Help - Bonnet Hing Captive Bolts No Longer Captive! - Problems - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Help - Bonnet Hing Captive Bolts No Longer Captive!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Harvey_Tim

Harvey_Tim

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

I recently lashed out an got my bonnet resprayed, I have just gone to fit it and one of the 4 bolts that attach to the hinge brackets is no longer captive and turns freely therefore I cannot get a nut onto it. Does anybody no of a way to fix this?

I cannot see anyway of getting to the bolts as whatever they are attached to is inside the bonnet i.e. inserted during manufacture. I can’t spot weld the bolt in place as the bonnet is aluminium.

I really don’t want to scrap the bonnet having just had it resprayed and I can’t fix it with just 3 bolts (i tried but for the hinge to work it needs nuts on both bolts. The only thing I can think of is to try and hold the bolt in place with metal epoxy type stuff but I doubt if it would be strong enough.

Anybody got any ideas?
1990 Classic Red 1.6 Eunos Roadster : Rebuilt LNC engine. Eaton M45 Supercharger, TR Lane mount, tensioner, inlet and outlet, Dual Throttle Body, Alta 15% Reduction Pulley (8-9 psi), Forge Motorsport Dual Piston Dump Valve, Deatschwerks 350cc Injectors, Magnecor 8.5mm Competition HT Leads, MegaSquirt 1 v3 ECU (Dyno tuned by Skuzzle to 205bhp), BMW vtps, Skuzzle FMIC, 50mm Alloy Radiator, Mocal 16 Row Oil Cooler with Thermostatic takeoff, XTD Lighweight Flywheel, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, Hel Braided Clutch Line, JDM 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold (Maxim Works Copy), Mx5 Parts 'silenced' decat pipe, Cobalt Stainless Steel Single Exit Exhaust System, RamAir Induction, Meister-R Zeta S Coilovers, IL Motorsport Front and Rear Chassis Braces, OEM Strut Brace, TR Lane GPD Roll Bar, Harness Bar and Door Bars, TRS 4 Point Harnesses, Sparco Sprint Junior Bucket Seats, 1.8 "Big Brake" Conversion and HEL Braided Stainless Brake Hoses, 15" Team Dynamic Pro Race Alloys, 17mm Spacers, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 195x50 Tyres, "Carbing Style" Front and Rear Stainless Steel Tow Eyes, OEM Style Front Lip Spoiler, Smoothed In 'Firefly XL' Ducktail Spoiler, Mesh Vent TSI's with Eagle Eye LED Side Lights & Indicators, Fog Light relocated to Reverse Light Mod, "Flash to Pass" Mod, Vented Passenger Headlight Cover, Bonnet Lifter Struts, Flocked Instrument Binnacle, Alloy Washer Tank, Sequential Shift Light, Racelogic GPS data logger, S2000 Start Button, Additional Guages (digital), Linx 1010 Tablet for Megasquirt Dashboard, Relocated 12v Lighter & USB Charger Sockets.

Build Thread : https://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106875

#2 dadbif

dadbif

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

How about some type of rivnut? Or an expanding bolt like a rawbolt. Rivnut would be most elegant solution.

#3 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:58 PM

My first though was to use some kind of adhesive to hold it in place just long enough to tighten the nut, but it would be a mare to undo if it broke loose so adjustment while fitting would be nerve racking at least.

But that made me think you might be able to slot the top of the stud so that a flat screwdriver can stop it turning while you tighten the nut.  How about that?

#4 Harvey_Tim

Harvey_Tim

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

Hi both, thank you for the replies.

I am not sure a rivnut would work as I don’t think I can remove the original bolt, I suppose I could cut it flush and pop it into the void but if it didn’t come out it would rattle around in the bonnet.

I’m liking the idea of slotting the top of the existing bolt - I think that could work. Thanks.

