1 Hour Into Owning The Car And I Say Hello To A Ditch! - Your driving stories - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

1 Hour Into Owning The Car And I Say Hello To A Ditch!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

So here goes, I literally just picked up the little MX5 we were stuck in traffic on the motorway ( me and a car behind), so decided to take the back roads home as it wasn't far to go at all.  As we went through one of the lanes home ( it was wet) I obviously tried to exit the corner with a bit too much accelerator pedal action then back end kicked out and started spinning knowing exactly where i was heading! tried to catch it. spun it 180 degrees luckily, and went side on into a good 6foot ditch full of water!

As the water was rushing in through the window, i unwound it  as fast as i could, turned off the engine and climbed out! At this point it was filling up fast.

1st thing to malfunction was the clifford alarm! as it's now going mentle in a ditch flashing away. one bloke pulled over to see if i was alright, , i was fine and way more worried about getting the car out before it flooded.

I couldn't believe my luck i was no further than 1 miles away from home as well! got the second car to go home, grab my car while i tried for a tow truck. tried using my other car to get it out with a tow rope! haha what was i thinking, we had no chance! at this point water was up to the dash.

i ran took my other car to the closes garage i could find,m luckily there was a tow truck there! got him to give us a hand! 

I hooked the winch up to the Toe eye on the front then climbed back into the car to sort the steering so it would come out at a good angle and not roll onto it's roof.

an hour later we managed to get the thing out!

Funny thing was only 2 people stopped! To busy i guess!

Got it towed home for £60 disconnected the battery then left her to sit for a bit.

Water was still everywhere in the car and the amount of swamp mud/ stuff that was under and inside the car was insane.

11060251_10152925592692466_4863165764500

#2 junk yard dog

junk yard dog

apologising from the heart of my bottom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5805 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

if it's wet on the passenger floor lift the carpet so it can dry as the ECU is under there

if you want to drive it with spirit then a few track lessons will be your best option  :thumb-up:

JOHN 07814 010991
CALLS ONLY NO TEXTS THANKS OR JUST SEND A PM

Posted Image

Posted ImageCRANK LOCKING TOOLS £12 POSTED

mk2/2.5 chassis repair sections £35 each posted

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

to see a guide of them being fitted click the link... http://www.mazdamend...php?f=35&t=4102

#3 Drew.

Drew.

少し ロバ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate start to ownership, that really does stuck.

Sounds like the car was quite literally fitted with ditch finder tyres?

NA RS-Ltd / SGI rods / SuperTech 8.6:1 / ACL / ARP  / Boundary  Pump / T2860 Turbo / FM Inconel studs / 600cc EV14 / Flat top inlet Manifold / MS2e ECU / '99 head / FM Stage 1 clutch / Coolant re-route / Oil cooler / 2.5" exhaust / Meister's / TRL GP bar / 6UL's / 949 Racing Front and rear brake kit / 250 Bhp & 230 Ft/Lbs @ the wheels

#4 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

oh i've stripped the whole car! i would post pictures but no sure if allowed.

Seats are out, carpet is out ,all wires and plugs were disconnected, fusebox was soaked and submerged so i took every fuse i could find out and left to dry out.the stench from the mud was nasty!

funny thing was none of the fuses blew or relays, just the clifford alarm went mental. I jacked it up, put it on axle stands cleaned the whole underbody, ripped off the majority of the dash and it's components. got the heat gun on all the plug and fuse boxes ( both).

Pulled the rubber grommets out to drain the car out! haha it was like a boat full of water! and not much body damage was done, only what i did climbing in and ut of the car to adjust the steering. apart from one big ish dent on the front with, which i just pulled out. check no water was in the ignition coil and plugs, waited for the alarm and immobiliser to dry out, then moment of truth tried to start it! and it id but the alarm was going off mentle still.  couldn't believe it started 1st time!

the amount of Stuff that came out that exhaust was insane!

#5 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate start to ownership, that really does stuck.

Sounds like the car was quite literally fitted with ditch finder tyres?

And yes it had horrible budget tyres! that will be addressed shortly along with some new Rota Br alloys :)

#6 dave65

dave65

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

at least you got away with very little damage, i bought my mx5 a few days ago and driving home last night in the rain gave it a little to much throttle on a tight bend and nearly swapped ends but managed to catch it.

#7 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

at least you got away with very little damage, i bought my mx5 a few days ago and driving home last night in the rain gave it a little to much throttle on a tight bend and nearly swapped ends but managed to catch it.

atleast you caught it! and yeah, this car WAS immaculate. not so much anymore! but hey ho, it's a project car anyways so id doesn't really matter!

