1.8 Na M62 Supercharger Build - Page 7 - Forced Induction & N/A Power Mods - MX5Nutz Forum - Page 7

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

1.8 Na M62 Supercharger Build

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4815 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:11 PM

I believe that also only make 4-5psi on the mercs with the stock pulley as well.

Thats what I've read from multiple sources, thats why people swap them out due to how massive the clutched nose is (The crank pulley on the Merc is considerably larger than the mx5 so presumably they didnt want to overspin the charger and keep it reliable)

Mine is 450MM x 170MM x 65MM and rated for 350whp

Which intercooler did you use? Fleabay special or an mx5 one? I dont remember seeing it in your build write up but my memory is awful haha

I did look into the stock pulley ratios on the mercs recently and IIRC they spin the charger at about 11000rpm at red line (which is much lower than on an mx5), on an mx5 with the stock pulley they spin at about 9800rpm. The cars that came with an M62 made about 170-190hp depending on the car, but then they are larger displacement and that is crank not WHP so 4-5psi and 160-170whp on an mx5 seems reasonable based on this data.

I bought one off ebay, there is only one seller on ebay selling one in this size. Others are similar but taller and it looked like it might cause some fitting issues for me. I have ordered the kraken one now though, as I said if I cant get it to work on the SC car it is literally made for the turbo kit going on the track car. It comes with an IAT, BOV, hard pipes, couplers, clamps etc and I've selected one that fits with AC and PS so hoping it all ties up. I've also just had it confirmed it'll fit with my coolant reroute. The last thing is the intercooler in this kit has had tabs added to bolt onto the tie down hooks so there's no need to make/fit an extra brace for the bottom of the IC, just the normal top support bar etc. It will cost me £360 landed after tax. It's not cheap but when you consider a BOV is £50 ish, IAT £20, IC £90, IC piping £100-200, then you need all the clamps and couplers which can be £10 each, and all the faff to measure, cut, join and route individual little sections of pipe to get it to all fit the cost is way more than justified. I am 95% certain it'll fit as well, I can't really see how it can't, all the ARB, PS and AC is in the same position regardless of whether the car is SC or turbo so it must clear everything and route up the same way, the only difference is going to be the last little bit where it needs to connect to the SC outlet which I am going to have to solve myself, but given all the stuff I've already had to deal with like headers, strut bar, AC, racingbeat intake etc it should be really minor in comparison.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, adapted NA short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace, 3.9 type 2 torsen, 80A diff bushes, front tow hook, rear tow hook

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters, solid shifter bushes

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#122 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:12 PM

I noted the eBay M62 custom pulleys from Hungry mention 6PK belts, does that mean you need to swap the other pulleys or can you still run it 4PK? Pretty sure you can, just wanna check before I waste >£150! :D

You can us ea 4PK and just have 2 ribs with no belt aligned over it. All the mini KAVs pulleys are the same.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, adapted NA short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace, 3.9 type 2 torsen, 80A diff bushes, front tow hook, rear tow hook

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters, solid shifter bushes

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#123 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:15 PM

Also the Land Rover alternator option I saw in your thread:

I noted the eBay M62 custom pulleys from Hungry mention 6PK belts, does that mean you need to swap the other pulleys or can you still run it 4PK? Pretty sure you can, just wanna check before I waste >£150! :D

You can us ea 4PK and just have 2 ribs with no belt aligned over it. All the mini KAVs pulleys are the same.

The chap in Hungry has said it'll be about a month or so for one right now. Seems like there's a Land Rover alternator one you mentioned in your thread as an option, do you have more info about that? Not sure what model/year etc to look for.

#124 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:28 PM

Hmmm I wouldnt recommend the landrover pulley unless it does work out a lot cheaper. I've not looked into exactly which model is needed and exactly what needs doing to it. It needs custom machining work to be used and 63mm is really very small and will likely make enough power to pop a stock engine. I suppose you could get round this by dropping the engine rev limit to 6800 though. I'm sure the guy in Hungary can make just a different sized outter pulley if you needed one but had already bought a larger one to start with, or you could have one machined down further. However, the main issue with going that small is belt slip, I think a 4PK would really struggle, I've seen people struggle enough with 65mm pulleys with actual tensioners. The tighter it is the shorter time it'd last and more stress it'd put on the idler pulleys, they are already a yearly service item when used for these purposes, not sure I'd want to be doing them any more often.

Then again there are a few people running 59mm pulley on 4PK, I'm sure we dont hear the full extent of any difficulties but it doesnt appear to be enough to have stopped them using it.

#125 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:39 AM

If it's a cheaper, easier to acquire option I think I'd be pretty happy with a slightly lower rev limit to keep it in the safe range for the charger, but I haven't been able to find what pulley it is people are talking about except for a couple posts on here that mention it in passing.

