Front Subframe Spacers, What Affect Would They Have? - How do I... - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Front Subframe Spacers, What Affect Would They Have?

suspension geometry steering goemetry subframes engine swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nix.

Nix.

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

So long story short I'm mid engine swap at present and to get the engine to sit where I want it I need to drop it about 15-20mm relative to the engine bay. Unfortunately that would mean the oil pan would sit right where the steering rack wants to live.

The way I see it my options are move the steering rack down and forward slightly (probably 10mm forward and about 10-15mm down) but I know that will piss with the steering geometry and seeing as how my car is already lowered quite a lot and suffers from a fair amount of bump steer and whatever else I don't really want to screw with it further if I can avoid it.

The second option is to space the entire front subframe down by 15mm. However posts on some forums about this subject suggest that this would screw with the suspension geometry but I cant see how it would. The front Subframe on the MX5 has the mounts for Steering rack, LCA and UCA so they would all move relative to each other, the only thing that changes is the distance between the top and bottom suspension strut mounts and as I'm on coilovers I can compensate for that by adjusting the height.

So any thoughts on which route is better and why and also why some people seem to think that spacing the subframe down would affect suspension geometry?

Thanks.

Nix

#2 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2126 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:23 PM

Bumpsteer either way  :popcorn: 

remember, the suspension arms move in an arc, so does the steering-racks trackrod so moving the rack anywhere is not great....

lifting the body from the subframe assembly could only work if you're increasing the ridehight otherwise increased bumpsteer due to suspension angles...

honda swap?

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#3 Nix.

Nix.

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Rich, that makes sense, I'd over looked the fact that dropping the subframe but adjusting the the ride height to compensate would mean that the arms are at an even worse angle than they are currently.

I think I'll try spacing it for now anyway and see how that goes as I don't really want to move the rack, and my car is low but not slammed (still got like 15-20mm wheel gap at present). I may be able to get away with a 10mm spacer and then drop the engine another few mm before it gets too close to the rack.

Not quite, its something a little bigger with a couple more cylinders  :D. Ill update my project thread about it once I've got the engine and box in and the turbo fitted

Thanks,

Nix

#4 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2126 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

Not quite, its something a little bigger with a couple more cylinders  :D. Ill update my project thread about it once I've got the engine and box in and the turbo fitted

external oilpumps can allow shallower sumps & lower engines......

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, goin drysump, EPS, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#5 deviator

deviator

Learning the 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:51 PM

I was going to suggest modifying the sump. Or if the budget allows, dry sump. Also look at other fitments of the engine you are using. Sometimes you'll find a transverse fitment engine has a more useful sump than the inline sump.

#6 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4815 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

Can't you also then space the tie rods to correct?

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, adapted NA short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace, 3.9 type 2 torsen, 80A diff bushes, front tow hook, rear tow hook

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters, solid shifter bushes

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#7 Nix.

Nix.

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

Yeah unfortunately because the engine leans over at 30 degrees, a dry sump wouldn’t help as the oil pan is flat to the subframe but only sits about 15mm below the block on one side. I ended up spacing the subframe down 10mm (or 3/8 of an inch if your so inclined) and then dropped the rack by 5mm. Hopefully I can space the other tie rods down by the appropriate amount to compensate as Shadowraven suggested.

The engine is a BMW M52TUB25 so no options for other oil pans as it only came in one configuration

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension geometry, steering goemetry, subframes, engine swap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users