mk1 1.8 V-Spec BRG, mk3 1.8 option PFHT true red

#2 agamston

agamston

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

I've had the same thought too and I like the look of the pioneer appradio2 as posted on the thread "Lisa's Mx5 (Mk3) Project (Pic Heavy!)". Look really nice and appears to do everything.

#3 guitarjon

guitarjon

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10170 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

That app radio thing looks good.

#4 guitarjon

guitarjon

• Members
  • 10170 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

I keep fancying something with a built in sat nav and Bluetooth etc but can't be arsed with the hassle of the Bose system and wires :(

#5 WolvesWill

WolvesWill

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Its really not that hard Jon :)

Here's my setup...I posted a long reply in that thread about it, and my thoughts on what parts to use to fit a double din unit :) see here:

http://www.mx5nutz.c...se#entry1598400

AjakXGp.jpg

2008 NC 2.0 Sport - AKA Trigger's Broom (Now sold)

#6 agamston

agamston

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Your setup looks awesome, what would I need so that the steering wheel controls still work? Also would you recommend your head unit?

#7 guitarjon

guitarjon

• Members
  • 10170 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

I think another thing that's putting me off is the price of the blooming double din surrounds! And faff ins around with the steering wheel controls as I do use them. It's probably simple but I tried to get steering wheel adapters to fit a previous car and halfords were crap, kept selling me the wrong part and saying it would work and I couldn't get it to work any other way.

#8 taff7996

taff7996

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Double din surround £39.90

http://www.dynamicso...ml#.UuAw7X-QGSN

#9 taff7996

taff7996

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Wolve

Its really not that hard Jon :)

Here's my setup...I posted a long reply in that thread about it, and my thoughts on what parts to use to fit a double din unit :) see here:

http://www.mx5nutz.c...se#entry1598400

AjakXGp.jpg

That looks fantastic Wolve, that's exactly what I'm looking far. I've even taken a screen shot of your set up, it will give me something to aim for :-)

#10 stuartb

stuartb

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4026 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Double din surround £39.90

http://www.dynamicso...ml#.UuAw7X-QGSN

Also available on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.u...o-/231126853701

The price is a bit of a kicker. MX5Parts were trying to get rid of them last year/year before, so I got one for less than a tenner.

#11 guitarjon

guitarjon

• Members
  • 10170 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

For what it is its expensive. I guess someone had to design the moulds etc though.

#12 Shappers

Shappers

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Looks like a neat install. 

aftermarket stereo surrounds do my head in, the amount of times they don't fit, or the colour match is completely off annoys me. 

Had a right faff with a  seller on eBay when I was sorting an aftermarket stereo for my yaris. The surround was such $hit quality it didn't fit, was grey instead of black and none of the screw mounting points even remotely lined up. The thing fell apart when we finally took it off... seller didn't want to know and refused a refund as it was 'damaged'... grrr

#13 agamston

agamston

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Double Din £22.99

http://caraudiosecur...ouble-din-facia

I've used this website before and the service was brilliant

#14 Bolosun

Bolosun

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I have an Alpine single DIN head unit that has Bluetooth, but no SAT-NAV, that took me 30 mins to fix and also uses the steering wheel controls. It is easy to replace the original head unit.

#15 stuartb

stuartb

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4026 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I had a JVC unit in my Mk3, but I didn't bother getting an adapter for the steer wheel controls.  The sound is OK, but not as dynamic as the OEM unit.  The main problem I had with it (and the reason that I haven't put it into the new car) is that I have to keep adjusting the volume as I change speed.   The OEM unit has speed or noise-related adaptive volume.

Has anyone managed to get an aftermarket unit that does adaptive volume control?

In the mean time, I've dealt with my biggest niggle by burning 6 CDs of MP3, so I no longer have to faff with changing CDs when I want to listen to different music.

#16 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 3338 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Yeah that would be a bonus re the speed related volume control for an aftermarket unit, if it could work in the same way. It was the only niggle with the Alpine unit in my Mk2, very good head unit but I was forever fiddling with the volume up and down but I guess there always a downside to these head units.

