Highest Reputation Content - Forums

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Highest Reputation Content

#1307375 Fao People With Very Low Cars

Posted by Brg Jay on 20 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

I must use the stupidest method ever! Jack the car up with the standard scissor jack enough to get the trolley jack underneath!

#1287406 The Mx5 Restorer Now Providing A 3 Year Guarantee On Welding Repairs

Posted by Garath on 23 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

At The MX5 Restorer, we have been carrying out high quality welding repairs on MX5's for a number of years now, and during this time we have perfected our skills, and fully tested the products and materials that we use.

So we are now in a position to confidently provide a 3 year guarantee against any of our repairs failing an MOT

The customer will be provided with a certificate that will indicate where the car was repaired, and what date the guarantee expires, this will also be transferable between owners, so it will be a good selling point for the car.

Garath

#1410496 Very Very Close Shave Could Have Died In The Mx5 In Scotland

Posted by Don on 26 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

From "Landrover-scotland" forum:

"You'll never believe what I saw on Sunday. I was out picking up some haggis and illegally distilled whisky from my mate and on the way home I came across 2 silly english fuckers in a poofy little MR2. I thought there was some sort of emergency the way they flagged me down. I wasn't going to stop but they'd parked in the middle of the fucking road and I couldn't get past very easily. Honest to god, you should have seen them. They were shivering - claimed it was something to do with skidding on ice but I think they'd actually stopped at the side of the road for a shag in the snow covered bushes and had got a chill. I fucking hate tourists."

#1219180 I'm Basically Dominic Torretto

Posted by nickbee on 30 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

an open top bright red Ferrari... The driver sat at the lights giving a V12 sound demonstration with blips of the throttle.

An open-topped V12 Ferrari is a rare thing indeed. 550 Barchetta?

I was strolling down the street the other day and this guy walked past me, wearing these really expensive trainers. I'm not sure what he thought he was trying to do but I wish I'd seen the look on his face when I sprinted past him, giving him the finger as I went. What an idiot, walking around in trainers when he can't even run. By the time I got to McDonalds my wife was three hundred feet behind me carrying all the shopping and I could tell from the look on her face she wanted me there and then.

#1504723 Fitted Stretch Tyres And They Have Started Leaking?

Posted by NickD on 04 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hendjay, while I am typing this other replies are coming in so this post will be out of sequence. The problem with the internet is that if you ask a question then you may get given the information you asked for, or you may just get told you are unwise in many different ways, that is the internet.

I think it is pretty clear here that the stretch you have on those tyres is not a wise thing to do. The line between cool and stupid is often in the eye of the beholder and where I live there is a strong Dub scene. The Rat look has been done to death and I think it is retarded, however even though they must require a new spine after each drive and have to plan routes to avoid speed bumps, I have to admit there are some pretty cool looking Polo's running around, wouldn't want to drive one though.

However, back to tyres. It is the air in a tyre that supports the weight of the car and allows the tyre to operate. if you remove the air in a normal tyre and rim situation the or even just run at low pressure, the sidewall collapses and the rim runs on the sidewall of the tyre, chafes the inside face removing the rubber and basically wears through the sidewall. This is not a slow process. Even at 30mph, limping a flat tyre to a layby a couple of hundred yards away will destroy it.

Here is an under inflated tyre. The owner wanted it balancing as he was getting vibration at speed!

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Here is one the Mrs made earlier. She hit a curb and then drove 100 yards to park it.

Looks OK on the outside.

IMAG0380.jpg

The inside is a different story

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Run flat tyre are made differently. They have additional strengthening and rubber in the bead area designed specifically to stop the side wall collapsing and allowing the rim to run on the inner edge of the tyre. What you have assumed or been told that stretch tyres will act as run flats is absolutely untrue.

While I have never seen the result of this particular action, I can guess pretty much what would happen.

Here is a sidewall from a tyre. This was cut out of a tyre by the metal tab that holds the arch liner rubbing on the side wall of the tyre in half a lap of Cadwell Park, so about 1 mile. As you can see, side walls have no strength and very little too them.

IMAG0641.jpg

As you lost air from the tyre, with that stretch you would just begin to run on the side wall just above the bead. It would wear through quite quickly. Even if it didn't the air forcing the bead into the seat would go and so the bead, already under pressure to unseat, would have nothing to hold it in place and the tyre would just pop off the rim, same effect as a total blow out only more so as with most blow outs the tread is still on the side walls which are still on the rims. And even if things did not happen in that order the heat generated as the pressure reduces is usually also sufficient to destroy the tyre pretty quickly too.

Some people have equally flawed wisdom that filling the tyre with tyre sealant is a good way to stop all this, it's not because stretch tyres suffer side wall damage easily and sealant just masks problems until they become big enough for the tyre to go pop.