If anyone else has any other alternative solutions please let me know !
1990 Classic Red 1.6 Eunos Roadster : Rebuilt LNC engine. Eaton M45 Supercharger, TR Lane mount, tensioner, inlet and outlet, Dual Throttle Body, Alta 15% Reduction Pulley (8-9 psi), Forge Motorsport Dual Piston Dump Valve, Deatschwerks 350cc Injectors, Magnecor 8.5mm Competition HT Leads, MegaSquirt 1 v3 ECU (Dyno tuned by Skuzzle to 205bhp), BMW vtps, Skuzzle FMIC, 50mm Alloy Radiator, Mocal 16 Row Oil Cooler with Thermostatic takeoff, XTD Lighweight Flywheel, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, Hel Braided Clutch Line, JDM 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold (Maxim Works Copy), Mx5 Parts 'silenced' decat pipe, Cobalt Stainless Steel Single Exit Exhaust System, RamAir Induction, Meister-R Zeta S Coilovers, IL Motorsport Front and Rear Chassis Braces, OEM Strut Brace, TR Lane GPD Roll Bar, Harness Bar and Door Bars, TRS 4 Point Harnesses, Sparco Sprint Junior Bucket Seats, 1.8 "Big Brake" Conversion and HEL Braided Stainless Brake Hoses, 15" Team Dynamic Pro Race Alloys, 17mm Spacers, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 195x50 Tyres, "Carbing Style" Front and Rear Stainless Steel Tow Eyes, OEM Style Front Lip Spoiler, Smoothed In 'Firefly XL' Ducktail Spoiler, Mesh Vent TSI's with Eagle Eye LED Side Lights & Indicators, Fog Light relocated to Reverse Light Mod, "Flash to Pass" Mod, Vented Passenger Headlight Cover, Bonnet Lifter Struts, Flocked Instrument Binnacle, Alloy Washer Tank, Sequential Shift Light, Racelogic GPS data logger, S2000 Start Button, Additional Guages (digital), Linx 1010 Tablet for Megasquirt Dashboard, Relocated 12v Lighter & USB Charger Sockets.

#5 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:32 PM

I'd clean the threads up and clean the threads on the nut up, then either stick the bolt in place with a bit of epoxy metal (a little will go quite a long way and be quite strong) or spin the nut on then tighten it while holding the end of the bolt with mole grips. Once it's on it's done. If you ever need to remove it just unbolt the hinge from the chassis.

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace.

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#6 Harvey_Tim

Harvey_Tim

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:20 AM

Thanks guys, I think I will go with fixing the bolt in place with liquid metal, once it’s set I will give the thread a good clean and run a die down it and then slot the top as well so I can hold it in place with a screwdriver if it does come away from the liquid metal.

Good point about unbolting the hinge if I ever needed to - I assume you can get to the hinge bolts when the bonnet is attached?

#7 Shadowraven

Shadowraven

Banish a little rust a day people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:29 AM

Thanks guys, I think I will go with fixing the bolt in place with liquid metal, once it’s set I will give the thread a good clean and run a die down it and then slot the top as well so I can hold it in place with a screwdriver if it does come away from the liquid metal.

Good point about unbolting the hinge if I ever needed to - I assume you can get to the hinge bolts when the bonnet is attached?

You can, I think the wing needs to come off. 

UKDM 1998 1.8 Mk2 Sport - Current mods-  Custom 6 point chassis mounted front splitter and sideskirt extensions, battery cut off switch, OEM 'small skirts' and lip, HEL braided brake lines, OEM front upper strut brace with MC brace and mazdaspeed sticker, custom made 2" high flow catback exhaust, Japspeed 4-1 exhaust manifold, Lorber 15" alloys in fiat 750 maroon volcano, uniroyal rainsport2s, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, tinted indicators, colour coded reflectors, black headlight inserts, LED sidelights, SMD number plate bulbs, dimpled and grooved mtec brake discs, mintex brake pads, de-tango'd headlights, amber bulbs, RGB footwell lights, SMD interior light, Deltastyling spoiler, foamectomy seats, mazdaspeed seat belt pads, ring ultimax headlight bulbs, IL Motorsport style bar in custom paint, ford fan washer jets, Skidnation coolant reroute with Kia thermostat housing, Gates 22436 radiator hose with hose bracket, 82/85 degree twin valve thermostat, D1 spec engine bay dress bolts, stainless steel bolts throughout engine bay, EGR blanking kit, painted brake calipers, painted tow hooks front and rear, wrinkle painted cam cover, de-greened dials with white SMDs, red needles, painted cigarette lighter, painted oil filler cap, custom made cup holder, painted radiator retainers, polished slam panel, painted alternator, painted upper manifold, painted throttle body, painted header heat shield, painted relay bracket, painted loom brackets, painted diagnostics box bracket, painted wash fluid brackets, painted ABS brackets, painted airbox brackets, painted horns and brackets, painted throttle cable brackets, painted charcoal canister brackets and hard piping, painted wiper rods, painted engine hooks, painted clutch line bracket, Jass offset license plate bracket, offset square plate, 1lt foam fire extinguisher on custom bracket and custom Velcro retaining strap, POR15 rust proofed to within an inch of it's life, cavity waxed and fully seam sealed

