#61 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

That has no relevance to anything.

The point was you were getting angry at others who you had called keyboard warriors, inadvertently becoming the exact thing you accused them of.

This thread is going around in circles. People who don't want to use flush aren't going to use flush. Myself included, I prefer to just keep on top of regular oil changes. Others don't see the issue with using flush and will continue to use it, and more than likely have absolutely no issues with clogged oil galleries etc.

All just personal preference.

#62 Dr Eunos

Dr Eunos

Dr. Eunos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5466 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

That has no relevance to anything.

The point was you were getting angry at others who you had called keyboard warriors, inadvertently becoming the exact thing you accused them of.

This thread is going around in circles. People who don't want to use flush aren't going to use flush. Myself included, I prefer to just keep on top of regular oil changes. Others don't see the issue with using flush and will continue to use it, and more than likely have absolutely no issues with clogged oil galleries etc.

All just personal preference.

Once you get an MX5 it is your choice, drive 18,000 miles between oil changes, then when it goes wrong write a little note to Rob85 and ask for compensation, let us all know how you get on...

BRGNA Porthcawl no longer applies- `Green Meanie` now sold, `Lightning MxQueen` now sold.
3,500ml trip to 2013 F1 Monza GP  with lots of photos here Current cars:
Mazda 6 Sport 2.5 petrol. Family Shitter! Current Roadster . 1994 Eunos J2-Ltd

#63 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

I don't think you're getting where I'm coming from.

I'm not taking sides with Rob85, or saying 18,000 miles is fine. I completely agree that not doing an oil change in 18,000 miles is stupid and as you have said, asking for trouble. But it's the exact reason why I then wouldn't use a flush. Frequent oil changes are all you should need.

I personally don't use flush and wouldn't use flush. I instead just do oil and filter changes every 5-6k or so. That way any sludge that may have built up over the years with a previous owner will be gently cleaned away by the fresh oil, instead of running the risk of an engine flush dislodging a larger bit of dirt and it causing some sort of partial blockage in the oil ways.

In my opinion.

#64 Dr Eunos

Dr Eunos

Dr. Eunos

• Members
  • 5466 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Opinion noted, here`s a little secret of mine, I change my oil bang-on recommendation but I replace my oil filter every other change, work it out...

BRGNA Porthcawl no longer applies- `Green Meanie` now sold, `Lightning MxQueen` now sold.

#65 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

What's the recommendation for these engines, every 3k? For the sake of a couple of quid why not change the filter every time?

When I get an MX5 I'll stick to the recommendation of 3k (if that's what it is), the 5-6k frequency I used was on a car that suggested a change every 11k, which for an old petrol engine is too long in my opinion. It's not a big secret that a basic key to engine longevity is frequent oil changes. It's bad with new diesel engines, they get filthy internals fairly quickly because manufacturers overstate the intervals.

#66 niggle

niggle

Rollin' on 15's, baby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4392 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Drop oil replace with cheap High Detergent oil (diesel engine oil) run it for a week or so drop oil and replace with normal stuff, job done

^ This.

Get it nice and hot and then drop the oil. Buy 5L of diesel oil and when the the oil stops dripping out of the drain hole pour the 1L of clean oil that you have left over in the filler on the cam cover and let that flush any cack out of the bottom of the sump.

Previously: '93 Eunos Roadster 1.6 (NA6CE) in Silver Stone.
Rota Slipstreams, Hankook K110s, Meister Rs, FM ARBs, Mr Fast front lower brace, S/S silenced decat, Cobalt S/S 'zorst.

47554.png265868.png392604.png

#67 Dr Eunos

Dr Eunos

Dr. Eunos

• Members
  • 5466 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Because the filter is more than capable of filtering the oil clean enough for long enough, even if the long chain molecules in the oil were destroyed many thousands of miles previous. As I only use filters from Mazda they are not exactly `a few quid` so I get twice the life out of them.

#68 Rob85

Rob85

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ the midnight keyboard warriors are out in force, was there an earthquake in the North East last night or something?

Just remember, with insomnia you are never really asleep and you are never really awake either......

18,000 miles without an oil change in an NA/NB MX-5 is just asking for trouble and it is a very good idea to flush the crap out of your engine if you have gone over the recommended oil change intervals.

Go on then, I'll have a bite.

Do you have any actual evidence, research or qualifications to make those statements? or is that just opinion based on what you think is right?

I suppose being a fully qualified aircraft engine and airframe technician then running company cars for 1,000,000+ miles without blowing-up a single engine counts for fuck-all in your `simpleton world` ?

