Nc Integrated Satellite Navigation Unit - Venture & Sport Tech Nav - I.C.E - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Nc Integrated Satellite Navigation Unit - Venture & Sport Tech Nav

nc 3.5 3.75 mk3.75 mk3.5 nc1 nc2 mk3 nav venture

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

NC Integrated Satellite Navigation Unit - Venture & Sport Tech Nav

Since 2011, the MX5 has been available from the factory with a built in touch screen Satellite navigation, in place of the standard BOSE unit. The Venture special edition, introduced in 2011 and the Sport Tech Nav and Sport Graphite which was only recently added to the line-up in late 2012, feature the double din navigation unit which is manufactured by Sanyo.

This is used across the Mazda range including certain models of the 3 and 6.

The built in navigation software is provided by TomTom and comes with Europe maps and a 3 month free trial of their LIVE services. The model number is NVA-SD8110.

You can read about it on the TomTom website - here.
And you can download the full manual - here.

There didn't appear to be a great deal of information on the interweb about this unit, so to contribute to the MX5 community, I have put together this little write up….

P1010286.JPG

The unit appears to be well made and fits neatly into the dashboard. It has a single slot CD, there is an SD card slot on the left hand side that contains the map data and TomTom software and there is also a 3.5mm AUX input below the SD card. Due to the unit having an AUX input, there is a blanking plate where the AUX input usually is, down by the 12v accessory socket in the centre console on other MX5 models.

As already mentioned the unit has a touch screen, in addition to the hard buttons up either side and the steering wheel controls, and is fairly responsive - the speed of operation appears no different to my TomTom Start portable device anyway and is perfectly usable. People have complained about the re-routing being a little slow - in other words how long it takes to recalculate the route if you deviate from the planned route.

Also present are iPod integration and Bluetooth handsfree calling, including the ability to download your phonebook and calling history. Bluetooth music streaming is not featured.

The NAG/Warning screen appears for a few seconds after turning on the ignition. However, if you leave it alone, it disappears by itself - despite the apparent requirement to press the 'I agree' onscreen button.

In the glovebox there are a bunch of wires and plugs….

P1010300.JPG

There is a USB socket - as I have done here, you can plug a USB stick in which contains MP3 music files. The manual has lots of useful information on maximum number of files and the directory structure you need to store them in. There are also RCA connectors for L&R audio input and video.

What was not clear initially is that to enable iPod integration an additional part is required. For the sum of £48 from your Mazda dealer, you can purchase an iPod adapter cable. The part number is C850-V6-572.

This enables you to play music (and video if stationary) from your iThing device and control it directly using the steering wheel controls or via the Nav unit itself.

cable.jpg

I have ordered this cable, but it hasn't arrived yet - so I tried plugging my Apple iPhone cable directly into the USB socket in the glovebox to see what happened - the Nav unit recognises the iPhone, it charges and you can see that the songs appear, as does the album art, the play/pause, shuffle, forward and backward controls work and you can select playlists etc - it is just that there is no sound. The red and white RCA connectors in the glovebox are required for the sound input part of the cable.

You may be thinking that the Mazda adapter cable looks very similar to the Apple Composite AV cable...

large_35700_1300275727.jpg

It does look EXACTLY the same - but there are a couple of reports that I found where apparently it doesn't work reliably - neither do generic copies of the Apple lead that you can find online so I've read.

Of course, once your Mazda iPod cable arrives, if you have an iPhone 4S or older, or any of the iPods older than the current versions, the Apple dock connector on the Mazda cable will plug straight into the device and you should be good to go.

However, if you have an iPhone 5 or newer, then you will also need a Dock to Lightning convertor cable/dongle costing around £25 from Apple...

lightning_adapters.jpg

A word of warning - the Lightning connector is digital, whereas the original 30pin Dock was analogue. The Lightning connector DOES output line audio L&R, because a Digital-Analogue converter (DAC) is built into the connector - and explains the price to a point. However, it DOES NOT output a video signal (the yellow plug). Conclusion - the newer iThings with Lightning connector can still be used for audio but not video with this Nav unit.

The unit provides simple source selection via the touch screen...

