Highest Reputation Content - Forums

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Highest Reputation Content

#1380197 Bodge It, Skid It, Crash It

Posted by Andy82 on 26 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

simple minds...

Hardly you are just moron number 459320 to join these forums for "skidz in my wielded diff car with cut springs, stupidly massive stretch and bodged unsafe visual modifications. I is cool and unique yo." So forgive us if certain members who actually have many years of automotive/mechanical experience think you are a massive tit.

#1410496 Very Very Close Shave Could Have Died In The Mx5 In Scotland

Posted by Don on 26 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

From "Landrover-scotland" forum:

"You'll never believe what I saw on Sunday. I was out picking up some haggis and illegally distilled whisky from my mate and on the way home I came across 2 silly english fuckers in a poofy little MR2. I thought there was some sort of emergency the way they flagged me down. I wasn't going to stop but they'd parked in the middle of the fucking road and I couldn't get past very easily. Honest to god, you should have seen them. They were shivering - claimed it was something to do with skidding on ice but I think they'd actually stopped at the side of the road for a shag in the snow covered bushes and had got a chill. I fucking hate tourists."

#1389416 I'm Pissed Off With Wife's Comments On My 5 Spendings!

Posted by Dumbiron on 07 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well as far as i see it....

If i spend money on the car it either goes , stops ,handles or looks better. Last year i was pestered into buying (and fitting a kitchen) and her cooking is still crap !! Total waste of money :rolleyes:

#1417043 Which Make Of Car Attracts The Worst Drivers...

Posted by robinm on 01 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

We've just driven back from Norfolk on the A149 / A148 / A47, all major trunk roads with variable (but mostly 60 MPH) speed limits.

Over 140 miles, using Satnav, we were able to accurately gauge the speed of your average 'Flidmobile' (sorry about that, but that's what we call them) = between 38 and 43 Mph, in a 60.

Invariably behind these useless drivers there builds up a huge train of drivers all actually trying to get somewhere ..

The vehicles they drive are always the same (so at least you can spot them easily), it's your usual 'Motability' fodder, small Kia's, Vauxhall Agila's (disgusting car) anything small boxy and ugly, usually the WRONG colour as well.

These are Britain's worst drivers in our book.

If, on your test, you drove at 38 Mph in a 60 Mph zone you'd be quite rightly failed for 'not making progress' .. These people should be stopped! They are a danger as normal drivers do mad things in sheer frustration trying to get by.. If these offending motorists in their Flidmobiles can't drive at 60 Mph safely, they should have their licences revoked.

Too slow is just as dangerous as too fast.

#1779403 Anyone Running Their Own Buissness?

Posted by Mr Risin' Mojo on 25 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

my 'friend' used to have a business growing exotic herbs to compliment cigarettes.

It didnt last long, i wouldnt recommend this!

#1504723 Fitted Stretch Tyres And They Have Started Leaking?

Posted by NickD on 04 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hendjay, while I am typing this other replies are coming in so this post will be out of sequence. The problem with the internet is that if you ask a question then you may get given the information you asked for, or you may just get told you are unwise in many different ways, that is the internet.

I think it is pretty clear here that the stretch you have on those tyres is not a wise thing to do. The line between cool and stupid is often in the eye of the beholder and where I live there is a strong Dub scene. The Rat look has been done to death and I think it is retarded, however even though they must require a new spine after each drive and have to plan routes to avoid speed bumps, I have to admit there are some pretty cool looking Polo's running around, wouldn't want to drive one though.

However, back to tyres. It is the air in a tyre that supports the weight of the car and allows the tyre to operate. if you remove the air in a normal tyre and rim situation the or even just run at low pressure, the sidewall collapses and the rim runs on the sidewall of the tyre, chafes the inside face removing the rubber and basically wears through the sidewall. This is not a slow process. Even at 30mph, limping a flat tyre to a layby a couple of hundred yards away will destroy it.

Here is an under inflated tyre. The owner wanted it balancing as he was getting vibration at speed!

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Here is one the Mrs made earlier. She hit a curb and then drove 100 yards to park it.

Looks OK on the outside.

IMAG0380.jpg

The inside is a different story

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Run flat tyre are made differently. They have additional strengthening and rubber in the bead area designed specifically to stop the side wall collapsing and allowing the rim to run on the inner edge of the tyre. What you have assumed or been told that stretch tyres will act as run flats is absolutely untrue.

While I have never seen the result of this particular action, I can guess pretty much what would happen.

Here is a sidewall from a tyre. This was cut out of a tyre by the metal tab that holds the arch liner rubbing on the side wall of the tyre in half a lap of Cadwell Park, so about 1 mile. As you can see, side walls have no strength and very little too them.

IMAG0641.jpg

As you lost air from the tyre, with that stretch you would just begin to run on the side wall just above the bead. It would wear through quite quickly. Even if it didn't the air forcing the bead into the seat would go and so the bead, already under pressure to unseat, would have nothing to hold it in place and the tyre would just pop off the rim, same effect as a total blow out only more so as with most blow outs the tread is still on the side walls which are still on the rims. And even if things did not happen in that order the heat generated as the pressure reduces is usually also sufficient to destroy the tyre pretty quickly too.

Some people have equally flawed wisdom that filling the tyre with tyre sealant is a good way to stop all this, it's not because stretch tyres suffer side wall damage easily and sealant just masks problems until they become big enough for the tyre to go pop.