Not too much progress made last week: intercooler and piping arrived, and damn yeah that's a tight fit. I think I might try to move the fan into the middle of the radiator to create a bit more space between the radiator and the ARB. Bottom mounts for the fan are seized solidly in place and access is a bit of a pain though. I had the broken remains of a front air guide there too, again totally seized in place. I've got a nice set of bolt extractors, but being that they're mounted on small plastic tabs of the bumper it was just trying to twist and snap the bumper. Might try to hold in place with pliers and drill them out carefully.

Ordered a DaveFab washer bottle to replace the standard one in the bumper since it's leaking and the brackets are rusted to bits. Removed the bolt that attaches it to the bumper and one 10mm nut I could see, but it's still not for shifting, so I think there's some hidden mount elsewhere. Maybe behind the bumper cover?

Lastly, Edd made me a nice little tensioner mechanism based on the pictures I showed him of the one earlier in this thread, so I'm off to pick that up tonight once it's painted (on the non-threaded bits):

IQic2eGt.jpg

k5QaFyQt.jpg

#126 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

The pictures are really small, is the threaded bar just welded to the tensioner bolt?

#127 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:19 PM

The pictures are really small, is the threaded bar just welded to the tensioner bolt?

Yup. Forgot to make them clickable, fixed.

#128 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

Klkl, Pretty low profile solution.

Wont winding it lock the bolt against the first threaded bar though rather than pull the other bar towards it?

#129 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:35 PM

Klkl, Pretty low profile solution.

Wont winding it lock the bolt against the first threaded bar though rather than pull the other bar towards it?

I think the one on the static pulley is drilled out to remove the thread to hold it in position but not actually screw in, to avoid that. Haven't seen it in person but he'll have tested it so I'm sure it'll be fine.

#130 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:36 PM

Ah yeh that'd work, sure it's fine.

Also as an update, im not sure my intercooler plan is guna work. I think for the turbo it routes behind the ARB and compressor, rather than up infront of it. I wont know for sure until it arrives as there are so many different versions of the kit. At the very least I can copy large parts of it using a universal kit.

#131 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:11 PM

How will you lock the pulleys when tensioned? Will you be able to access the rear nuts when on the car?

#132 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:41 PM

How will you lock the pulleys when tensioned? Will you be able to access the rear nuts when on the car?

Yeh you can, it's not to bad with a long extension.

#133 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

Yeah it's a bit of a pig to get at but you can, I managed to get a spanner up the back to hold it in place whilst tightening from the front. With the tensioner I'll have to tighten from the rear which might be more difficult...

#134 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2126 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

Yeh you can, it's not to bad with a long extension.

Yeah it's a bit of a pig to get at but you can, I managed to get a spanner up the back to hold it in place whilst tightening from the front. With the tensioner I'll have to tighten from the rear which might be more difficult...

put it with the studding @ rear so both nuts are @ front?

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#135 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:10 PM

That sounds logical, it’s always a fiddle tightening the tensioner mounting bolt on mine.

#136 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:10 PM

Sadly I dont think you can. There isnt enough space for the tensioner with the PS there and even if there was I'm pretty sure you couldnt get to the tension bolt to tighten it anyway. A half decent size extension and deep socket is fine. Remember that my tensioner is fixed at the front and so needs tightening from the back.

#137 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:44 AM

Bit more progress, started to get the IC fitted.

Bodged together some small corner brackets onto some box section to attach it to the AC condenser mounting plates:

QPOSrHEt.jpg

NsieRAut.jpg

Few quid of box section from B&Q, and a packet of brackets from Amazon. Not the prettiest thing but if you can't weld, it works I think... :)

You weren't wrong about 2.5" piping being a tight squeeze:

IAsCR0jt.jpg

QGwqHhtt.jpg

Vmlo01nt.jpg

6TD9Vbjt.jpg

Few clips missing because I was just test-fitting everything in place to figure out the route. It's pretty snug against the ARB on the hotside, not sure if that's going to move enough to cause an issue. Guess I could oval the pipe just a touch at that point to create a little clearance..?

Weirdly the coldside route is the more awkward path wise, top radiator hose properly gets in the way...

Of course, pretty much bloody impossible without removing the fan. Stock one dropped off (rusted bolt extractors are worth their weight in gold...), and a new slimmer Spal one on the way to centre mount to make space for pipes either side.

#138 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

• Members
  • 4815 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

Nice work. IC routing is currently the baine of my life. I can't work out for the life of me how to do it and clear everything properly. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a new top feed IC to over the rad, and have to make new rad mounts to drop it about- 4-5 inches. My radiator is thicker so there is no space to go between it and the ARB.

#139 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

Have you considered water injection?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users