• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zeap101

Zeap101

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

Hi folks, I've inherited an 2003 1.8 in red but there isn't a paint code sticker anywhere Inc the door sill area.

I've tried to find the code online but I am struggling. I had assumed it was just classic red, but having bought a tin from halfords, the cap colour does not look the same.

Can anyone advise me on the likely name and colour of the paint? Thanks in advance.

#2 bsundays

bsundays

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

If 2003 it's probably Eternal Red (A3E), which is basically the same colour but with a lacquer. I think they phased out Classic Red (SU) before then.

Red is a difficult colour to match as it's one of the worst for fading, the lacquer probably helps with that - but be warned that whatever you end up with probably won't be perfect - which might explain the discrepancy you're seeing.

So the colour you have is probably fine, you just need a clearcoat too.

I'd go for a colour matched can from somewhere like MX5Heaven - I use Halfords for all sorts of things but I'm not sure how much I'd trust their factory matched paints.

#3 Zeap101

Zeap101

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:33 AM

Cheers mate. I had no idea. I literally though all the mx5 cars where classic red. As you say the red on the halfords can for classic red looks more brown/ burgundy in colour. I actually bought a tin of gloss red generic stuff from a DIY shop for £1.50 and it seems to match better 😂

I may just use that as its just to tidy up and seal up the inner arches in an attempt to slow down the rust (as it's now garaged and is only going to be used the odd time)

#4 Zeap101

Zeap101

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:36 AM

It also definitely has a lacquer top coat as there's loads of peel and spotting etc. But I don't think the wing mirrors are lacquered as they have brightened right up with a machine polish and has cut through to primer on some sharp edges.

Mazda cutting corners!

#5 bsundays

bsundays

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

Or more likely they've been replaced/repainted by a previous owner - although I wouldn't put it past Mazda to save a few quid on clearcoat for the mirrors :P

#6 Zeap101

Zeap101

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

Just to update, I've rattle canned the wing mirrors with the halfords paint and to be fair, it looks the same colour to me.  Just the job

#7 bsundays

bsundays

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

Nice one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users