2006 Mc 2.0 Sport Heavy Power Steering - Mechanical & Electrical - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

2006 Mc 2.0 Sport Heavy Power Steering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ihs61

ihs61

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hi

As the title suggests I have a problem with the power steering on my MX5, its is heavy at low speeds, esp when turning the wheel when stationary, when driving it seams okay and does not make any noises or has air bubbles in the fluid.

The car has done 52,000 miles and over the past 6 years has done less than 4K, I have changed the fluid for the correct spec with no difference.

Any suggestions ? I have noticed second hand PS pumps are cheap on ebay and an easy fit, so I could get one just to see ?

Many thanks Ian 

#2 Shadgrind

Shadgrind

Torque Setting - Up to shear & back a flap😄

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

https://carfromjapan...to-turn-causes/

My fourth MX - 5, after two NB's and an NC, now got a 184BHP ND!

#3 ihs61

ihs61

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Update on my steering

over the past few months I have changed the fluid

The PS pump

The steering rack, with the track rod ends disconnetced the hubs rotated freely 

This fault is driving me mad

Apart from the heavy steering the engine revs do not change when on idle if i move the wheel, so could it be a simple as a faulty pressure switch ?

Help pls anyone

#4 ihs61

ihs61

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:07 AM

Update on my heavy steering :-

I have a 2006 MX5 2.0 sport

The steering is heavy whilst doing manoeuvres, but not that noticeable while driving, this started off being sporadic but is now like this all the time, at also does not self-centre as effectively as it used to

The car has done 54,000 miles, I have owned the car for over 5 yrs and only used very infrequently

This is what I have checked or fitted over the last 8 months:-

The brakes are not binding

The 4 tyres are matched premium brands at the correct psi 

I have changed the entire P/S fluid

A new P/S drive belt correctly tensioned

A low guaranteed low mileage P/S pump and then the steering rack fitted and 4 wheel tracking done.

The track rod ends and upper and lower ball joints disconnected, cleaned and re-greased all in perfect condition !

If I turn the wheels the rpm does not increase - New genuine Mazda P/S pump pressure switch fitted - I have tested the voltage to the switch - 11.67v. When I ground the wire from the P/S pump pressure switch the engine revs do not increase. However if I increase the engine revs the steering still does not get any easier

I did have a warning light, that when I plugged a reader in came up with P0550 Generic - current - power steering pressure sensor switch circuit, I erased the code and it’s not shown up again.

I now must admit defeat, I hate being beaten ! - I live in between M/C and Huddersfield, can anyone recommend a suitable garage ? thanks Ian

#5 BEN99W

BEN99W

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:55 PM

I have a mk2 MX5 so I dont have knowledge of your specific model, but it would seem like youve tackled the obvious problems.

If you jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground, is the steering still heavy? This would indicate a friction/seizing somewhere within the set up, perhaps in the column as its one of the few parts that havent been touched.

Also you mentioned a sensor code, perhaps try disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so in case the  ECU is remembering  something thats causing a problem.

#6 ihs61

ihs61

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

Hi Ben

With the wheels off the deck, its a free as a bird.

I have had the battery off before, but what have I got to loose 

Cheers Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users