15 replies to this topic

#1 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:19 PM

Hello, here is my ride. I bought it at the end of last year and now has about 78k on it, runs great and is a pleasure to drive. So far I have only done a few things to it, weighted shifter and gear lever re-build which have made such a positive difference to the gear change.

There is rust and that will be addressed later in the year. The next things I will be doing is a new back box as it has a slight leak and a cam belt and water pump kit is also required as I can’t find any evidence of it ever being done.

Front and rear mud flaps have been removed as they were dragging on speed bumps. The number plates were shot so they were replaced.

After the rust and cam belt is sorted I will stick a tr lane roll bar in it and then find some nice wheels and tyres for it. I assume 15” alloys will fit ok? I fancy an inch smaller wheels and slightly more sidewall as the roads around here are pretty dire.

Can’t wait do do a few road trips in it as soon as lockdown is over, it’s only getting used to go shops once or twice a week at the minute. This car makes my commute so much fun, hoping to take it abroad at some point when it’s all done.

#2 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:49 PM

97-F18-D6-D-90-F4-4991-ACCA-74-C501-D331

E449-BEDB-A501-44-FE-A61-F-1-A7-F5460-C5

#3 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:22 PM

Welcome,  15" is the sweet spot for MX5's 14's handle great and make the car feel more compliant but less grip and tyre choice is scarce these days. 15's are plentiful and even the quality tyre makes are still cheap in this size as it's shared with mass market focus, Golf etc. 16's were put on for later mk2 cars to look good (in my opinion)  Wheel weight is critical, lighter the better and it can transform the ride due to the physics of unsprung weight. Keeping the weight under 15lbs is the accepted wisdom!

Your 16's are about 16-17lb and 16" tyres are even heavier than 15 which compounds the problem, a good set of aftermarket wheels are around 13lb (Team Dynamics 1.2 etc) and a really good set are around 10lb !

I like the import plate on the front of the car, always wondered what my mk1 would look like with on on the front

mk1 1991 Eunos with RS NB drivetrain: https://www.mx5nutz....howtopic=322586

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#4 toge

toge

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

Hello and welcome fellow SVT owner! What shift knob did you go for? Rebuilding mine made a good difference too !

#5 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

Welcome,  15" is the sweet spot for MX5's 14's handle great and make the car feel more compliant but less grip and tyre choice is scarce these days. 15's are plentiful and even the quality tyre makes are still cheap in this size as it's shared with mass market focus, Golf etc. 16's were put on for later mk2 cars to look good (in my opinion)  Wheel weight is critical, lighter the better and it can transform the ride due to the physics of unsprung weight. Keeping the weight under 15lbs is the accepted wisdom!

Your 16's are about 16-17lb and 16" tyres are even heavier than 15 which compounds the problem, a good set of aftermarket wheels are around 13lb (Team Dynamics 1.2 etc) and a really good set are around 10lb !

I like the import plate on the front of the car, always wondered what my mk1 would look like with on on the front

Thanks for the info, very useful. Do you know what the limits of what offset I can use without fouling the brakes or what are the most common offset is? Thanks again.

#6 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:38 PM

Hello and welcome fellow SVT owner! What shift knob did you go for? Rebuilding mine made a good difference too !

I went for an eBay special (will take a picture tomorrow) which is fine but have seen a lovely skunk2 gearknob so may change it again.

When I bough the car there was the rancid gas smell and transmission noise coming from the gaiters so it had to be sorted, getting it done cancelled both of those things out and took the woolyness out of the gearchange. Like you say it makes a hell of a difference and something that makes every journey better.

I’m looking for a nice steering wheel too, I like the feel of the nardi (standard) that’s on it but it’s so boring to look at.

#7 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

On a 6 or 7" wheel any offset between 30 and about 45 should be fine any lower than that with wider wheels and you risk rubbing on the arches if you lower the car. Saying that there are plenty of people running 8" wheels on mildly lowered cars out there so it's not an exact science!