#8 Ben-R

Ben-R

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Rotten bit of luck there Maniacmart, good to hear you're ok and you've cracked on with sorting it out.

New tyres definitely top of the shopping list! :-)
1992 1.6 Eunos in Classic Red, MeisterR Zeta-S, Flyin Miata Level 1 Clutch, Competition Clutch Ultralight Flywheel, Torsen Type 1, TR Lane GPV Roll Bar, 1.8 Brake Upgrade with Roddisons Pads, MX5 Parts Stainless Exhaust & Decat, AEM Wideband, MX5Dan Alloy Radiator & Silicone Hoses, Aircon Delete, AFM Delete, Wipac Crystal lights with Bosch Pure Light, Flash to Pass, Alloy Washer Bottle

My Build Thread: http://www.mx5nutz.c...opic=220641&hl=

83639DFF-F136-498C-BDBA-AB34B22185A1_zps

#9 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

Rotten bit of luck there Maniacmart, good to hear you're ok and you've cracked on with sorting it out.

New tyres definitely top of the shopping list! :-)

Most definitely along with wider alloys! haha

#10 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Yeah.... can be tricky in the wet. Welcome to the Madhouse...

#11 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yeah.... can be tricky in the wet. Welcome to the Madhouse...

haha thanks! im so glad the next day was sunny :) 

11703168_10152925591977466_8373636948562

#12 triple j

triple j

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear about that lad, it shouldn't happen u again.

#13 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

Sorry to hear about that lad, it shouldn't happen u again.

it's all good a learning experience!! at least she still runs!

#14 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • 9608 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

Yes, you definately flooded it.

Good to hear you kept a clear head. Water coming in like that can soon ruin your hair.

An aqua vac would probably give you a good head start

89 Greddy. FMIC. EMB. LC-1. Gauge linearisation. Walbro+Relay. Racing Mazda ceramic downpipe with split mod. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM adjustable roll bars. FM rails. HD engine mounts. 1.8 Brakes with m/c brace. Later gearbox. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop. Sunglasses holder, footwell lights.

#15 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Yes, you definately flooded it.

Good to hear you kept a clear head. Water coming in like that can soon ruin your hair.

An aqua vac would probably give you a good head start

haha not only the hair, my clothes  my phone was dunked and left in the car along with the coat! and wallet! and the immobiliser battery fob thing! .

yeah i had a wet vac at home so what ever the grommet holes didn't clear, the wet vac did! haha.

#16 atlex

atlex

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

go find an empty carpark to learn the limits in :D

congrats on surviving!

#17 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

go find an empty carpark to learn the limits in :D

congrats on surviving!

i got one better, a track! haha after i get some decent tyres all round!

#18 Dr Eunos

Dr Eunos

Dr. Eunos

• Members
  • 5466 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

I do like `Lagoona Blues` - do you have a photo of the numberplate, just so I never buy yours? Lol!

Good luck getting it de-watered and pond-life free, Mark at Penarth MX5s can always fit you up with a new interior or wet-vac the stench out of your carpets and seats.

BRGNA Porthcawl no longer applies- `Green Meanie` now sold, `Lightning MxQueen` now sold.
3,500ml trip to 2013 F1 Monza GP  with lots of photos here Current cars:
Mazda 6 Sport 2.5 petrol. Family Shitter! Current Roadster . 1994 Eunos J2-Ltd

#19 penarthmx5parts

penarthmx5parts

MARK AT TOTAL MX5 REPAIRS

• Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Oh dear that is a shame. hope you get the smell out  :whistle:

Please be aware my brain knows exactly what to type but my fingers have other ideas.

Spleing and grandma is not my strong point sorry

#20 Maniacmart

Maniacmart

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Oh dear that is a shame. hope you get the smell out  :whistle:

haha there's nothing in the car anymore, bar the one seat i pressure washed soaked in degreaser and soap pressure washed again then ried as good as i could! shame the weathers not hot. it's a tad damp but hopefully will dry out soon!

I do like `Lagoona Blues` - do you have a photo of the numberplate, just so I never buy yours? Lol!

Good luck getting it de-watered and pond-life free, Mark at Penarth MX5s can always fit you up with a new interior or wet-vac the stench out of your carpets and seats.

i'll run this to it's death haha, no need for any new interior it was going to get stripped down anyways but if anyone else has that issue i'll send them in that direction!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users