-1 reply to this topic

#1 no1birdman

no1birdman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi, anyone use sunbeds,going again this week. Last year got fantastic tan in 1month going 3 times a week for 6 mins a time.Never been before that , i know some do not like them but if carefull they work well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^ Everything above this line is a work of fiction ^^^

#2 Gina

Gina

slightly obsessed with my car...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

just watched a program on Channel4, it suggested only going on a sunbed 10 times a year at a MAX...other wise the likelyhood of getting cancer is massive...

ekk no thankyou!

im good with my pale skin#!!!

I own.. Daisy the Neo Green V-Spec Eunos Roadster, shes been lowered, she has a new exhaust, new paint job, new hood, all holes have been filled in - she is as smooth as a babies bum!!!

Posted Image
Making car mascots still, if you want one PM ME!

#3 ......

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6219 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Ill take pale anyday thanks!

Cancer risk is not cool,
Neither is money on vanity.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 no1birdman

no1birdman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi, i would think i only went about 10/12 times but got a good tan, usually i lie in the sun like most and that adds up to a lot of sun bathing.I find it is good if you are sensible and with my shaved head it does not look like I am ill. Tried fake tans, spray ones but tend to go orange.The doctor told me to stop going, give up drinking, stop smoking and going with other women, He said I would live twice as long.I said it would just seem twice as long.

#5 Gina

Gina

slightly obsessed with my car...

• Members
  • 3287 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi, i would think i only went about 10/12 times but got a good tan, usually i lie in the sun like most and that adds up to a lot of sun bathing.I find it is good if you are sensible and with my shaved head it does not look like I am ill. Tried fake tans, spray ones but tend to go orange.The doctor told me to stop going, give up drinking, stop smoking and going with other women, He said I would live twice as long.I said it would just seem twice as long.

everyones different :)
sunbeds normally are 3-6 times stronger than midday sun... hence the only go 10 times a year MAX.

eeek couldnt do it. im pale, yellow in the summer (due to not being 100 english), and seethrough in the winter! i think id prefer that to dieing of cancer any day! lol :D

saying that im not your average type of girl.. lol

I own.. Daisy the Neo Green V-Spec Eunos Roadster, shes been lowered, she has a new exhaust, new paint job, new hood, all holes have been filled in - she is as smooth as a babies bum!!!

Posted Image
Making car mascots still, if you want one PM ME!

#6 Don

Don

Early Man

• Members
  • 3324 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

When it comes to healthy living and longevity there is only one Dr's advice worth following.

Dr Michael Roizen

#7 CRNeo

CRNeo

Sideways is t'only way!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

When it comes to healthy living and longevity there is only one Dr's advice worth following.

Dr Michael Roizen

Posted ImagePosted Image
1994 ( K ) 1.8 S-Spec in Brilliant Black "The w1p" - current hack and project.
1993 ( K ) 1.6 White Import "The BOM" - SOLD gone but not forgotten.
1992 ( J ) 1.6 V-Spec in Brilliant Black - SOLD, gone but not forgotten.
1997 ( R ) 1.8 POV Spec UK in BRG - SOLD, but to a close friend so still see her.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 no1birdman

no1birdman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi, thats a good link, I have 3 ladies on the go at thte moment to should live forever. Thats what the tan does for you LOL.

#9 missf1

missf1

Made a start

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I've never been on a sun bed, but have heard of it's pros and cons. As long as you use them wisely and dont become tanorexic.
Here are some pros : Tanned skin protects you against sunburn, thought to be the main cause of melanoma. If you avoid getting sunburned, the benefits of moderate sun exposure will far outweigh the possible dangers.

Sunbeds can be a good source of vitamin D in winter in Britain, Sunlight is the most effective way for the body to manufacture Vitamin D. Yet in the UK, our bodies can only manufacture Vitamin D from exposure to the sun during the months of May to October. Outside of these months, the sun is simply not strong enough.

