178 replies to this topic

#1 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hello, this is my third MX5 after a break of a few years whilst I restored an old Karmann Ghia. I've had a mk2 & a mk3 but always fancied a red mk1 :-)

It’s a ’91 Eunos Roadster which I picked up as a project car for myself to tinker with this winter. I’m hoping there’s not too much major to address the sills and arches all look really solid, ironically this is the fifth car I viewed all of them a lot more expensive than this but all had signs of rot or bad previous repairs to the sills.

The vendor was a nice chap but didn’t have much of a clue about the car so hadn’t advertised any of the extras that I found when I viewed it.

29968788444_43d7f8bc02_c.jpg

29858662713_54bd790363_c.jpg

30564177446_579682495b_c.jpg

So far I’ve found it has an ARC chamber, stainless steel exhaust manifold and I believe the whole system (although it was a bit hard to tell in the mud!) a quickshift is fitted (which I hate), plus some sort of adjustable suspension (you can see dials on the bottom of the shocks) Aircon seems to work but time will tell, interior is a bit dirty but not ripped or torn,  plus the vendor threw in the hardtop which is a little rough round the edges but a bonus.

The car hasn’t had much use (or love) over the last year that the previous owner had it, but seems that owners prior to that have looked after it well.

Initial tasks are:

-          A tappety engine turned out to be low oil which seems to have gone away by it topping up with oil and giving it an Italian tune once warm  ;-)

-          A few of the belts seem to intermittently squeal – so will work my way through replacing those

-          General oil change, plugs, service etc.

-          Unknown age of cambelt – plan to change this along with water pump, various gaskets, camshaft & crank seals etc

-          There’s a suspension rattle (quite a lot) but the steering & suspension seems to be quite taut so I suspect it’s the ARB droplinks or similar – investigate &repair where needed

-          Replace quickshift with normal one

-          Paint – give the whole car a good mop to get rid of the classic red paint oxidisation

-          Hood – seems sound but the rear has a loose flap that needs attention – if it doesn’t leak I will leave it alone until the weather gets warmer then I will have a go at replacing if necessary

-          Drivers door has slightly sagged so needs adjustment, ordered some of the solid door bushings to go on at the same time

-          Front number plate plinth is cracked – may replace or even move to below the grill

-          Replace stereo with something that doesn’t have buttons the size of grains of sand and that I can actually read without having to pull over and squint at it. (honestly who designs aftermarket stereos these days? Makes me wonder if they have ever driven a car)

-          Replace the naff 15” wheels and ditchfinder tyres with a set of Panasport 8-spoke wheels I have squirrelled away in the garage

-          Fit front & rear lower chassis braces (need to check it doesn’t have them first)

No doubt after getting to know the car in the next couple of weeks there’s be more…

mk1 1991 Eunos with RS NB drivetrain: https://www.mx5nutz....howtopic=322586

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#2 klw7me

klw7me

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Looks like a Gd base to start from and added extras help

#3 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

This weekend replaced the quickshift with a standard lever (much nicer) will replace the boots when I get round to ordering them as it's only a 20 minute job,  tried to track down the suspension rattle and discovered the GAB Super suspension looks like it's pretty ancient and may need replacing. All the droplinks look ok which was my initial thought on a quick fix!  Adjusted the drivers door striker plate,  Also replaced the headlamp vent with a standard headlamp,  discovered why the hardtop was creaking - three of the four nuts holding the back mountings have fallen out :-)

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#4 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

Did some more work this weekend:

fitted the new hardtop fixings

new front number plate

oil service & filter

air filter

plugs

replaced some missing bodywork fixings from the front bumper opening, found a broken wing support

replaced gearshift boots, changed the gearshift oil

fitted the new refurbished Panasport 14" wheels, it's the first time I've ever upgraded the wheels on a car by downsizing. What a difference they have made:

Old 15" with worn tyres = 16.3kg each

New 14" wheels & tyres = 11.6kg

That means the 15" wheels are 50% heavier than the 14's !!  took the car for a brief drive and it feels much nicer, you can notice the difference in unsprung weight and the old suspension is clonking a lot less.

25351585999_5b480d1a6c_z.jpg

30952127586_8d7952279e_z.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#5 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

Just a note, tyre weights can vary massively, the difference you are seeing may be quite heavily affected by the different tyres.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace.

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#6 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

Just a note, tyre weights can vary massively, the difference you are seeing may be quite heavily affected by the different tyres.

