#1 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi there lads,

I've been eyeballing this forum for a while now and have posted in a few topics so I figured it was time to show my own vehicle. First a little bit about myself; My name is Bop Westerduin, I'm 22 years of age, Mechanical Engineer at a major steel contractor by trade and I live in the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

It all started back in early 2012 when I was about to go on an internship for Uni(in the UK) and I needed a ride. I'd been a big fan of the Miata/MX-5/Eunos for a few years now so I was keeping a close eye on Pistonheads Classifieds. The car that got my interest was this:

3579555-1.jpg

A hideously styled, striped and civic-lipped Roadster. That wasn't what I saw though, because underneath all that uglyness hid a 1993-built 1.8l Eunos Roadster R-package with 180k km on the clocks. When I went to the UK for a first meeting with my soon-to-be boss I went to see the car, test drove it and bought it then and there. Back in Holland I registered the car first thing and that was it; I was now the proud owner(technically my dad because I couldn't register it on my own name yet because I was under 21) of one of 3 Eunosses in our lowly country.

IMG_0781.jpg

Next thing I did was rip off the stripes and some of the abundant chrome bits and give the car a proper polish in an attempt to get the imprint/fade of the stripes off. I also attacked some surface rust(which has now proven to be some serious tin worm) and, after having sexytime with a curb, I changed the left-front lower arm. Next thing that needed going were the 17" wheels.

540723_10200574773944470_1680015653_n.jp

I found some period correct (German) wheels and fitted an OEM lip. The pic above was taken just after I returned home from my 6-months stint at Hayward Rotary in the UK, which was where I did my internship. Whilst over there, I put some KONI springs on my Bilstein sport dampers creating a nice rideheight. I also went to a few Time Attack rounds with a sponsored driver, did some laps at Castle Combe and drove a lot of spirited miles on B-roads. The result: my 1.8 was getting smokier by the day, I blew both my rear dampers on a massive pothole near where I stayed and my clutch was slowly dying. I had also thoroughly fallen in love with the Mazda rotary engine.

DSC_0799.jpg

Having had the chance to drive everything from a stock RX-8 to a 600bhp single turbo FD3S I had really caught the wankel bug. The power distribution, character and SOUND of the 13b family is such an addicting thing that I needed that in my life. So why not stick a 13B in my Roadster? was what I asked myself.

Plans were made, money was saved, ferries were booked and during the summer holidays in 2013 I went back to the UK to do some work. The plan was; 2 weeks of working whilst getting all the bits and then 2 weeks of swappage. Things rarely go according to plan though, and because of some intense busyness my swap was pushed back meaning that we had to do the entire thing in 5 days. This meant that I drove home the same day as the engine first ran with an untuned engine idling at 3k RPM, but I had to be home the next morning since I had to move house :o

Anyways, during my time in the UK I did...

DSC_0777.jpg

.. some measuring which showed me that unless I went dry-sump or deleted my steering rack I would have to cut the tunnel. I also did...

DSC_0741.jpg

.. some part sourcing, ...

DSC_0754.jpg

..some rotor cleaning...

DSC_0761.jpg

... some engine prep work, ....

IMG-20130726-WA0015.jpg

.. and sometimes nourishing some refreshments and replenishing my mojo. The build was taking longer, was getting more expensive(I was still on a student budget) and we ecountered more problems than initially expected.

Feeling fresh again I went on to...

DSC_0774.jpg

... do some hybrid gearbox building as I wanted to retain the PPF..

DSC_0826.jpg

... and also installing some proper suspension(2nd hand) since the Billies were shot.

