11 replies to this topic

#1 Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Miss me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4552 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

Can anyone recommend (or had experience of) a decent water/UV/weather proof motorcycle cover, to suit a KLR650 Supermoto....I've lost count of the amount of so-called 'quality' covers that I've been through over the years, all of which lost the ability to repel water within 6 months & have succumbed to UV, effectively disintegrating after 2 years.

I'm tempted to look at covers that are designed for garden furniture in the hope that they actually stand the test of time.

TIA...Vince

2014-09-07%2015.12.58.jpeg

#2 Mxmurray

Mxmurray

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

I used the Oxford covers on my bikes both inside and out and didn't have any issues.
That said they were mainly used whilst I was at work so only spend the odd days out in the elements.

#3 Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Miss me?

• Members
  • 4552 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

I used the Oxford covers on my bikes both inside and out and didn't have any issues.
That said they were mainly used whilst I was at work so only spend the odd days out in the elements.

My current cover is in fact an Oxford.....18 months from new & disintegrating  :(

#4 billy big skid

billy big skid

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

One of my bikes has to live outside due to space issues. I've yet to find a cover that lasts when in constant outdoor use, around 2 years seems to be the average lifespan.

Because of this i just buy cheap ones off ebay for a tenner, they last two years too.

#5 Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Miss me?

• Members
  • 4552 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

One of my bikes has to live outside due to space issues. I've yet to find a cover that lasts when in constant outdoor use, around 2 years seems to be the average lifespan.
Because of this i just buy cheap ones off ebay for a tenner, they last two years too.

I've been dreading that reply, but I've also been expecting it if I were to be honest......I'm going to give garden furniture covers a try, the larger 'swing chair' covers seem heavy duty & are no more expensive.

Vince.

#6 billy big skid

billy big skid

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

I've been dreading that reply, but I've also been expecting it if I were to be honest......I'm going to give garden furniture covers a try, the larger 'swing chair' covers seem heavy duty & are no more expensive.
Vince.

let me know how you get on. I've just hired a small industrial unit to repair the Eunos and Mini in so mine's indoors at the moment, but eventually it will be outside again.

#7 alhendo1

alhendo1

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

I used a soft canvas type green coloured cover for a few years when my bike used to live outside..it wasn't lined inside and got wet on the outside but never leaked inside the cover....fantastic. ...it repelled water like nothing else....there used to be a little water collected between the tank/seat area and underneath it was bone dry....anyway I'm rambling a bit...
Just checked in the garage and it was made by "protectorl"...other than that there's no markers on it....
Had a quick look on google but doesn't throw much up other than this link and the fact they seem to be hard to track down
https://www.google.c...iI5Pc4BnZO9JV-g
the suggestion is going to a sailmaker and getting them to make a bespoke cover....might be a bit more exspensive but if it's as good as the cover I've got it'd be worth it....
http://www.mx5nutz.c...howtopic=272554
My 1.6 S Special Import Build Thread.

#8 andy broke it

andy broke it

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

I have one of the moto gp ones and find that pretty good, havent had it for a year yet but seems well made, pretty thick and hasnt ripped or come off in any weather yet. Has the added bonus that you dont have to wait for the exhaust to cool before you put it on :)

https://www.amazon.c...=moto gp cover 

#9 Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Miss me?

• Members
  • 4552 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

Vince.

let me know how you get on. I've just hired a small industrial unit to repair the Eunos and Mini in so mine's indoors at the moment, but eventually it will be outside again.

I'll try to remember to report back in good time Billy.

I used a soft canvas type green coloured cover for a few years when my bike used to live outside..it wasn't lined inside and got wet on the outside but never leaked inside the cover....fantastic. ...it repelled water like nothing else....there used to be a little water collected between the tank/seat area and underneath it was bone dry....anyway I'm rambling a bit...
Just checked in the garage and it was made by "protectorl"...other than that there's no markers on it....
Had a quick look on google but doesn't throw much up other than this link and the fact they seem to be hard to track down
https://www.google.c...iI5Pc4BnZO9JV-g
the suggestion is going to a sailmaker and getting them to make a bespoke cover....might be a bit more exspensive but if it's as good as the cover I've got it'd be worth it....

That's actually a good call, Tarpaulin or Mohair/Canvas would be an ideal solution, sadly the cost of which would likely exceed what i paid for the bike.

I have one of the moto gp ones and find that pretty good, havent had it for a year yet but seems well made, pretty thick and hasnt ripped or come off in any weather yet. Has the added bonus that you dont have to wait for the exhaust to cool before you put it on :)

https://www.amazon.c...=moto gp cover 

I'd definitely invest £30 in this Andy, if i thought it would last more than a couple of seasons, but sadly nothing so far has.

This is what inevitably happens after approx 2 years outside use - note the bleaching:

Cover%20-%20UV%20spoilt.jpg

I managed to snag a second hand unwanted + unused cover (of similar ilk to all the others I've had) from eBay this week for a little over £6 delivered.

The issue I've found isn't so much their ability to repel moisture, rather their lack of resistance to UV, as all my prior covers have disintegrated at some point.....The simplest solution would be to park the bike out of sunlight, but this isn't possible for me, so I've also just also purchased a £10 'Garden Swing' cover, to be used as an outer skin that will hopefully go some way in protecting the Motorcycle cover:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I know this is going to be quite a faff, but the bike is more of a summer weekend toy & is rarely used......of course there's every likelihood that this may become a pain in the arse, I'll just have to see how it plays out.

Either way, thanks for all the input & suggestions guys, they're all very much appreciated.

Vince.

#10 Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Miss me?

• Members
  • 4552 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

Vince.

2 years on & the garden furniture cover is going strong....a definite win 

#11 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2126 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

Our Triumph Daytona lives in the house :whistle:

Mrs. wants an MV f4rc, obviously that would also live in the house :yes:

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#12 TheDuke.Williams

TheDuke.Williams

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

Last year I bought a bike tent for my F700GS, thinking it would be superior in all aspects to normal covers. 9 months on and it's looking quite sad, the surface looks quite dull, and it has moss growing on it. Upon removong my bike, I find that there's quite a bit of condensation that drips onto the bike so I'm dissapointed to say the least.

Previously I've tended to buy a new bike cover (cheapest I can find) and put that over the old cover that's over my bike, so that I always have 2 covers over the bike. I've found this to be quite effectiveat keeping my bike dry, and works out that I spend maybe £30 a year on a new cover, rather than the £180 I spent on the bike tent, that seems destined for the bin after less than 12 months.

DSC-0006.jpg

Lets hope for some sunny days this year.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users