True,  but I'm happy either way heavy tyres or wheels :-)

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#7 Rob Eunos 1989

Rob Eunos 1989

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

plus the panasports look mint :thumb-up:

#8 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Doesn't yours run gold Panasports?  I read your build thread it looks amazing with the interior :-)  I have a spare Momo Prototipo wheel which I bought for my Ghia but found too small for the old steering. I will probably use it on the MX5 after seeing how well it goes in your car !

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#9 Lewby

Lewby

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

panasports look so much better :yes:

#10 Rob Eunos 1989

Rob Eunos 1989

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:33 PM

Doesn't yours run gold Panasports?  I read your build thread it looks amazing with the interior :-)  I have a spare Momo Prototipo wheel which I bought for my Ghia but found too small for the old steering. I will probably use it on the MX5 after seeing how well it goes in your car !

Think you've got mine muddled with someone elses?  But if not, cheers for the compliment! Momo prototipo is proper nice - love mine!

Did run some really nice 14" BR minilite style wheel for a while, now sits on tungsten 6uls.  Only really swapped for the decent track tyre avaliablity!

#11 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

To update this thread jobs done so far are:

- Cambelt + tensioners

- water pump

- Camshaft & crankshaft seals

- all belts replaced

- coolant flushed & new thermostat

- Miester coilovers

- all disks, pads, one new caliper (rear stuck on)

- foamectomy on drivers seat

- removed drivers arm rest on door

- wheel replaced with Momo Prototipo

- front radiator cowling replaced

- brake fluid flush & change

- plugs

- oil & filter changed

- alignment bolts un-siezed or replaced

- new clutch slave cylinder, fluids flushed

In the middle of replacing both top & bottom ball joints on front suspension, took the car to WIM Amersham for a geo and they weren't able to set it accurately as there was too much play in the balljoints - probably good they found that out! plus all the rear adjusters were seized :-(

The foamectomy + smaller steering wheel + removing the door arm rest has given me lots more room to drive the car (I'm over 6')

One side's ball joints changed - what a pain that was on a 26yr old car!  looking forward to doing the other side now!

33322779670_a9926ed323_z.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#12 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Gave the paintwork a good t-cut & polish a few weeks ago, amazing how well a red car can buff up from it's old faded red/pink paintwork !

32930437693_3b4335ae1a_z.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#13 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2301 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Wow, good difference after a polish.

Wheels look good too, though I may be biased...

What have you used as a centre cap on that rear wheel?

#14 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

It has all 4 centre caps now,  I managed to find some Saab 9-5 caps that were almost the right size and changed the stickers to Mazda ones, still a whisker too small so I wound some ptfe tape round the fittings and they went on nice and snug.  cost about £12 in total off eBay.

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#15 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2301 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Interesting. The caps I have on mine fit well, they're from Sprint Hart wheels but look a bit ugly.

I've done a similar thing by putting​ a different badge on top.

#16 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:34 PM

Both sides ball joints now replaced, plus new anti-rattle kit for front brakes seems to have stopped most of the rattles from front of car :-)

After a trip to Wheels in Motion where they couldn't complete the alignment, I've now freed off all eight alignment bolts so a return trip is due for them to hopefully complete the job.  Two replacement bolts, (one I had to angle grind off to replace !)

38852693425_ce478ebac7_c.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#17 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Booked into Skuzzle Motorsport for a replacement clutch in May, the high biting point and stiff pedal are too much of a warning sign for me to ignore after replacing the slave cylinder and it not making any difference  :mellow:

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#18 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

MOT passed today with no advisories, good excuse to take the long way back from the MOT station :-)  looking at the MOT papers, it looks like the past owners have only done 1100 miles in the past 4 years!

34009543641_be2d4b7950_z.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#19 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

The trip to wheels in motion sorted out the geo now, just drivers caster is a tiny fraction of a percentage out now, probably due to a worn bush but I'm happy as the other 99% is a lot better :-)

Next job is to replace the heater hoses and do something about the one that runs just 5mm away from the RS*R manifold and has caused the rubber to expand and weep. Might try a combination of heat shield and routing the pipe slightly further away.  After that I can fit the TDR exhaust blanket and make my home grown induction system I've been collecting bits for :-)

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

#20 carl s

carl s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

TDR manifold blanket fitted this evening after some small small alterations due to the o2 sensor in the manifold.  Also fitted a new rigid heater pipe & O ring as the old pipe was corroded,  I took the opportunity to heat the pipe and bend it about 3/4" further away from the RS*R manifold as the original heater pipe was too close (new rubber hose fitted also).  

34374431756_4bce11cde1_z.jpg

ex - mk3 2006 2.0 sport

ex - mk2 1999 1.8is JRSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users