After those 4 weeks of intense work the enginebay looked something like this:

IMG-20140301-WA0046.jpg

This is the initial setup, the goal was to get the engine run in and see how everything would hold up. After driving the car like this for 3500km I haven't had a single mechanical issue with it. It still needs tuning, but before I go back to the UK to do that I wanted to rip the whole car apart again and fix the things I don't really like. The above image was taken at some time in 2014 and this was pretty much what the engine bay looked like until I took the car apart last December. The next post will be about the changes I've made since then, so keep an eye on here ;)

I'll leave you with this pic:

15821753393_886d934b32_b.jpg

Bye for now,

Bop

#2 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Another awesome build! Had an inkling it was rotary when I clicked on the thread haha. car looks fantastic!  :drool:

1994 Eunos 1.8 S-Special/ 290bhp/ 325Nm @ 17.5psi/ megasquirtpnp2/ TD04 13l heat wrapped/ Bentley actuator valve/ green cotton cone filter/ G19 rev 2 log manifold with damper/ G19 heat wrapped downpipe/ 3” custom exhaust from DP back/ 3" test pipe/ Front mounted intercooler/ Hard boost pipes/ 12 row oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate/ skunk2 64mm throttle body and modified inlet manifold/  Thermal gaskets/ Forge twin piston BOV/ RX8 yellow injectors/ GTR fuel pump/ Fat ally rad/ Twin cooling fans/ Short drop HEL braided clutch line/ Hel braided brake lines/ flyin miata level 1 clutch/ Factory Roadster strut brace/ Soul tuning rad plate/ Zoom headlight vent & ghetto ducting/ GV lip/ Vindi fibreglass bootlid/ Jass stealth TSIs/ carbon fibre door mirrors, sill plates interior parts and binnacle/ Clear side repeaters/ P5 frame rails/ 5 race roll bar/ Brembo disks, Yellowstuff pads/ Boost gauge/ AEM wideband/ Lotus Elise 111S seats/ jass interior toggle switches/ Jass retro gauge surrounds, faces and caps/ Eibach thick front and rear sway bars/ HSD Monopro fully adjustable coilies/ Blink 'Road Warrior' alignment/ terracleaned fuel system/ Nas alcantara small wheel/ Rota RB 15x8”/ Yoko AD08R/ Stick on front plate/ Reverse LED fog conversion/ Slim amp and upgraded door speakers/ stainless teardrops/ JDM chequered mats/ CAT 1 alarm immobiliser/ Timing belt and pump Sept 2014/ Fully treated & under-sealed March 2016…

#3 titch

titch

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4595 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Brilliant! And no messing about with getting the engine in.

Form and/or Function - A blog in association with CombustionPunks. - Last updated: 6/2/15

CombustionPunks on Facebook

And at the end of the day, there is NO better feeling in life than standing back, looking on at something, and being able to say "I did that, I made that happen, and I had a bloody good time doing it".

#4 Fizbne

Fizbne

Wholemeal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5190 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

DUDE. YES. I WANT A ROTARY 5. That thing must fly and feel absolutely amazing now, yus?!

-Currently on an MX5 Hiatus-

#5 kingkong

kingkong

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

Very nice ride Bop !

I see your lazy ass went with the 12a front cover  :point:  :hug:

Definitely a clean build mate. That makes me acking even more to finish mine.

You did your internship at Hayward the UK god of rotaries !!!!! Damn that must have been a freaking blast to work there. I might ask you a contact by the way; since i need my engine balanced and they don't answer to my emails.

Can you tell us more about your engine ? Porting ? 9.7 rotors ?

#6 Bobby G

Bobby G

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Awesome build man!  Would love to do a project like this!

#7 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks guys!

Very nice ride Bop !

I see your lazy ass went with the 12a front cover  :point:  :hug:

Definitely a clean build mate. That makes me acking even more to finish mine.

You did your internship at Hayward the UK god of rotaries !!!!! Damn that must have been a freaking blast to work there. I might ask you a contact by the way; since i need my engine balanced and they don't answer to my emails.

Can you tell us more about your engine ? Porting ? 9.7 rotors ?

Haha, thanks man! Yes, I went the lazy route but also because with my steering, exhaust and intake ALL on the same side of the engine I couldn't see an engine mount fitting in there. And as you know, there is lots of room in the front :D

What do you want balanced, the entire assembly or just some parts?