MYTH: THE ELDERLY DON'T NEED AS MUCH UV EXPOSURE AS THE YOUNG
TRUTH: Your ability to manufacture vitamin D diminishes fourfold from age twenty to age seventy. Older people are especially receptive to the alarmist warnings about excessive sun exposure and often decrease their exposure at a time when they need it most. Since vitamin D is directly linked to bone health, this age group should be more concerned about fracturing a hip because they are vitamin D deficient, than the risk of getting wrinkles or skin cancer.

#10 C.A.R.

C.A.R.

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

I don't rely on a sunbed for my god-like looks come the summer.

Always thought of it as a bit vane? :whistle:

Posted Image

#11 Princess Alison

Princess Alison

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

sunbeds are bad news, damage your skin very severly... can end up with the brown spots people call "age" spots, which are actually from overproductive melanin in certain patches on the skin from over exposure to sun...that whys u see old ladies with them on their hands and chest ect...always in the sun

Onv sunbeds can produce these at a much earlier age, damage allover the body rather than just hand and chest...can also damage the retina of the eye if u dont wear proper eye protection.

I used to go on them until i realised how dry and awful my skin was,

dont look nice tbh, get a tan when i go on holiday once a year and thats it, and i always wear sun cream

OH and i bet you dont wear factor 25 when ur on the sunbed lol

#12 miles

miles

Given up

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22533 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Dove tinted moisturiser ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
90 lil' Red Roadster M45, Konis, JR, RS*R, Watanabe,Torsen, Leather, ILM LoPros...............
98 RS Black Mazdaspeed shocks/springs, Autoexe CAI, RB Duals, gold wheels and Victory Lane air freshener ....
99 Sport red £700 of pure awesomeness.

#13 AaronR

AaronR

Mechanically Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2141 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Posted Image

What. The fuck. Are THEY?! :yuk:

Had: Mk2.5 1.8 Arctic
Have: Mk3 2L.

#14 JQ.

JQ.

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1455 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

Slightly connected to this story - I'm very fair skinned and have never liked the idea of sunbeds. So about 10 years ago I decided I'd have a professional spray tan before going to Egypt for a couple of weeks, so I wouldn't look like a ghost for a week (I'll wear factor 50 when in the sun ! !) It looked really good.

Get up on my first day, stroll to the pool, read a book for a couple of hours then decide to go for a swim. Dive in the pool and then there's a trail of brown behind me as the fake tan disappears. Apparently fake tan and Chlorine don't mix. I was brown in Egypt for a total of 2 hours and spent the rest of the holiday as white as a sheet.

#15 Delbert

Delbert

erk alors el blast from th' past dude

• Members
  • 4474 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

What. The fuck. Are THEY?! :yuk:

That trust me is nothing at all you should see the redskins in Magalluf
- off the plane -on the beach- into hospital
Posted Image
OK thats a fake advert but trust me they are swarming in summer and the photo I wanted to put on would have been removed :blush:

I am Dyslexic of Borg, your arse will be delaminated.
       funnyanimatedgifstravelinsurance.gif

#16 Gixer

Gixer

9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.

• Members
  • 20813 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Move to Greece, got sunburn in Feb here :(
1994 V-Spec II, Auto, MP62 Hotside SC (6rib) 65/125 (10psi), Dual TB, 430cc RX8 Injectors, Zeitronix WB, EGT, MAP etc, XS KnockLite, Water Injection (Devils Own Pump, Aquamist HSV Go-kart tank 8.5L), Aquamist DDS3 V8, Custom IC and pipes, Hard Dog M2 Sport DD, FFS Dual Feed Fuel Rail, Torsen TypeII, Tein Flex, Axxis Ultimate pads, Rota RB 15x8, Toyo T1-R.

Posted Image My car blog

#17 guitarjon

guitarjon

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10170 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

Gix, whats it like living in a sunny place? As in tan wise. I know the locals get accustomed to it and they generally have darker skin for this reason as protection. Is it just a matter of keeping out of direct sunlight? Will you over time just become darker skinned and able to tollerate it more?

