Is It Worth The Cost To Fix The Rust? - Page 2 - The MX-5/Roadster: FAQ's - MX5Nutz Forum - Page 2

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Is It Worth The Cost To Fix The Rust?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 landmannnn

landmannnn

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

My recent mk1 purchase has the rear sill and a bit of arch rust too. But im going to start practicing to weld over the next few weeks and then tackle it myself over a few spare weekends. Then may take it to a body shop to paint.

Any beginners on here tried to weld before? If so were the results acceptable?

By the way, love the roll bar. Exact one i want (apart from the colour)

It will be very difficult for a beginner.

If you think that the inner and out sills come to about £200, we are talking around £300 of labour (4 to 5 hours per side) of a skilled person who has done it many times before.

He will know exactly how much to cut off and where he can weld. Don't get me wrong, you will probably be able to do it, but factor in three times the time and ten times the frustration.

#22 ConRod

ConRod

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

My recent mk1 purchase has the rear sill and a bit of arch rust too. But im going to start practicing to weld over the next few weeks and then tackle it myself over a few spare weekends. Then may take it to a body shop to paint.

Any beginners on here tried to weld before? If so were the results acceptable?

By the way, love the roll bar. Exact one i want (apart from the colour)

I did a welding course and then did the outer sills on both sides of my mk2. I bought some patch panels pre shaped to fit (cost £70) which only required a small amount of fettling. 

With the help of a friend (he had the same level of welding experience as me i.e sweet FA) we got both sides welded, ground smooth, filled and ready for paint in a weekend. It's definitely do-able, and I probably saved myself around £300 as I did the course through work and borrowed a welder, so it's well worth looking into. 

However it would be a different story if your inner sills were shot as well...luckily mine were ok.

#23 Mob17

Mob17

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

I think i’ll give it a go. The thing is i can have the car sitting in my garage for months as its not my main car. Will definitely practise and take it slow. I don’t really mind if its not perfect, as its more a project/track car than daily, and the main aim is to prevent terminal rust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users