And about the engine: It's a freshly rebuilt 4port Renesis block with stock but polished ports and the high-compression rotors :) If at one point the engine decided to die(or I have money laying around) I'll do a streetport but for now I just wanted to see if it worked. After it has been tuned and I've done some improvements on the ignition I'll stick her on the Dyno and see what she does :) I'd say it should be able of around 200hp but power was never the goal here, I'm a firm believer of a well balanced car + hard driving.

Question back: I saw you and a few others have a tubular front subframe; where did you get that one from and how much do they cost if I may ask?

#8 C.lilliman

C.lilliman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

Lovely build and I can imagine it sounds immense! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your updates and power update.

Can I be rude and ask you how much this has cost thus far?

Check out my facebook page for everything from progress on my Mazda, to fixing Skylines and snapping Lamborghini's

https://www.facebook...misationByCraig

#9 Fizbne

Fizbne

Wholemeal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5190 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

Claire from crapengineering make tubular subframes for the 5's I thinks. Give her a shout :3

-Currently on an MX5 Hiatus-

#10 kingkong

kingkong

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

I need all the rotating assembly balanced since i mixed parts of many engines : eshaft, rotors, front and rear counterweight.

You are right about all the hardware on the exhaust side. But I can't help but thinking something is going to brake, seeing how wide the distance between the front mounts and the rear diff mount is. That put a lot of effort on everything, and a big moment arm on the PPF and front cover bolts. But seing how many 13b-swappers do it that way, maybe it is safe in the end.

Tubular subframe definitely helps with room for the exhaust and for everything else by the way. Fizbne beat me to it for Claire.

As for the engine, now that makes sense, many things weren't where they were supposed to be on your pic :)

#11 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Cheers guys!

Can I be rude and ask you how much this has cost thus far?

I would tell you if I knew :P At one point I stopped keeping track because it was negatively impacting my joyful feelings for this car.

If I had to take a wild guess though I think I've spent around €10k on the car and it's parts. That is spread out over a few years though and I've sold off stuff I didn't need.

You are right about all the hardware on the exhaust side. But I can't help but thinking something is going to brake, seeing how wide the distance between the front mounts and the rear diff mount is. That put a lot of effort on everything, and a big moment arm on the PPF and front cover bolts. But seing how many 13b-swappers do it that way, maybe it is safe in the end.

I can see your point, and I agree that on a very high HP car there would certainly be a massive strain on the drivetrain parts, but I feel that with my setup there shouldn't be much of a problem. My goal is to stay around 200hp, and with the improved engine mount that I'm building atm. I believe it will be strong enough. The bolts in the front cover are 4x M10 10.9 bolts so the front cover itself would be the first to break :ph34r:

#12 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Allrighty, lets bug you guys with a little update. First thing I did once the car was in the garage is:

16485671779_a8e4e33475_b.jpg
Order parts I don't yet need :D I then went ahead and...

16485675109_a59b5d2b03_b.jpg[/url]
... took the engine out to once and for all deal with the leaking mess that is my oil level sensor(in the sump and not used). Will be welded shut.

I then started taking some bits out of the engine bae

16485659719_b53621a4f3_b.jpg
Ghosts 'n stuff. There might be fallussus and aural synaps. 1up for those who get the reference!

I then went ahead and dropped the subframes:

16484280248_6cba1d0be4_b.jpg
As soon as I find some spare time I'll take them apart, get everything blasted and painted after which I'll install some SuperPro goodies :)

16051874813_c8c6f663ff_b.jpg
At first it looks like this;...

16645857966_989c4cf888_b.jpg
.. then like this;...

16484225878_b4bd02b73b_b.jpg
... and then like this. Atm the interior is completely stripped to ensure I won't set anything on fire :P

Final thing I did was start on my new hybrid gearbox:
16670805282_b71d179ef7_b.jpg

O, and my mate Stefans project is also coming along nicely:
16051868103_a644b9f118_b.jpg

Thats it for this time, C ya!

16049497894_4071ff0204_b.jpg

#13 kingkong

kingkong

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

Good to see some progress.

What about the hybrid gearbox ? What gearbox were you running initially ?