P1010287.JPG

Those not available are greyed out. Alternatively, you can select the source using the MODE button on the steering wheel.

The music I have loaded on the USB stick displays album art, song, album and artist information. This is pulled from the ID3 tag of the MP3 file - so you may need to ensure your tracks are labelled properly.

Again, you can use the onscreen touch controls to skip forward and backwards or the steering wheel buttons.

P1010288.JPG

Whether playing music from a USB stick or from an iThing, you can browse your Library by Artist, Album, Playlist etc...

P1010289.JPG

P1010290.JPG

It is quite cumbersome to scroll through alphabetically, using the up and down buttons above, if you have lots of music - there is no quicker way to jump to S than to stab the button on the screen multiple times.

Best to use Playlists or just put it on Shuffle :)

P1010292.JPG

The radio features FM/AM, RDS, Traffic and it also displays Radio Text (if supported by your chosen station) so the song information appears onscreen.

It is easy to switch stations by using the onscreen buttons.

P1010293.JPG

There are limited settings in the tuner part of the unit - just 5 options in all (2 under settings and 3 under settings>advanced)...

P1010294.JPG

P1010295.JPG

Pressing the sound/note symbol hard button brings up the audio options including Bass/Treble, fader and an Equalizer. Unlike the BOSE stereo, there are only 6 speakers - bass/mid and tweeter in each of the doors and 2x tiny little speakers between the seats..

P1010296.JPG

P1010297.JPG

P1010298.JPG

The music is muted in the front door speakers when the guidance voice and other warning sounds are output by TomTom.

Bluetooth handsfree is very good, with my iPhone I can see my full address book, information on my last dialled, missed calls and received calls. The microphone is mounted just to the left of centre on the upper steering column cover. There are reports of rubbish call quality out there, which seems to be a faulty microphone. However, the one in my car is fine.

P1010301.JPG

The navigation part of the unit is standard TomTom, including advanced lane guidance. You can set a home location, favourites, recent destinations etc etc.

The setting for Night Colours is quite useful as the screen is quite big and bright and can be off putting at night - it can be set to dim the screen and invert the map colours - either controlled by headlight switch or using a built-in light sensor.

Finally, to update the maps and nav unit software, you need to remove the SD card - CAUTION DON'T JUST PULL IT OUT, there is a menu option to prepare the SD card for removal. Once it is safe to remove, it can be plugged into a computer or laptop and the included TomTom Home software must be installed.

After installing the Home software, the system checks for map updates, system updates and points of interest, cameras etc.

You can even download an MX5 icon instead of the standard blue arrow :)

P1010299.JPG

I will add more once I get the Mazda cable and take some more pictures :)
Bl0at3r
Current: VW Caddy lol

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#2 AndyMk2

AndyMk2

~

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15498 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Great work, I've added a link to this on my stereos page :)

#3 guitarjon

guitarjon

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10170 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Good, wouldn't mind one myself but not paying the price they cost.  Would be worth looking for a car with one if I was to buy again.

#4 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Great work, I've added a link to this on my stereos page :)

Wow thanks

Good, wouldn't mind one myself but not paying the price they cost.  Would be worth looking for a car with one if I was to buy again.

Agreed they are expensive - probably wouldn't bother with one unless it was already in the car - might have gone for a double din (or even single din and cubby) unit for the iPod/Bluetooth but not bother with the satnav.
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#5 walls

walls

Made a start

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Great post, been looking for more mk3 / 3.5 info....

#6 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Great post, been looking for more mk3 / 3.5 info....

Thanks - I can recommend http://www.roadster-...ch-info_12.html

Full of really useful stuff.
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#7 walls

walls

Made a start

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thanks will take a look - currently have a mk3 and have been looking for stereo upgrade options...

#8 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have now bought the correct Mazda cable as mentioned above (thanks Romford Mazda).

I also bought the Apple Dock to Lightning connector and I can report that it works perfectly.

Charges iThing, iPod appears in the source selection screen, plays songs and displays album art, track info etc.

As stated, it is still cumbersome to browse albums or artists as you have to stab the up/down arrows on screen repeatedly - there is no alphabet search for example.