#1219227 I'm Basically Dominic Torretto

Posted by mazdachris on 30 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Reminds me of a few weeks ago. I’d been to Wickes to pick up a few bags of gravel (I’d been doing some gardening that weekend). On the way home, I pull up at the lights, and what should happen to pull up next to me? Only a bloody Zonda C12. I looked across at the driver. Some old guy. This really pissed me off; what’s this old duffer doing driving a car like that? I could tell he wanted to race me, by the way he was pretending to look totally disinterested. I knew that if all things were equal, my MX5 would be no match for the Zonda. The Zonda has its engine in the middle, you see, meaning it has more traction than my car off the line. However, he what he didn’t know was that in my boot I had two large bags of industrial grade gravel pushing my mismatching rear tyres into the tarmac. I weighed up my chances in my head. Even with my added advantage of the gravel in the boot, it would seem like a difficult battle. But I was still outraged at the audacity of this coffin dodger driving a supercar.

I Looked down at the centre console, and selected my favourite dubstep CD on the stereo, blipped the throttle, then selected first. No. This was a proper race. I selected second gear instead. Waited. The lights went amber. I floored the throttle and dropped the clutch. The car lurched forward then bogged down. Idiot! I should have accounted for the extra traction from the rear ballast, and used first gear instead! The Zonda had pulled away slightly, but I could see that the situation was not totally lost. I pumped the clutch and kicked it again, this time getting the revs into the power band.

The Zonda driver had managed to minimise his wheelspin by pulling away slowly, however his mistake was not pressing the throttle properly. This is where I knew I had the advantage; being an experienced street racer, I knew that if he didn’t fully press the throttle pedal, he wouldn’t receive the benefit of the torque from the engine. This was high level stuff, that they certainly don’t teach you at the BSM! I took my chance and pressed my throttle fully. It worked exactly as planned. I started to make back some of the ground I had lost when I nearly stalled it.

I could hear him shifting gears, and calculated that he couldn’t have been using more than about 3-4000rpm. Again, his inexperience was showing itself here; if he’d have let the engine rev higher, it would have delivered more power and he may have stood a chance. It wasn’t a mistake I was about to make. I kept my right foot nailed to the bulkhead as the revs slowly climbed. We were now neck-a-neck, and must have been reaching speeds of nearly 45mph. I was really getting my engine into the power band now.

I was a little bit concerned about having temperature problems, but as I was only about a mile into my journey the engine was nice and cold. I could feel the power building, and as the revs climbed my nose pulled ahead. He had already changed to fourth gear while I was still in second. As I hit the redline, I used another of my racing techniques; a full throttle gearshift! I knew that Mazda had built a device to stop the engine over-revving, called a rev limiter, to allow just such a technique. I mashed my foot onto the clutch and heard the familiar ‘pupupupup!’ of the rev limiter doing its job. I thrust the shifter into third and dropped the clutch, feeling it slip under the huge power delivery at high revs.

I had pushed my car to its limit and used all of my techniques against a lesser driver, and proved once and for all that my skill and my beautifully engineered sports car are more than a match for your average supercar.

#1442727 Like Button

Posted by rosko on 25 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I can see this ending in tears and some major falling out. Most of this will occur in the 'Random Disclosure Thread' Where passions run high! I would like to propose that it is removed from this Thread. :thumb-up:  

#1432023 Benefit Capped At 26K

Posted by Calmdown on 15 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Social Welfare isn't difficult to fix.

Take the money away completely. Increase overseeing personnel for the distribution of it. Let people earn it back, like a wage.

I.E.

You're looking for work - Government rates 7 hours of work per interview, at adjusted wage related to the mean income level.
You're going to school in a government accredited field of study: X Hours of wages per credit hour, and school is paid for.
You're not looking for work, but perform community service: Welcome to jobville, where you earn an hourly wage.
You're medically incapable of working: Here's the minimum.
You're working but it's not enough: Government matches to the minimum, then provides a mild incentive for attempting to go further.

You're not looking for work, can't be arsed going to school, refuse to do community service, and don't have a doctors note: Welcome to Starve-ville, population you. Starvation and eviction are prime motivators.

There's plenty of shit that needs doing in and around the country.

#1389416 I'm Pissed Off With Wife's Comments On My 5 Spendings!

Posted by Dumbiron on 07 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well as far as i see it....

If i spend money on the car it either goes , stops ,handles or looks better. Last year i was pestered into buying (and fitting a kitchen) and her cooking is still crap !! Total waste of money :rolleyes:

#1326279 Another 24 Hours To Go Then...

Posted by Hamez on 20 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm going to strip naked and curl up in a ball in the corner of the room on my haunches and cry uncontrollably whilst rocking back and forth clutching a picture of my ex-girlfriend to use as a masturbatory aid.

I mean, I know it's the end of the world tomorrow but Thursday is still Thursday and I don't like to break routine.

#1307191 Someone's Just Rear Ended Me

Posted by Masaq on 20 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

its on their insurance not his champ!

Where the hell do you think the other party's insurance company is going to get the money to pay out the claim from? A magic tree of money? George Osborne just giving them brand new coins from the Royal Mint? Maybe they make replica coins from the crushed bodies of accident damaged cars? No, try again...

Hint: It's the premiums their customers pay.

