11 replies to this topic

#1 BiMU

BiMU

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

I have a Mk1 and a stone/rock/meteor decided to land on my windshield, cracking it.

My question is has anyone claimed though insurance. What should I be looking out for or keeping an eye on if I have a replacement screen? Been reading to use OEM rubber, have a scuttle replacement ready?

Anymore info would be great.

Thanks

Jason

#2 The Bear

The Bear

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

See below (double post...)

#3 The Bear

The Bear

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Watch them do it.
Ensure that they take great care not to scratch the window frame as this will create a massive rust problem if it isn't already damaged. Ideally they will use a non metallic tool to remove the existing sealant, have words if a Stanley knife comes out ...
To that end, have a good look at the frame with the window removed and address and bare metal/corrosion issues while you have the access.

#4 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10255 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

Check your insurance policy for their approved fitters, typically a big one like Autoglass, and then phone the fitter. You'll almost undoubtedly have a "windscreen excess" of £50-£75 and that's all you pay. The repairer will deal with your insurer.
That's good advice about checking for A-pillar scratches while the windscreen is out.
I have also had one windscreen replacement that didn't go through insurance (part of repairs from previous A-pillar rust!) and the screen alone was £140 about 10 years ago.

#5 BiMU

BiMU

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Watch them do it.
Ensure that they take great care not to scratch the window frame as this will create a massive rust problem if it isn't already damaged. Ideally they will use a non metallic tool to remove the existing sealant, have words if a Stanley knife comes out ...
To that end, have a good look at the frame with the window removed and address and bare metal/corrosion issues while you have the access.

I definitely will watch them do it! 

Check your insurance policy for their approved fitters, typically a big one like Autoglass, and then phone the fitter. You'll almost undoubtedly have a "windscreen excess" of £50-£75 and that's all you pay. The repairer will deal with your insurer.
That's good advice about checking for A-pillar scratches while the windscreen is out.
I have also had one windscreen replacement that didn't go through insurance (part of repairs from previous A-pillar rust!) and the screen alone was £140 about 10 years ago.

Will do thanks!

#6 plumber

plumber

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

I have a “milky” white bottom corner appeared on my windscreen and made a claim via insurance to Autoglass to replace. I informed them it has a blue tint (1991 eunos without mirror mount) the guy from Autoglass just phoned to say they can no longer source the blue tint, so options are 1. Green tint (when door glass have blue), 2. Clear glass or 3. Source a blue one myself and they will charge £90 to fit. Has anyone gone with options 1 or 2? If so how does it look? Also anyone know where I can source a blue tinted one?
Thanks

#7 threeflies

threeflies

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

Try a different screen replacer. National windscreens did mine a few year ago, brilliant.

#8 corders

corders

Yarr I be the Cap'n

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7366 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

Had green for one of my previous screens and it was just fine, went back to blue on my previous change 2 years ago as they had it in stock

#9 plumber

plumber

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

Thanks Threeflies, National windscreens say they can get the blue tint. Initially the girl insisted it was bronze tint and my car was a mk2 (eunos first registered in UK in 2000) but when I explained the actual year was 1991 she said they could get blue. It’s scheduled in for next Wed so I will provide an update. I have bought a new rubber seal for the scuttle is there anything else I should do when it’s out, apart from checking A frame for rust, chips etc?

#10 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

Make sure they don’t expose bare metal when they cut the old one out, especially around the bottom of the A posts. If they do ensure that they prime it before fitting the new glass.

#11 plumber

plumber

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

New screen fitted today by National windscreens. Blue tint. Screen was made by same company as the old one so may have been replaced in the past. The fitter was very careful and thorough and checked pillars with me and primed a very small bit of exposed metal on A post. He did a first class job and my only slight disappointment is the new rubber seal for the wiper Cowal is not 100% tight to the glass. With the sun today it has settled a good bit but a very small gap can be seen in a couple of places. I might try and leave a weight on it for a while. Overall very happy with new screen.

#12 threeflies

threeflies

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

If it doesn't settle give them a ring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users