35547829532_68c83b3eb5_n.jpg

Mk3 True Red Sport.  RS 6 speed in Racing Bronze (now sold)

#17 WolvesWill

WolvesWill

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Your setup looks awesome, what would I need so that the steering wheel controls still work? Also would you recommend your head unit?

The steering wheel control setup is simple, if you check the other thread you'll see the parts needed for the wiring, this are the part numbers for the wiring harnesesI used to change my Bose equipped car:

Autoleads PC99-X46 - Mazda specific harness adaptor

Autoleads - PC99-xxx - Patch lead of your choice (you buy the cable that matches the stereo you want to fit, e.g. PC99-ALP for Alpine units, PC99-KEN for Kenwood etc

No other wiring harnesses are required, its all plug and play for this part, theres instructions with the Autoleads bits, and all the connections use plug types that make it impossible to put it together the wrong way...so nice and easy and logical.

The potentially tricky bit (that requires cutting/joining just one wire to another) is connecting the 'remote' wire from the new stereos wiring harness to the amplifier trigger wire on the cars wiring loom.  You may not need to do this, it depends on whether the 'remote' wire is left loose as it was on my Alpine unit, or whether its wired into the ISO plug block that will fit the PC99-X46 lead mentioned above.

This wire acts to send a signal from the head unit in the dashboard to 'turn on' and power up the Bose amplifiers behind the seats, whenever you turn the stereo on.  Without connecting this wire, the stereo will power up and function, but you won't hear anything, as the separate Bose amps won't be powered up.

Check out these wiring diagrams, should be useful  - Top wiring pin out is for Bose cars, bottom one is for non-Bose.  The 'remote' wire on the harness that comes with your new stereo needs to be connected to the wire that is for 'Pin 1J - Amp Control'.

SHNPoYx.gif

This will ensure that when you turn on your new stereo unit, that the Bose amps are still powered up so you can actually get sound.  Its simply a case of cutting this wire, and joining it to the remote wire on your harness.  Best way to join them is to use Posi-lock connectors, you can easily unscrew these and revert back to standard, much better than traditional scotchlock type fittings, and far less fiddly than trying to solder tiny wires inside the middle of your centre console!

Only complaints I'd have over swapping the unit - volume control range is not so good (the new unit seems 'louder' so I rarely turn it louder than 7-8 on the volume setting), and you need to turn down the bass using the EQ settings, otherwise its way too bass heavy compared to the factory unit.  And as sturartb says...no auto volume raising linked to speed.  But for the improvements in functionality, use, and appearance, its worth it (full ipod control with wires routed through to the glovebox, steering wheel controls retained, and bluetooth with external mic).

As for my unit - Alpine iVE-535BT.  I like it.  I have had earlier 'double din' units from both Alpine and JVC and the ipod control worked very slowly.  The newest generation units work very quickly and give you album art feature as you can see in my pic above.  Get a modern unit from JVC, Alpine or Pioneer (one from 2012 model ranges onwards) and all should have a very fast and responsive user interface and will be able to browse through ipod music very quickly.

#18 stuartb

stuartb

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4026 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

My JVC unit does line-out (for use with amps, rather than directly powering the speakers).  I've never connected it up that way, but I recall seeing some settings (hidden somewhere under the audio menu) to control the pre-amp gain.  You might find that you can do the same on your Alpine.

For you ipod, I recommend routing it through under the centre console and bringing it out into the glove-box between the seats (or delete the cupholders and put it there) .  I did this with ipod-link on the old car (before I swapped the head unit over).  There's a surprising amount of free space under the centre console.

#19 WolvesWill

WolvesWill

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

I know it can be done but the glovebox is very easy to route through to as well, I was happy with it going in there - yeah its harder to reach but I tend to put new music on it every few months and just leave it in there :whistle:

As for the line outs, you're right about the line out setup, never really had a play with the settings there but if I turn down the gain on the outputs then it should give me much more usable volume range and thus greater adjustment/sensitivity.

#20 stuartb

stuartb

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4026 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I left my ipod in the centre box and then locked it.   I don't use that box very often.   If you're lazy, and don't need access, there's room under the stereo, behind the heater controls. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users