Pop-Ups Lifting On Turning Ignition (1.6 Na '91 Uk) - Problems - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Pop-Ups Lifting On Turning Ignition (1.6 Na '91 Uk)

headlights electrical pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FleecyWelshGez

FleecyWelshGez

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

Hi all, could do with a bit of help.

The car's been off the road sat for about 12 months when I first noticed this and I'm only reaching out now a few months later. The headlights used to only lift when I'd engage the sidelights or dipped regardless of the button on the dash. Now, whenever I turn the ignition (prior to engaging the starter motor) the headlights lift and won't go down even after playing with the dash button. If you turn off the headlights, they drop but instantly come back up, indicating some sort of "always on" signal somewhere in the wiring. The dash button works fine when the ignition's on, I just run into this problem once the car wakes up essentially. I've checked my earths and they all seem good, any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks in advance,

Gez

#2 Zed.

Zed.

layabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

what car? (UK or Jdm)

also

origonal spec or scene-tastic?

any wiring mods?

Rich.

50 Shades of Silver. '91 NA6CE, Not a show car :driving: 
Ohlins dampers, COP conversion, 4.778:1 & more ideas than time :yes:
Bodger :ph34r:

https://mighty5s.com...silver-na-eunos

#3 FleecyWelshGez

FleecyWelshGez

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

what car? (UK or Jdm)

also

origonal spec or scene-tastic?

Rich.

It's a UK '91, No fancy electrics other than standard stuff, this issue cropped up after just being sat in a garage for a year

#4 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

try here: https://forum.miata....ad.php?t=625696 could be the headlamp retract relay

mk1 1991 Eunos with RS NB drivetrain: https://www.mx5nutz....howtopic=322586

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#5 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

So the dash switch works normally with the ignition off?  Not likely to be the switch then.  

And whenever the ignition is on, it seems something is sending 12V to the "up" wire.  But when you turn the headlights off they retract momentarily.  That suggests that the Retract relay is able to switch to sending 12V on the "down" wire, which makes it less likely to be the cause of the permanent 12V on the "up " wire.

An added complication is UK cars "dim-dip" wiring; I've never seen a wiring diagram for how that works.

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that I've seen a few folk on the Nutz FB page saying their headlights get stuck up after they fit LED headlights but nobody's ever posted a solution and it's not clear if only dim-dip cars are affected.

If it helps, according to this: http://www.mellens.n...1991_wiring.pdf  the "up" wire from the dash switch is red/yellow and the "down" wire is red/green.  That red/green then goes to the Retract relay where it can be switched to the red/yellow wire to drive the lights up or white/red to drive the lights down.  

Probably the obvious thing to try is unplugging the Retract relay to see if the permanent "up" command goes away.  If not it might be a wiring fault (nibbling mice?).

#6 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

Oh, wait.  I may be overthinking it.

When the headlight motors finish popping up, they switch to look for 12V on their "down" wire instead.  

If the Retract relay was working normally, they would see that "down" command and pop straight down again.  So the retract relay isn't sending them the expected down signal, so it probably is sending an up signal instead.  Might be a fault in the Retract relay, but might be a fault in the signal going to it instead (on a white/black wire).

#7 rjb

rjb

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:40 PM

Hi All, 

Having the exact same issue with mine (1990 1.6) after fitting some questionable LED's from china

I have for some reason or another a dimly lit main beam on the dash (only visible when in my dark garage) so the lights motors are seeing 12v from somewhere, initially thought it was a short within the light itself being chinese specials, but even when i unplug them they pop up?

let me know how you got on 

Reece

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, electrical, pop-ups

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users