Is It Worth The Cost To Fix The Rust? - The MX-5/Roadster: FAQ's - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Is It Worth The Cost To Fix The Rust?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

I have a silver NB(FL) that I really love and runs like a dream. Engine is a peach and only on 60k, had a GC Fabrications roll bar fitted (by GC Fabrications himself) and coilovers etc plus lots of little personal touches.

Trouble is the old rear arch rot has set in. Just took it SJB Bodyworks in Bedfordshire who was highly recommended by our mechanic and he thinks both sides are going to need a full cut out and replace job (which I agree with) at a cost of £1200  :blink:

I have two questions really:

1) Does that sound right for the work. It would be cutting out all the rust, brand new wings, and painted and blended.

2) Do you think it's worth the cost or should we look around for a rust-free or already-repaired alternative?

Thanks

#2 corders

corders

Yarr I be the Cap'n

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7388 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Seems a totally reasonable price and you end up owning a mk2 with no impending rear rust issues for the cost of owning one which will

#3 monka

monka

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

worth it depends on you really

what would you have to pay to get something similar to yours? £1500-£2k? and in 12 months time you still run the risk of finding rust

#4 Team_Awesome

Team_Awesome

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4028 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

I said it wasn't worth it and started to turn it into a kit car. £12k deep now.

#5 Kez

Kez

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Find somewhere cheaper, I've just had one side done for about £300. They all rust eventually, so it's just another part of the cost of ownership of these cars.

#6 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Booked in for mid-Feb but going to get it on a ramp beforehand to make absolutely sure it's not rotten elsewhere. It's also being MOTd on Monday so I've asked the mechanic (a friend of the family) to give it a good look over at the same time.

Decided that the car is too good to get rid of. We plan to keep it for a long time and since we'd otherwise be replacing it with one that might need the same work doing anyway, it's better to just get it sorted.

#7 atlex

atlex

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

Just make sure you get it properly treated if you blow a grand on it.

#8 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Will do. We've found a local place with a lift we can rent for cheap and we now store her in a garage so the plan is to get it all sorted then do a proper underseal job and re-do that every 6 months or so.

#9 boosted

boosted

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1643 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Check the front chassis rails...where the anti roll bar attaches...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#10 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Took her up to the bodyshop on Saturday ready for him to start work this week. Getting arches rolled at the same time so we can prep the new wheels and get them on once we get her back.

Also need to book a ramp and underseal the shit out of it! Is Waxoyl still considered the best thing for the job?

#11 MX5-JW

MX5-JW

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

I too have a Rusty mk2.5 and im in the same boat. just found out it requires rust repairs on the front chassis rails and fear the worse...

havent got a quote yet and plan to get it up on a ramp to inspect everywhere to get a full list of whats required. 

Dont have a clue how much this may cost...

#12 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • 4461 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

I too have a Rusty mk2.5 and im in the same boat. just found out it requires rust repairs on the front chassis rails and fear the worse...

havent got a quote yet and plan to get it up on a ramp to inspect everywhere to get a full list of whats required. 

Dont have a clue how much this may cost...

Not as much as you'd think, £500 for both sides from a reputable place. It should be a permanent repair too (unlike the sills), once converted to single layer like the mk1s it won't rust out again.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, adapted NA short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace, 3.9 type 2 torsen, 80A diff bushes, front tow hook, rear tow hook

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#13 Ecosse

Ecosse

Ecosse

• Members
  • 3858 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Is Waxoyl still considered the best thing for the job?

No. Old hat these days really.

Look at Bilt Hamber and/or Dinitrol products. 

POR15 is an utter pig to "manage" as you work it, but it's terrific stuff.

Waxoil dehydrates over time, cracks, and lets in moisture. It need retreatment to keep it working. Good for lawnmowers though.

Beware the imbecile you did not bargain for. Perhaps in a Zafira  at Tesco waiting to self combust.

#14 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • 4461 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

For POR15, you just need to cover yourself well and ensure the chassis is properly prepared (as with all treatments). It should then just brush on easily. The only advise I have really is to make sure the car is already in the air so you can access everything you need to and not to apply it on a very hot day. It will start to set in the tin otherwise and become a little thick and sticky if you are having to stop for periods of time.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, adapted NA short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace, 3.9 type 2 torsen, 80A diff bushes, front tow hook, rear tow hook

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#15 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

Finally picked her up today and he's done an incredible job. I forgot to get photos so will update tomorrow but the arches and sills look perfect now. Spot-on colour match and the car looks like new round the arches. Apparently the offside one (which was worse) fell into his lap once he started so it was pretty rotten. Not only that but he rolled the arches nicely ready for the new wheels and even fixed a dent in the door which we never even mentioned! All done for the agreed £1200 plus he's waxoyled all the arches which will protect them until the weather improves enough for me to get underneath and do a proper job on the whole thing.

Not cheap but absolutely first class work.

It's SJB Bodyshop in Wilden, Bedfordshire. Steve is a great guy and I'm very impressed.

#16 Darren's636

Darren's636

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:36 PM

sounds like money well spent.

photos will be good

#17 3shirts

3shirts

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

Finally got out and got some pictures. Not much to see, which is the point really  :thumb-up2:

iVbCi3C.jpg

pgYC09n.jpg

qy8Sgpu.jpg

gqAqSvj.jpg

SnQA4p4.jpg

#18 Rubberduck

Rubberduck

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

It’s a great feeling having nice shiny new arches isn’t it? I had mine done last year for £1250 but that included a new front wing as well, looks amazing and makes me happy whenever I see the car.

#19 Mob17

Mob17

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

My recent mk1 purchase has the rear sill and a bit of arch rust too. But im going to start practicing to weld over the next few weeks and then tackle it myself over a few spare weekends. Then may take it to a body shop to paint.

Any beginners on here tried to weld before? If so were the results acceptable?

By the way, love the roll bar. Exact one i want (apart from the colour)

#20 noobie

noobie

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

My recent mk1 purchase has the rear sill and a bit of arch rust too. But im going to start practicing to weld over the next few weeks and then tackle it myself over a few spare weekends. Then may take it to a body shop to paint.

Any beginners on here tried to weld before? If so were the results acceptable?

By the way, love the roll bar. Exact one i want (apart from the colour)

Just be prepared for the total bill from the body shop to be more than if you let them do the welding as well. Most of the cost is in the prep phase and unexperienced welder + 0.8mm MX5 sheet metal = large possibility of distortion and warping.

Also: wax-oil POR15 etc on the underside of the car does very little except add weight. They rust from the inside and its the insides that you need to keep coated liberally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users