I guess when you live somewhere sunny you don't go sun bathing but still, working on cars/doing the gardening etc all times when you could be out in the sun or is it just a matter of doing everything in the shade?

Sorry this post doesn't sound very clear.

#18 Ecosse

Ecosse

Ecosse

• Members
  • 3836 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

Think of a "tan" as skin damage and to whatever degree you want to brown up, even more damage as you go along. Which is why, in Oz for example, when I flew out in a September following a particularily good UK summer,I was the darkest person around. In every primary school this slogan abounds:
[i]Slip, Slop, Slap!
It sounds like a breeze when you say it like that
Slip, Slop, Slap!
In the sun we always say "Slip Slop Slap!"
Slip, Slop, Slap!
Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat,
Slip, Slop, Slap!
You can stop skin cancer - say: "Slip, Slop, Slap!"

After a few chats with "them in the know" I've never let myself get so tanned since, even taking to wearing a hat with the top down despite a thick head of hair...and I hate hats.
Skin cancers can develop many years after the trigger damage. The husband of a girl at SWMBO's school died from skin cancer a few years ago.It was attributed to his pastime of scuba diving in the Med a couple of times a year when the sun (she said) concentrated in a sort of prismatic way onto his skin while he was in the water! He was fine for years, and dead in one.

Why is everything we enjoy best the worst for us?

There are lots of ways people can enhance their attractiveness to the "oppo" so personally I don't see how the risk of killing yourself is worth it.

Beware the imbecile you did not bargain for. Perhaps in a Zafira  at Tesco waiting to self combust.

#19 Daddy Cool

Daddy Cool

Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13838 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

Using sunbeds is basically pretty tragic :yes:

1999 Mk2 1.8SE

#20 Gixer

Gixer

9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.

• Members
  • 20813 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

Gix, whats it like living in a sunny place? As in tan wise. I know the locals get accustomed to it and they generally have darker skin for this reason as protection. Is it just a matter of keeping out of direct sunlight? Will you over time just become darker skinned and able to tollerate it more?

I guess when you live somewhere sunny you don't go sun bathing but still, working on cars/doing the gardening etc all times when you could be out in the sun or is it just a matter of doing everything in the shade?

Sorry this post doesn't sound very clear.

12 years here and i still seem to get caught out a few times a year with sun burn.

In summer i'm fine as i know it's gonna be hot, dry and sunny for 4 months, so it's shorts, teeshirt, sandals, sunglasses and a big hat.

I've never sunbathed in me life, so no idea how that works.
On the beach i usually slap on 50 sun cream and a hat and sit under me shade chair thing.

What catches me out is the rest of the year.
I went walking and shooting t'other week and it was a bloody freezing (around 13c), when walking ya needed a jumper on, but when stopped you really needed a coat and a jumper.

So knowing it was this cold i didn't take a hat or sun cream.
I got sun burn on me receding forehead and looked like a fooooooooookin panda from me sunglasses :wallbash:

So in 12 years i'm not really any darker skin colour wise,and i don't seem to have a higher tolerance for the sun either.
Much to the amusement of the Gypo skin tned Greeks :whistle:

:lol:

Come Sept though and even without sunbathing i still get a bit of a tan, only them am i a bit more immune to sunburn.
1994 V-Spec II, Auto, MP62 Hotside SC (6rib) 65/125 (10psi), Dual TB, 430cc RX8 Injectors, Zeitronix WB, EGT, MAP etc, XS KnockLite, Water Injection (Devils Own Pump, Aquamist HSV Go-kart tank 8.5L), Aquamist DDS3 V8, Custom IC and pipes, Hard Dog M2 Sport DD, FFS Dual Feed Fuel Rail, Torsen TypeII, Tein Flex, Axxis Ultimate pads, Rota RB 15x8, Toyo T1-R.

Posted Image My car blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gold, wtf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users