17 replies to this topic

#1 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Have my engine and gearbox out....for some reason i cannot locate the gearbox back onto the engine no matter how much i try? Its almost there but not quite 😬
Any ideas would b really appreciated.
1997 1.8.

#2 pcaligari68

pcaligari68

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

Are you using a clutch alignment tool? Essential for getting everything to slot back together.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#3 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

Hi
Thanks for coming back to me. Yeah using the alighnment tool. Fitted in a new clutch kit (Exedy). Cant see any reason why it wont go in last bit. Wondering if im having trouble with lining final bit into the spigot bearing (replaced with new)? But alighnment tool all seems to have lined it up ok? I feel stumped

#4 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:12 PM

Put the gearbox in gear and push the prop shaft back in, turn the prop shaft to help the gearbox input shaft splines engage... hopefully that will do it.

#5 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Dadbif will give that a go

#6 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Dadbif will give that a go

#7 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

Have tried all the above appreciated advice but no luck.....just seem to be unable to get the very last bit located......wiggled like mad.....prop in in gear turning prop.....still no luck. I really want to put engine and box all back in one go.......any one else experienced this issue and have overcome it?

#8 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

Is the spigot bearing the correct size?

#9 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:14 PM

Is the spigot bearing the correct size?

or...

are the cylinderblock dowels damaged / out of round?

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#10 pcaligari68

pcaligari68

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:46 AM

Have tried all the above appreciated advice but no luck.....just seem to be unable to get the very last bit located......wiggled like mad.....prop in in gear turning prop.....still no luck. I really want to put engine and box all back in one go.......any one else experienced this issue and have overcome it?

Do you have an assistant? I've never manged this on any vehicle alone. That could just be my tiny arms of course... but turning the prop, pushing, wiggling and supporting the box is not easy alone - and that last bit is extra tough as you are also lining up those dowels... so the wiggling has to stop to engage them... and if they are damaged it won't go on.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#11 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for comebacks and advice....engine has just been fully re built so I hope dowels arent out of round.
Spigit bearing definatly the correct one well it was sent as part of the kit the exedy kit for 1.8.
I have been trying one me own but yeah thats been hard work! Meant to have had some help me and my son gonna have a go next weekend.
What a fecker!!!!! Gotta b me im doing something or havent seen something thats just not quite right.....or its just being a t#$t.

#12 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:13 PM

I’m sure you’ve done this, but make sure the gap between the bel housing and crankcase is even all round, if it isn’t you’ve got the gearbox on the piss.
Take the time to line it up, use a trolley jack or similar.
Good luck!

#13 MR Wallace

MR Wallace

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

If you've still not got it, pull the clutch back off and make sure the friction plate actually fits on the output shaft off the car (lightly grease the shaft too), if it does, refit the clutch and make sure it is aligned with the tool again.

They are a pain but if nothing is in between the box and block (ie clutch line!) it should go, have the bolts ready to help pull it on as soon as you get the output shaft in the clutch.

#14 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:10 AM

If you've still not got it, pull the clutch back off and make sure the friction plate actually fits on the output shaft off the car (lightly grease the shaft too), if it does, refit the clutch and make sure it is aligned with the tool again.

They are a pain but if nothing is in between the box and block (ie clutch line!) it should go

+1 :thumb-up: 

have the bolts ready to help pull it on as soon as you get the output shaft in the clutch.

if you're trying to get the Output shft in the clutch then the gearbox is the wrong way around :blink: 

also, the input shaft spline can get damaged as can the clutch disc's splines be either damaged or badly formed in manufacture (seen this with AP Racing so anything is possible :rolleyes: )

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#15 MR Wallace

MR Wallace

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

They are a pain but if nothing is in between the box and block (ie clutch line!) it should go

+1 :thumb-up: 

have the bolts ready to help pull it on as soon as you get the output shaft in the clutch.

if you're trying to get the Output shft in the clutch then the gearbox is the wrong way around :blink: 

also, the input shaft spline can get damaged as can the clutch disc's splines be either damaged or badly formed in manufacture (seen this with AP Racing so anything is possible :rolleyes: )

Rich.

Good point, that would definitely be the wrong hole! <_<  -_-

#16 indykid

indykid

Advanced Pedant

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10052 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:56 AM

Is the clutch plate the right way round?

#17 Nappa

Nappa

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

Cheers guys for all the tips.....havent had a chance to look at it this weekend....will have a go at all above.....will let u know outcome once had a go........hopefully will get the right hole as well 👽♠️😜

#18 Dickie

Dickie

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

When I did my clutch job I had to jack the front of the engine up to tip the back end down to align the gearbox, I did it myself lying under the gearbox and lifting it up with my legs.  I had the car up quite high on axle stands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users