Fraudulent claims are paid for by everyone else. I have no problem with Jon or anyone else claiming for damages they genuinely receive in an accident - but parasites claiming for shite that hasn't happened to them cost *me* money every renewal time and I take that pretty bloody personally. Ever bitched about the cost of insurance? Congratulations, it's your own fault for encouraging fraud.

Jon, hope you and anyone else involved are okay... Try not to stress over the damage to the car, it's only money and metal, and can be repaired or replaced. You can't.

#1255200 Too Many Armchair Drivers

Posted by miles on 12 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Great Britain has become a nation of saddos looking to take offence at everything and everyone. Take everything personally as they like to believe that the rest of the world has slightest intrest in them. Creating offence out of absolutely fuck all to try and inject some drama into their sad pathetic nothing lives. Same with cunts that just sit in the right hand lane just to piss people off.

#1444643 Random Disclosure Thread

Posted by rosko on 27 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Looks like the 'Like button has killed this conversation'

#1431902 Benefit Capped At 26K

Posted by Drewcole81 on 15 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Why should I work 6 days a week to EARN not much more than someone else sitting on there arse.

I'm not that narrowed minded to think that there aren't people out there who actually actively seek work or are really unable to work, but we all know there are just some lazy people who would rather take a hand out for free.

I can't afford to go out at the weekends and drink, I can't afford to really run my car, I can't afford to keep the heating on all the time, I can't afford to go out and eat or have days out.... do I claim for anything.. No, I work harder and earn more money.

I'm in the view that if people are taking hand outs then they should have to go and assist in community projects to give something back, like litter picking of public spaces, gardening, assisting at OAP homes unskilled works that do not require any more training or money spending on having them there than is really needed.

#1417043 Which Make Of Car Attracts The Worst Drivers...

Posted by robinm on 01 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

We've just driven back from Norfolk on the A149 / A148 / A47, all major trunk roads with variable (but mostly 60 MPH) speed limits.

Over 140 miles, using Satnav, we were able to accurately gauge the speed of your average 'Flidmobile' (sorry about that, but that's what we call them) = between 38 and 43 Mph, in a 60.

Invariably behind these useless drivers there builds up a huge train of drivers all actually trying to get somewhere ..

The vehicles they drive are always the same (so at least you can spot them easily), it's your usual 'Motability' fodder, small Kia's, Vauxhall Agila's (disgusting car) anything small boxy and ugly, usually the WRONG colour as well.

These are Britain's worst drivers in our book.

If, on your test, you drove at 38 Mph in a 60 Mph zone you'd be quite rightly failed for 'not making progress' .. These people should be stopped! They are a danger as normal drivers do mad things in sheer frustration trying to get by.. If these offending motorists in their Flidmobiles can't drive at 60 Mph safely, they should have their licences revoked.

Too slow is just as dangerous as too fast.

#1270133 Sunday Cyclists

Posted by JQ. on 01 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'm not concidderate towards the outwardly inconcidderate. I pick up where there parents failed. I will happily have my passenger give them a push lol

It's such a shame yours never taught you how to spell, or even use a spellcheck.

A far as i'am concerned their all WANKERS.

Why am I a wanker, do you even know me? How about about my wife - why is she a wanker? And my kids - you really go round calling toddlers wankers?

DEATH TO SYKLISTS!!!!!!!1 DEY DONT EVN PAY ROWD TAKS!!!!!

:yes: :yes:

I don't mind cyclists... but when the council have given them a CYCLE LANE and they still use the ROAD that's where I get angry at the fact that they are taking up the road.

Because in many instances they're bloody dangerous (full of potholes and detritus), completely ineffective (stopping at each road junction) and often filled with pedestrians and cars. It's also recommended that they're not used when travelling at over 18mph, which many cyclists do.

Cyclists are a pain in the arse on the open road. What annoys me is when they ride 5ft from the kerb holding up traffic when they don't need to. When I ride (not that often these days) I try and keep as close to the kerb as possible, as there is less chance of someone hitting me.

It's called taking the primary position. It stops lazy car drivers squeezing past when it's dangerous to the cyclist rather than "overtaking" as they would a car. Research has shown that cyclists who cycle in the gutter are more likely to be killed on the roads - women on shopping bikes, who are easily bullied, are the most likely to be killed.

Cyclists cycle assertively for their own protection. The standard of driving on the UK roads is appalling and generally cyclists are on the receiving end of it - it's quite scary to have 1.5ton of steel brush your elbow as you're going 20mph or have a car turn across your path. In 20 years of driving I've probably had 2 proper shit my pants moments driving a car. In the last 2 years of cycling I have one every few weeks, all as a result of incompetent drivers - had I not been alert to each incident death or serious injury was the likely result. I reality, I experience bad driving that puts my life in danger every day I'm on my bike, however, 99% of the time I can predict what's going to happen and make allowances, however, it's 1% that catch you out.

Seriously, if you can't overtake a cyclist safely then perhaps you should hand back your licence as you're obviously not competent.

#1502329 Fitted Stretch Tyres And They Have Started Leaking?

Posted by Masaq on 01 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Why this is happening: incorrectly sized tyres.
What you can do about it: fit correctly sized tyres.

I'm just guessing.