11 replies to this topic

#1 treeroy

treeroy

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:09 PM

I'm looking at buying another mx5, a mk1 specifically. I'm spending around £2k, maybe a bit less, maybe bit more. It seems like mk1 values are on the rise, and looking at cars for sale at this price, some of them are advertised as having rust issues; while others are advertised as being clean and not in need of repairs. 

Is a relatively rust free mk1 at £2,000 realistic?

I am fully aware there are few cars "rust free" but if I could get my hands on a mk1 that will go say 2 years through MOTs without requiring rust work, that would be great, but I don't know if this goal is realistic.

Thanks.

#2 rosko

rosko

Marmite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3717 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:27 PM

Certainly not ! It all depends on how  much your Insurance company is prepared to pay out anwhat you can afford in addition to it . How many body parts you are prepared to sacrifice also plays a part , mine cost me a Finger and a Leg !  :o

A Silverback with attitude :computer:

#3 Chris' UK Miata

Chris' UK Miata

Miata GT25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

One of my friends just picked up a 1990 (H) BRG Eunos for 250 quid. It needs some pretty heavy paint correction but is a completely solid car with no rust and no repairs!

Also, it’s not true that all MX5s rust… Just most of them. Mine has never rusted. The subframe and control arms have suffered from some surface stuff, but the body has always been perfect and solid. Even sat outside for 6 months at Nick Skuzzle’s; unused. You just have to use eagle eyes. They do turn up from time to time…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Begi Miata GT25
Made in Japan - Raised in the USA - Grew up in the UK

8.5:1 84.5mm pistons/H-beam rods/ARP studs/ACL bearings
BP4W head, 2 & 3 angle valve seats, 264/264 cams/Double valve springs
Holset HE221w

ME221
Still broken

#4 airhead_irl

airhead_irl

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

In gerneral, it is getting harder to get decent Mk1's for little money. I have no doubt that the odd bargain may still be out there but, on average, the ones with very low price tags are that way for a reason. I think the days of buying good Mk1's for shed money are gone. And I agree with Chris, not all Mk1's rusted. A lot but not all !

#5 tony100

tony100

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

I tend to agree. Some rare rust free cars could exist for cheap. The time and money you would spend looking for a perfect example you could get an okish car and repair it. All cars rust, Entropy increases and all that. I think that earlier cars tend to rust less.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

#6 boosted

boosted

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

I really do think the mk1s are a better option than the 2s and 2.5s..they dont suffer the front chassis leg rust issues.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#7 Quinvy

Quinvy

Phil.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

I hear stories about people getting amazing cars for very little money, but I've never seen one myself.
I think it depends on "the eye of the beholder"

#8 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

I hear stories about people getting amazing cars for very little money, but I've never seen one myself.
I think it depends on "the eye of the beholder"

think luck & being in the right place @ the right time also factor :whistle: 

they are out there, just avoid the scene-monkies (usually badly repaired with dubious modifiscations :rolleyes: ) & people intent on proffit (sorta obvious  :wacko: ) and dont rush into a purchase...

location & seasons also help as in january people need to pay off their seasonal spending &  summer months people want open-top fun :driving: 

sub ~£500 cars that are not doomers exist, look at the badly listed ebay 'spares' adverts and ask friends if they've seen anything parked up / in open garages?

last october I foind a generally solid but scruffy 1990 Eunos with hardtop for £275, okey it needs paint and the rear panel is doomed with no carpets but has origonal sills & arches etc.

2 1/2 years ago my silver '91 Eunos was £550 with a years mot, admittedly it's scruffy - hence the '50 shades name :D 

it needs paint but is solid  with origonal sills & arches  (previous owner had fitted new clutch, waterpump / cambelt, cobalt exhaust, lowering springs & full mk2 interior so a few quid spent prior to sale)

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, COP conversion, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#9 Dickie

Dickie

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

I have a 1994 Eunos, I have had it for six years, I it has only failed the MOT once in that time ( Headlamp Aim ) It has had advisory's on wear and tear items, Tyres, Brake Pads, etc. Body work is excellent , paintwork is showing its age.

It lives in a decent dry garage with a Dehumidifer and I keep the hardtop on during the winter months.

You need to look for a car that is an older persons second car that has been in long term ownership and kept garaged. ( MX5 Owners Club cars )

It is worth spending more on a better car to save spending large sums of money on rust repairs.

#10 atlex

atlex

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

Rule: Spend 30 minutes looking under any mx5 before you buy it! buy a torch if you have to. You can get rusty shitters with great paint for £5000 or like-new ones for £1500 (or less!!!) which just need a bit of TLC on the visible panels.

#11 treeroy

treeroy

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:33 AM

Rule: Spend 30 minutes looking under any mx5 before you buy it! buy a torch if you have to. You can get rusty shitters with great paint for £5000 or like-new ones for £1500 (or less!!!) which just need a bit of TLC on the visible panels.

That is my intention before buying! 
Thanks for the input all...

#12 saz99611

saz99611

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

I have a 1994 Eunos, I have had it for six years, I it has only failed the MOT once in that time ( Headlamp Aim ) It has had advisory's on wear and tear items, Tyres, Brake Pads, etc. Body work is excellent , paintwork is showing its age.

It lives in a decent dry garage with a Dehumidifer and I keep the hardtop on during the winter months.

You need to look for a car that is an older persons second car that has been in long term ownership and kept garaged. ( MX5 Owners Club cars )

It is worth spending more on a better car to save spending large sums of money on rust repairs.

You wouldn't want mine. I'm classed as an older person now, OC member since 1997. The Mk1 I have now, I've had for 15 years, garaged most of that time, second car for at least half of that time. Rarely passes a MOT first time; these days it struggles on emissions mainly.

It has 270k kms now, on second engine, fourth roof, 3rd set of seats,  both rear sills, arches replaced, resprayed, but could do with another one soon, wees all over my new drive,  On third bumper, after I stuffed it into a grass bank. And some elderly chap vandalised the car.

48155548191_a9be4b1267_o.jpg

48733100378_6d9f1b75f3_o.jpg

48740256927_94f8be4c5a_o.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users