UKDM 2001 mk2.5 - Current mods- SMD interior light, SMD number plate lights, Corbeau Sprint (yes it fits!), modified mk2.5 door card, Skidnation seat brackets, Corba 1046 remote central locking unit, Driftworks basics 350mm leather steering wheel, NRG short hub, NRG 2.5 quick release hub, 8" weighted gear knob, factory electric wing mirrors, factory electric aerial, Kage 4" exhaust with additional powerflow silencer, foam fire extinguisher, custom fire extinguisher mounting bracket, painted cam cover, painted oil filer cap, 15" Advan SA3Rs, Nankang NS-2R 180tw, offset plate bracket, RGB footwell lighting, sun strip, painted calipers and carriers, painted headlight inserts, softtop delete, brake fluid reservoir sock, GCR3 roll bar in custom gloss black, Corbeau Ultima Pro 2006SSU 6 point harness, push button bumper quick release pins, twin port oil catch can, engine bay respray, fully POR15 rust proofed chassis, full chassis seam seal, custom permanent hardtop side mounts, Jass permanent hardtop front mounts, M-tuned large rear rotor spacers with corresponding 276mm SVT brake discs, Freakyparts larger front rotor spacers with corresponding 11" Corado G60 front rotors, HEL braided brake lines, Byba Kits GV style front lip, SVT under chassis bracing, painted radiator brackets, 
mazdaspeed seat belt pads, charcoal canister delete, large Mazdaspeed side skirts, short shifter, 60mm alloy radiator, 3" brake ducts, upper strut brace with MC brace.

2004 Celica T Sport - Current mods- Meister Zeta Pro coilovers, Forged Wilwood dynalite front calipers, Yellow stuff brake pads up front, Drimpled and slotted discs, Braided brake lines, TRD stubby aerial, Short shift kit, 17" alloys powdercoated in metallic granite, TRD centre caps, Invidia exhaust, Cusco brake master cylinder brace, SMD side light bulbs, butterfly valve delete, Aux to CD converter, 8" gear knob, sun strip, interior SMD bulb, remote damper adjusters

Sold- UKDM 1992 1.6 Mk1 SE - Current mods- Yokohama A048 semi slicks, 15" Lorber 7JJ deep dish alloys, Tein street springs on OEM dampers, IL Motorsport catback exhaust, IL Motorsport decat, K&N greenstuff filter, OMP 330mm racing wheel, TR Lane half cage, TR Lane harness bar, Elise bucket seats, Sparco 4 point harness, Ebay special JDMyo! gear knob, GV lip, Vindii ducktail

#8 Harvey_Tim

Harvey_Tim

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

Update: I used a tiny bit of JB weld to hold the stud in place enough to cut a decent slot in it with a Dremel, I then ran a die down it to clean up the rusty thread I fully expected the glue to fail whilst using the die but it didn’t. I then fitted the bonnet and again I expected the JB weld to fail once I fully started tightening the nut on the thread but much to my amazement it held.

This was my first experience of JB weld and I really only used a tiny bit and there was hardly any surface for it to bond on so I was really surprised it held - amazing stuff!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users