24 replies to this topic

#1 tdk

tdk

MotorPunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Well, since selling my old GTV V6 to Mike (hello mate, if you're reading - how's the car?) of this forum, I fancied something else. I have a new(ish) BMW wagon for work, my tatty old MK1 MX-5, get the odd press car for fun and, despite that, thought "I have just enough space in the garage for something else".

It was made the same year as me, is rear engined, and is rather silly. The seller said that driving it as speed is (and I apologise for the fruity language); "f*cking terrifying". There's a hole in the roof, it smells of petrol, the ride is utterly rock hard. Rather like when I bought the Alfa I was sold before I even sat in it. Deposit paid, but I'm not sure I can get it back from London to the Midlands without killing myself to death. 

Any guesses? :)

#2 robygodzilla

robygodzilla

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Another fiat? An old 500 perhaps.

#3 corders

corders

Yarr I be the Cap'n

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7391 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

#4 ruggiebloke

ruggiebloke

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hillman Imp or Skoda Estelle?

Chilli Orange Icon / Scottish Fiver
Posted Image

#5 Low Ender

Low Ender

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Skoda Rapid coupe with swing axles?

#6 stewie

stewie

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

Vw Trike

#7 colin565

colin565

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

On a side note, what put me right off the MX5 MK4 initially was the colour coded metal doors inside the cabin (due to style), ie, 3/4 height door cards, as it reminded me of my first car over 40 years ago and it was a hillman imp with interior colour coded metal doors (due to cheapness), YUK!.

Now its ok on a dark cars, as the interior metal colour is dark, but on a red car it stands out. Anyway, everything was sorted as I bought the base trim MK4 SE model that is the only model that comes with, (wait for it), full sized black door cards, and no red metal showing ...Yeh, looks far smarter, so I bought it  :yes:

Its always interesting to figure out why drivers hate certain things in cars, and coloured metal inside the cabin is my hate, as it looks cheap.  

#8 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

So what did you buy?

#9 Rubberduck

Rubberduck

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

On a side note, what put me right off the MX5 MK4 initially was the colour coded metal doors inside the cabin (due to style), ie, 3/4 height door cards, as it reminded me of my first car over 40 years ago and it was a hillman imp with interior colour coded metal doors (due to cheapness), YUK!.

Now its ok on a dark cars, as the interior metal colour is dark, but on a red car it stands out. Anyway, everything was sorted as I bought the base trim MK4 SE model that is the only model that comes with, (wait for it), full sized black door cards, and no red metal showing ...Yeh, looks far smarter, so I bought it  :yes:

Its always interesting to figure out why drivers hate certain things in cars, and coloured metal inside the cabin is my hate, as it looks cheap.

I with you on this, although the thing that would put me off is the handbrake being on the wrong side.

#10 craighayling

craighayling

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

so that would be something built in about 1948 then? So a Rover P3 convertible it is! Hope it's not some horrendous bit of British Leyland rust! Although I do like a bit of BL rust i have to admit! My old MG's and Triumphs were full of it. I think it was std kit.....along with engines that overheated and electrics that never worked! Youngsters don't know their born these days!

Daily driver: BMW 520GT (very comfortable but very boring) - Hot sunny day driver: 1991 BRG Vspec, which is not comfortable compared to the GT but so much blummin fun! Needs more poooooweeerrrr.......

#11 miles

miles

Given up

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22534 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Sinclair C5
Posted ImagePosted Image
90 lil' Red Roadster M45, Konis, JR, RS*R, Watanabe,Torsen, Leather, ILM LoPros...............
98 RS Black Mazdaspeed shocks/springs, Autoexe CAI, RB Duals, gold wheels and Victory Lane air freshener ....
99 Sport red £700 of pure awesomeness.

#12 martinpw

martinpw

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

I with you on this, although the thing that would put me off is the handbrake being on the wrong side.

I think the red painted bit at the top is part of the door card, it feels like painted plastic of some sort to me, not cold and hard like metal door structure would be. Also, I find the close handbrake position really good, less of a strain on the elbow when pulling it on.

I remember the Hillman Imp doors, passed my test in my dad's...

#13 tdk

tdk

MotorPunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

Sinclair C5

Sold that last year. 

#14 tdk

tdk

MotorPunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

So what did you buy?

Fiat 500, 1972. A rather unusual spec and colour and with some retro mods. Pics and stuff to follow. It's terrifying/hilarious.

#15 robygodzilla

robygodzilla

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

*cough cough* so what do I win????

#16 tdk

tdk

MotorPunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

A passenger ride if you're brave enough.

#17 robygodzilla

robygodzilla

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

A passenger ride if you're brave enough.

Sign me up. Mate had an old 126 which was a hoot to drive.

#18 impreza_dood

impreza_dood

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

My first car was a 500.... pd 50quid for it.... welding and painting done before my 17th.... that was 1985..... I've since moved on.... but still look at the ads....
In standard form it's not terrifying at all.... so it's most likely got something like an 895cc Webber fed beast of and engine with 5spd box and hopefully disc brakes....... sounds epic!

#19 tdk

tdk

MotorPunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

Quick pic as I'm busy writing the feature story for the launch of my magazine. Here it is. Disc brake conversion, lightly rolled arches, new paint, minilites, synchro 'box, Weber carb and some engine mods I can't decipher which make it quick and noisy. A few little jobs to do but it's incredibly good fun to chuck about;

motorpunk-fiat-500.jpg

#20 impreza_dood

impreza_dood

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

Is that positano yellow...... or as i ussd to call it.... vommit yellow!...?

Whats great about these cars is that you can drive them flat out....
Far more enjoyment in driving a slow car fast.... than a fast car slow became roads or traffic won't allow it.... ( or laws!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users