I was amazed and very sceptical when Audi / VW dealers started using Castrol SLX and changed the service intervals from 10.000 miles to 20,000 miles, funnily enough this co-incides exactly with when Audi/VW engines ceased to be `bullet-proof` to 250,000+ miles. I dont need to bite but when some twat like yourself tries to make out they know better, then I`ll make an exception.

wow,

while I'm delighted by your shitty attitude, you can wind it in, not call me a twat and chill the fuck out. for your information I don't live in a "simpleton world" I am, as it happens, a qualified mechanic (granted that means pretty much nothing) and a marine engineer in the Royal Navy, I won't bore you with my job description but being an engine room supervisor, diesel maintainer and PWR2 nuclear reactor watchkeeper would count for something in my "simpleton world"?

the fact you resort to verbal instead of a coherent argument says it all really, you arse.

WANTED: WORK MEISTER S2R CENTRE CAP/S - CASH WAITING!

#69 zornyan

zornyan

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Lol i love internet warriors. Everyone has their own opinions. My engine builder that has probably built more forged engines than youve ever looked at in your life, that also has contracts for alot of mountune/cosworth builds because they think hes the best.

His opinion? Engine flush is shit and shouldnt be used by anyone with 2 brain cells or that gives a shit about their engine :)

#70 Dr Eunos

Dr Eunos

Dr. Eunos

• Members
  • 5466 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Lol i love internet warriors. Everyone has their own opinions. My engine builder that has probably built more forged engines than youve ever looked at in your life, that also has contracts for alot of mountune/cosworth builds because they think hes the best.

His opinion? Engine flush is shit and shouldnt be used by anyone with 2 brain cells or that gives a shit about their engine :)

Please tell me you are not talking about Julian Godfrey? I can put you straight on a few of his very expensive builds...

#71 zornyan

zornyan

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Lol no rob at PEC kelvedon, distributor and designer of alot of pistons and rods along side wossener, used to work for mountune but quit to start his own company, mountune now outsource their work to him because they couldnt find someone better to do the job

#72 welshy1

welshy1

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Most garages sell engine flushes and fuel treatments for 2 things. If it with forte products you are signed into the good garage scheme which is supposed to give customers a garage they can trust.

One is to be in the good garage scheme and two for profit.

The garage I work at pay £5 quid a bottle and sell them for £12 so a nice little earner.

My own opinion is that I wouldn't use it on my cars but I keep the oil changed between 6-8k in my daily and more frequently in my kit car when I get it on the road. In some times it can be bad for an engine specially if the oil hasn't been changed for a while just for an example the 1,6 hdi/tdci engines.

These engines are lets put it poorly designed and are up there with the worst diesel engines out there. If you flush one of these with very old oil in it the crap that has been kept in one place will have been disturbed. If this gets in to the filter for the banjo bolt in the oil feed to the turbo it can cause oil starvation to the turbo. Which will in not a lot of time run the bearing dry of oil and destroys the turbo. These engines are notorious for leaking injector seals which if not replaced will end up filling the engine oil with carbon/diesel. If the oil doesn't get replaced then it a full cycle and kills the engine.

Back to mx5 if you want to and have used it before it wont do much harm to it but it wont suddenly make the engine go bang as some make out more on diesels where it can be more problem than it's worth. If you don't want to and don't like them don't use them simple as that.

#73 EdwardYork

EdwardYork

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:48 PM

Most garages sell engine flushes and fuel treatments for 2 things. If it with forte products you are signed into the good garage scheme which is supposed to give customers a garage they can trust.

One is to be in the good garage scheme and two for profit.

The garage I work at pay £5 quid a bottle and sell them for £12 so a nice little earner.

My yarkoweb own opinion is that I wouldn't use it on my cars but I keep the oil changed between 6-8k in my daily and more frequently in my kit car when I get it on the road. In some times it can be bad for an engine specially if the oil hasn't been changed for a while just for an example the 1,6 hdi/tdci engines.

These engines are lets put it poorly designed and are up there with the worst diesel engines out there. If you flush one of these with very old oil in it the crap that has been kept in one place will have been disturbed. If this gets in to the filter for the banjo bolt in the oil feed to the turbo it can cause oil starvation to the turbo. Which will in not a lot of time run the bearing dry of oil and destroys the turbo. These engines are notorious for leaking injector seals which if not replaced will end up filling the engine oil with carbon/diesel. If the oil doesn't get replaced then it a full cycle and kills the engine.

Back to mx5 if you want to and have used it before it wont do much harm to it but it wont suddenly make the engine go bang as some make out more on diesels where it can be more problem than it's worth. If you don't want to and don't like them don't use them simple as that.

100% true, for me it was really interesting to read this thread, even 6 years past, because now I have the same issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users