#14 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

I used to use an FB gearbox with a Miata tail section, the new box is a very fresh Miata box with the FB bellhousing and modified inputshaft. Had everything together yesterday but suddenly didn't want to shift so it needs to come apart again :(

#15 retrorodster

retrorodster

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Awesome build!

Trivial question - what wheels are they? Aluline?

Hotrodded Retro Roadster ::: 1994 1.8 Eunos Roadster S-Special ::: ME221, MAF delete, IAT/MAP sensors :: thick core rad, coolant reroute, relocated expansion tank, silicone water hoses, OST rad cooling panel, Flyin' Miata hood louvres ::: charcoal canister delete, full a/c delete, depowered steering rack, relocated washer bottle w/Ford fan washer jets, twin oil catch cans, Jass dipstick handle ::: scuttle intake duct, enclosed cone filter ::: Toyosports 4-2-1 manifold, decat, midpipe and centre exit Cherrybombs ::: P5 Sportdrive frame rails, Vindi twin retro rollbar ::: 15x7 Rota GT3 (Federal 595RS-R, 205/50) / 15x7 BBS Pininfarina (Toyo Snowprox S953, 195/50) ::: Koni Yellow dampers, Eibach 30mm springs, Tegiwa coilover socks ::: Sport brakes, YellowStuff pads, MBC brace ::: drilled front bumper, cut/drilled rear bumper, arches rolled/flared, spaced front wings, reflector delete, sidelight delete (sidelights/indicators relocated to front bumper), spoiler delete, Zoom filler cap, driver's side vented Lexan quarter window, driver's side overtaking mirror, fender mounted bullet mirrors, door mirrors deleted, aerocatches ::: Cobra Monaco S drivers seat (floor humps removed, sidemounted to floor, 4 point TRS harness), Cobra Monaco passenger seat (on sliders/adapters) ::: tunnel-mounted extinguisher, AC Cobra style sliding rearview mirror, leather door cards with retro pulls, leather centre tunnel cover, GarageStar tombstone blank, custom toggle switch panel, Jass aluminium gearknob & handbrake handle, remote battery cut-off mounted in cigarette lighter, billet wiper/indicator stalks, Driftworks quick release, NRG short hub, dished steering wheel, Gotta Dash classic fascia with RevLimiter Warbird dials/integrated low fuel circuit/shift light, Intellitronix digital tachometer, AEM wideband failsafe/oil temperature/water temperature gauges mounted in crash pad, hidden Bluetooth stereo, RevLimiter Warbird HVAC controls... and working on more...

#16 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

ACT ;)

#17 kingkong

kingkong

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:06 AM

Hey man, have you found out why the gearbox was stuck ?

#18 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Nope, not yet. :(

Spent the last two days stripping and sorting through the loom. Since my setup is so "retro" there were a lot of wires that I had previously took out that could be removed at the source. One thing I did find was that the wire that used to run the Tacho was routed via the ECU, and since that is gone I now have to find the tacho wire where it connects to the dashboard loom. Sadly I only had a 1.6 US/Canada Miata wiring diagram at hand which is of course 100% different from my former 1.8 Eunos loom.

I have all the remaining wires now back in ziptied back into the original shape of the loom, once I'm done prepping and painting the enginebay I'll lay them out the way I want them to go, add things like my wideband and oil temp sensor wires and tape everything back up. The goal of this exercise was primarily to simplyfy things and get rid of as many cut-off wires as possible. I'm not going balls-out wiretuckin' because that would take away the functionality and the ability to quickly troubleshoot should anything go wrong with th electrics.

I've also rebuilt my front brakes during the times when I got a bit fed up with the wiring mess. I'll try to take some pics of the progress soon :)

#19 Bop

Bop

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Quick pic of what arrived yesterday, bay is now primed so I'm just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer and I'll be able to put the paint on. Next up is making the new engine mount, just waiting for some material to turn up :)

16721292539_3f397dd708_b.jpg

#20 Jacks9olf

Jacks9olf

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:25 PM

I can't wait to see this running ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roadster, eunos, rotary, braaaaappp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users