93 Mk1 1.8 Cutting Out In Hot Weather On A Long Drive.. - Problems - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

93 Mk1 1.8 Cutting Out In Hot Weather On A Long Drive..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan1991

Dan1991

Made a start

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Ok so bit of an odd issue with my 93 Mk1 1.8..

It's high mileage, 260k Kms

When i first bought it, it had a habbit of bogging out sometimes, running rough and just generally poor.

Swapped the CAS to a known good one

New Coil pack

MAF to a known good one

Leads and plugs

Seemed to be fine for the past 4 months or so after that.

Other day 27 degrees, nice hot day, i took it for a long run, about an hour in it stuttered and came to a stop, turned over but wouldnt start. Few minutes later it starts and its fine, for maybe 30s down the road and same again, longer i left it longer i could drive it. Fairly sure its heat related.

Any ideas?

No codes thrown up, because i was over an hour from home i left it and got a lift home, went back and got it the next day and it made it home an hour with no issue, i left it running on the drive for a bit and didnt cut out.. not sure.

Its intermittent and only ever seems to do it when hot and its been running for a while, its not overheating and nothing out of the ordinary, no loss of power etc.

#2 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10337 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:53 PM

Could be something like a clogged fuel filter I suppose or, if it only begins after a longish run, it just might be a blocked breather in the fuel cap not letting air into the tank and gradually building up a vacuum.  Not very likely but I'm sure I've heard of it once before.  (Easy to diagnose though - if you loosen the fuel cap for a moment and it instantly fixes it...)

#3 Dan1991

Dan1991

Made a start

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

Ah should've said fuel filter was also replaced for new when i serviced it.

I will try fuel cap next time it does it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users