-1 reply to this topic

#1 AndyMk2

AndyMk2

~

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15498 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

You may or may not be aware that Nutz has a built-in topic tagging system.

This works similarly to Twitter and Instagram, whereby content is assigned a short tag to group it together with similar topics. This makes for very quick searching around related information and is extremely useful if used correctly.

Here is how to make best use of it:

When creating a new topic you will see a box for entering a title, and underneath a box for entering a maximum of 10 tags.

In the example below (which is so simple a child could understand it), I'm creating a topic about fruit and have added relevant good tags so that my topic is grouped with other fruity topics for future searching about fruit related things.

Posted Image

Tags work best when they are kept short, simple, and memorable. An obscure tag will be of no use as it is unlikely others will enter the same tag. Here is an example of a bad tag

Posted Image

And here is another...

Posted Image

I hope you can see that these tags are too complicated, and are unlikely to be linked to related information.

Here is my fixed version...

Posted Image

Ok so far? Good.

Now that we have created our good tags go ahead and post your topic.

Let us now look at how tags are actually used once created.

In the picture above you can see the pop-up text that indicates tags can be clicked on to find other topics with the same tag.

In this example I'm interested in individual throttle bodies and want to find other topics using the "ITB" tag. So I click on it and get...

Posted Image

Look at all that info about throttle bodies!

Tags are not case sensitive so you don't have to capitalise correctly to use them. One final example, here is a topic about exhausts for the Mk3, so I've added the tag "Mk3 Exhaust".

Posted Image

Which enables me to search for related info thusly...

Posted Image

Pretty neat eh?

You can also search tags using the Forum advanced search function. In the example below I'm just searching for the tag "RX8".

Posted Image

Then...

Posted Image

But you can also search multiple tags using a comma like so:

Posted Image

Giving the result...

Posted Image

You'll also notice at the bottom of a tagged topic are a maximum of 5 related topics.

So to sum up, creating good tags makes Nutz easier to use for us all.

Now get out there and get tagging...

or else! :dinosaur:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users