If you have the sport brakes then you will need to check with the seller if the 15's fit without interference, from research I know my Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 will fit:

49799827417_dd64d672af_b.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#8 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

On a 6 or 7" wheel any offset between 30 and about 45 should be fine any lower than that with wider wheels and you risk rubbing on the arches if you lower the car. Saying that there are plenty of people running 8" wheels on mildly lowered cars out there so it's not an exact science!

If you have the sport brakes then you will need to check with the seller if the 15's fit without interference, from research I know my Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 will fit:

49799827417_dd64d672af_b.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I am hankering after a set of 15” slipstreams, grid v, rpf1 in bronze. 7” wide is fine as I would like the car to feel loose rather than mega planted. 

Cheers for sharing the knowledge  B)

#9 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 01:26 PM

24-D5-F57-C-93-B1-4101-939-B-3461-ABE24-

01-E27089-D571-4949-897-A-7-EF6-BF85453-

#10 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

Hello, Does anyone know if these will fit over the big brakes of s-vt?

5-EC6862-A-2-DAA-45-BE-8-D3-C-5-D00-E7-E

Thanks in advance.

#11 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

https://forum.miata....ad.php?t=377751  According to this thread yes they do, but you may have a problem with the calipers fouling stick-on wheel weights. I can't see why this can't be overcome by just marking the wheels before you take them to the tyre fitters where the calipers are closest and asking them not to put weights there.  A tyre fitter should be able to compensate by adjusting the position & weight.

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#12 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

https://forum.miata....ad.php?t=377751  According to this thread yes they do, but you may have a problem with the calipers fouling stick-on wheel weights. I can't see why this can't be overcome by just marking the wheels before you take them to the tyre fitters where the calipers are closest and asking them not to put weights there.  A tyre fitter should be able to compensate by adjusting the position & weight.

Cheers mate, saw a set for sale local and very cheap. Will have a think.

#13 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

Woke up feeling productive and started having a clear out and tidy up of my paint cupboard. Found a few cans of black smoothrite, tin of silver smoothrite, tin of red smoothrite and a random pot of airfix clear amber. Was then faced with boredom and the need to paint something. 

Instead of cracking out a fresh canvas I set about the car.

Removed and painted the rear badges gloss black.

Painted fogs yellow.

T-cut milkyness from the headlights.

Painted black grille silver.

Painted tie downs red.

Painted scabby bubbling silver alloys gloss black, will do for now until I get new wheels.

Painted scabby cills and rust on rear quarter to prolong the death until I can get it in for welding.

Apart from the rear badges everything needs a few more coats and then I need go over to paintwork and touch in the million scratches and stone chips.

Remaining to do list

Mx5parts stainless backbox

Camebelt, pulley and water pump kit

Start to eradicate rust

TR Lane roll bar

15” wheels

Nice steering wheel

37-E7780-B-7-EEB-4-D38-B16-F-F8-F57-BF44

#14 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:23 PM

Done nothing to the car recently due to lack of cash, have been enjoying it though. Went out for an 8am coastal drive and around the local twisties and took a few pictures, shame I forgot to clean it first!

New back box and some different wheels are very much needed.

380346-E0-BDF6-4-B91-8209-AAF77790-E3-CE

DB4-C1318-9-FFE-4-E19-A45-E-9121-BB8835-
366-EF21-D-FD24-48-F7-9866-A4-AEBB381887

#15 toge

toge

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:35 PM

Can't tell you forgot to clean it if all of the pictures have a sepia look to them haha! I'm in a similar boat except I just keep putting off buying the coilovers and wheels for no real reason, kinda wanting a mk1 now and unsure of piling money into this one!

#16 Revswell

Revswell

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

Can't tell you forgot to clean it if all of the pictures have a sepia look to them haha! I'm in a similar boat except I just keep putting off buying the coilovers and wheels for no real reason, kinda wanting a mk1 now and unsure of piling money into this one!

Yeah it’s tricky, do I spend cash sorting this or just get another. I know for a fact it will fail on the exhaust and cill rust in November at mot time. I estimate about a 1k bill for the work and for it to have an mot. Then after that a cam belt kit fitted, probably another £200. I love the car though, it is great, goes and handles really well. I feel the need to save it and keep it going really, can’t imagine not having it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users