This is possibly the slowest "build" in history.
I have been doing bits and piece as I go, and biting off more than I can chew in most cases.
Bought a Japanese import S Ltd in May 2012.
20 years ago, it would have looked like this:
When I bought it, it looked more like this:
It came with the std gold bbs alloys, which I love the look of, but were very skinny and in need of some attention. So I swapped them out for some team dynamics which are pretty light as well.
The day I picked it up, I also got some of the RS Ltd recaros (Before anybody lays into me, I sat in some and loved them, I know they are expensive - get over it).
Spent a very long time with only the driver's seat in as I had to keep the std seat to be able to have my daughter in it:
Seat covers are worn in all the usual places, but some tank tape has kept them together since I bought them.
Next job was some new dials... I have wanted to do as much as I can myself, and so decided not to buy them from Adam (revlimiter), but used his DIY instructions. They are still OK at a glance, but I think it is probably time to get some slightly more professional ones. Just need to save my pennies.
At the same time, I bought some rocker stickers from mk2tmr2 when he was selling them. Gold. I decided to stick with the Black with red and gold bits. These haven;t made it into the car yet, as I was planning a respray - but ran out of money.
Got a new gearnob. Brass. Nearly a kg and has a great feel to it:
Then we moved house, so time and money dried up completely...
But it meant that I had a garage, so I could leave the car in various stages of undress every now and again and actually had some space to do things:
I powder coated the wheels.
I hated the barn door lights, so we from the above to:
These are Jass performance, and are really nice bits of kit for sensible money.
(http://shop.jassperf... ... uct_id=108)
I then bought these:
and refurbed, them, but in the mean time bought these, and have fallen in love:
These are stupidly expensive but I love them. A lot of people don't.
I swapped the enormous legal number plate for a more aesthetically pleasing one (although, dubious leaglity):
I got a red hood cover for a supidly low price:
I bought some generic gas struts and got them to work:
One of the door cards had got wet, because some genius decided to remove the wetherproof sheet from the inside. So I made some more (not yet covered).
At the same time my daughter decided to stickerbomb my interior:
I have gone through 4 sets of wing mirrors, and have settled on the the vittaloni california cheapo copies you see above. Can see absolutely fuck all, but I like the way they look. That is ridiculous, isn't it. (Note to self - I can no longer abuse anybody for form over function errors in judgement)
I fitted some Meister Zeta-S suspension I bought 12 months previosuly. Currently set up pretty soft due to pot holed roads over here, but completely transform the handling from the (possibly) 20 year old billies. No pics of ride hight, but just a little lower than stock.
My cat disintegrated, so fitted a new(old) cat and 2nd hand cat back cheapo ebay system:
It is a little chavvy for me, but it is not mentally loud.
I then moved onto projects that would just take my time, rather than lots of money. Really wanted to get rid of centre console and tidy up the tombstone panel, and so started work on that:
then painted with stone finish plastikote paint to try to get the OEM look finish.
Then sand downthe bumps a bit, and spray in black:
Did the dash cowl, tombstone and steering column surround. Has come out pretty well actually:
Ripped out stereo and made a new switch panel too:
Added a small lip to the toombstone at the same time, to mixed reviews. I have a ducktail spoiler to go on the boot lid too (sat in a box in my garage for a number of months)
Haven't covered the main console plank yet, but will do eventually when I do door cards as well.
Ducktail is Vindi - like this one:
Fitted some aluminium indicator stalks, don't have great pics, but you can see them in the above interior pics. (http://www.mx5nutz.c...showtopic=92717)
Replaced and relocated washer bottle to skuttle in front of windscreen. No pics, but one of these
Did a spare cam cover in crackle black, yet to fit:
And my current project (I know the rest is not finished yet, but they all require money...) is a smoothed front bumper.
Various places as inspiration, Stoly from clubroadster and then also smac who made his own (pretty much copied his method).
Filled holes with expanding foam, fibre glassed over them, and then used filler. This is my first body work venture, and pretty sure I have used WAY too much filler... but we will see:
Just need to smooth reflector holes, and finish off the light recesses and I am nearly done.
Have a prototipo as well:
But like the feel of the dished nardi more, so gone back to that for now.
So, currently looks like this:
- I have a de-powered steering rack to put in, but undecided at the moment. Want to see if in I can drive somebody's first.
- Ducktail to go on
- New boot carpet
- Most important is to get sills sorted, rusting badly.
Future plans (this is all fantasy by the way):
- Re-cover recaros (Red alcantara)
- Re-cover rest of interior (Red leather or alcantara)
- New carpet
- Shorty Rear bumper (http://www.carbonmia... ... duct_id=81) Think I have managed to get this as christmas present from my wife
- Full respray
- (If I don't sell it) Do something with hard top
Have realised after doing this that I have actually done quite a lot... but there is so much further to go.