Are you using a Box?

Unrelated, did he confirm the knock gizmo was functioning correctly? Would be interesting to see the timing table if it's changed.

Original Spec: 1990 Mk1, PS, EW, Spoiler, Mariner Blue, Sill Plates, Finish Line Gear knob, TWR Hardtop.
215bhp 189lb/ft
Mods: JRSC M45, 60mm/150mm, 12psi, 5"x10" PWR Chargecooler with 50mm Ali CC Rad, Adaptronic 420C, Zeitronix WB02, Knocklite, 42mm Ali Civic TypeR Radiator, JR Fuel Pump, Dual Fuel Rail, 525cc Bosch EV14 Injectors, JR Ignition Leads, Custom HKS Super CAI, 4-2-1, De-catted Powerflow Custom Duals, mk2.5 Sport 'Big' Brakes Conversion, HEL Braided Lines and 5.1 Fluid, Koni Sport Kit with FM Rear Top Mounts, FM full Butterfly brace inc rails, MX5Parts front and rear underbody Bracing, 3pt JR front Strut Brace, Carbing Rear Tower Strut brace, Bonnet Lifters, Front and rear OEM splitters, Custom badges, 17" Oz Alleggerita's (14lbs) with 205/40/17 Eagle F1 GSD3's, Zoom 3 gauge black center console, JR afr-boost-oil temp gauges, Custom Dials with 'Matt' Cowl, 2.5 heated leather seats and mohair roof with Glass HRW, Il Motorsport Lo-Pro Lights, Clear lenses, Black lexus lights, Bullet mirrors, Chrome interior pack, Cruise Control, A/M Momo Steering Wheel....

Not currently being used:
Aquamist DDS3 v8 HSV WI with Devils Own Pump.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auto tensioner, mini, supercharger, megasquirt 1, dummy throttle body

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users