6 replies to this topic

#1 brants

brants

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hello all

Today is my first day of MX-5 ownership :D I've bought a really clean, 2006 2.0 Sport and it's a definite grin generator!

The only problem is the Bose stereo is displaying the flashing "Err" message. Of course, i've googled the issue and have come across the steps required to enter an 'override' code:

Step 1: Press the following sequence; Preset 6, AM, Auto M, Seek ^ (up)

Step 2: Four dashes appear, at this stage enter one of the following codes; 4989, 1414, 1515, 3511, 5989, 3211, 2312, 0532, 5011, 0000

Step 3: Press & hold Auto M and Preset 6 simultaneously, until the "GOOD" message appears.

For me, step 1 is fine and i've tried each of the codes several times (both with the car running and with just the ignition on) with no success. Instead of the "GOOD" message, the screen returns to the infuriating flashing Err message..

If anyone is able to shed some light on the problem, ideas/suggestions/tips would be massively appreciated

Cheers!

#2 brants

brants

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Okay so after more research, I saw a post mentioning that if you hold the Power/volume button and the FM 1/2 button simultaneously, the Err will disappear.. and it worked.

I'm now facing an issue whereby the headunit it displaying some very unusual behaviour. Even when turned off, the radio continues. Also, the volume can be increased, but if set to 0, it still plays quite audibly and so there is no way to stop it!

Very very strange..

#3 Lucifer

Lucifer

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

Sounds a bit strange, worth a check on Miata.net if you're still stuck for an answer, sensible forum software, good categorisation and a search engine that works help there.

#4 brants

brants

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

I'll check it out - thanks for the tip Lucifer.

This evening, I took it out for a spin and the problem appears to have changed again.. it's now displaying the clock on the display when I start the car, but when the power button is pressed, the screen is entirely blank and zero audio. I'm very much hoping that this is something that can be fixed!..

#5 cliveju

cliveju

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

The fix is probably going to be a replacement Bose unit because this fault is within the unit's electronic circuits. A replacement shouldn't be too hard to find as people do replace them with more modern units.
Did you know it wasn't working when you bought the car?

#6 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3325 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

If you got it from a dealer then get them to fix it, or if private sale has the last owner got a code. I've read that dealers (Mazda) code the radios from new some don't bother and leave them without a code, mine was uncoded so if removed or a battery disconnected it can be operated straight off again. Your car may have had the battery disconnected at some point before you bought it.

If it's a faulty head unit then you might want to give an aftermarket HU a go, I fitted this below, has Bluetooth for handsfree phone and your music also a USB slot

IMG_20141205_185329102_zpsd518391f.jpg

35547829532_68c83b3eb5_n.jpg

Mk3 True Red Sport.  RS 6 speed in Racing Bronze (now sold)

#7 brants

brants

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys,

After managing to get passed the Err screen, the HU has been acting very erratically. Sometimes there's no life in it whatsoever, other times it will allow me to turn on the radio but with no volume control (which is very frustrating as I need to switch the car off to stop it!).

I'm pretty sure that as cliveju says, there's an internal fault with the HU. Rather than replacing with an OEM HU, i'll definitely look to acquire an upgraded HU with bluetooth etc.. Might have to wait a while as my budget is nuked from buying the car!

As a last resort, i'm going to try disconnecting the battery for a while and seeing if that a total reset for the HU fixes the problem (i'm not very hopefull, but I figure it's worth a try before 100% writing the HU off)

Thanks for the comments, it's really appreciated!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bose, err, stereo, radio, cd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users