Out of interest I took the glovebox out, to find that the lead from the headunit to the connectors in the glovebox is actually about 1m long - the spare is cable tied up behind the glovebox itself.

Think I will route the wire down through the centre console if I can as it seems awkward to get in, open glovebox, plug in phone, close glovebox every time. I suppose if you just had an iPod in the glovebox the whole time there wouldn't be that issue.
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#9 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Two updates following a full week of use....

1. The official Mazda cable and Apple Lightning adapter work perfectly for connecting my iPhone 5S and playing music - including a 5 hour round trip.

2. During that 5 hour round trip the tomtom unit performed route re-planning a number of times (due to me liking the look of some interesting B roads) and I have to report that it isn't that slow IMHO despite what others have reported.
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#10 shogun

shogun

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

My main bugbear with this unit? It's sooooooo slow :(

#11 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

My main bugbear with this unit? It's sooooooo slow :(

Which bit? I'm not finding it unusable at all....
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#12 RoofDown

RoofDown

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

I find the volume control very slow and also the omission of a dial/knob to turn the volume up and down makes it very awkward to find on the unit.

#13 cliveju

cliveju

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Looks like Mazda gave up with Bose when they brought this in, probably to keep costs down. The car's wiring harness would be significantly changed by removing the Bose power amp behind the seats.

#14 Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:07 AM

I found this unit to be the worst of any - Mazda changed quickly too - an alpine unit went into the later ones.
Bl0at3r

Previous:
NC2 Miyako PRHT
NC3 Sport Tech PRHT
Mk1 Classic
Mk1 S Eunos
Mk1 RS LTD Eunos

#15 RoofDown

RoofDown

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Looks like Mazda gave up with Bose when they brought this in, probably to keep costs down. The car's wiring harness would be significantly changed by removing the Bose power amp behind the seats.

Any idea what wiring harness these NVA-SD8110 fitted mx-5s need?

#16 Larz2000

Larz2000

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys. I have this sat nav unit and it's doing my nut in. I just want to listen to MP3 via USB, but instead of playing an album in order, it want's to play each song (within an album) by alphabetical order. Anyone any ideas on how to make it read an album from beginning to end? I'm assuming I might need to change the title of the song, but, I tried naming each mp3 song 01 (song title), 02 (song title), 03 (song title) etc and that really just made matters worse - I couldn't even search for the artist!

Please help.

#17 CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

Hi guys. I have this sat nav unit and it's doing my nut in. I just want to listen to MP3 via USB, but instead of playing an album in order, it want's to play each song (within an album) by alphabetical order. Anyone any ideas on how to make it read an album from beginning to end? I'm assuming I might need to change the title of the song, but, I tried naming each mp3 song 01 (song title), 02 (song title), 03 (song title) etc and that really just made matters worse - I couldn't even search for the artist!

Please help.

Might be 12 months too late but if this helps - here is what you were looking for:

First, if you want the albums to be played in track number sequence then when you rip the cd to mp3 you need to have the MP3 tag for the track name begin with the track number (zero filled if 10 or more tracks per album ie 01_Track1, 02_track2 etc) otherwise it plays the tracks in Alphabetical order.

Second, if you want to use Playlists (ie m3u files containing lists of tracks to be played) then you must have no spaces in the file name, if you don't use playlists then spaces in the filename is OK.
As to the structure of the files on the usb stick -

The head unit displays and the Album, Track title etc from the MP3 Tags in each file and not by the stored file / folder sequence on the stick, however, for my own preference I have individual folders per album, including multiple album folders per group

Group1
    Album1
        Track1    (MP3 track name 01_track1)
        Track2    (MP3 track name 02_track2)
        Track3    (MP3 track name 03_track3)...
    Album2
Group2
    Album
Group3
    Album
etc etc

If you already have lots of MP3's without track number, you can use a freeware program called "mp3tag" to rename the track name to include track number - this is pretty easy.

To add the track number to the track title you run mp3tag.exe, open the folder containing the album, check it has track numbers in the details (if not you can add them manually) then select all the tracks and choose
convert tag-tag from the convert menu option.-
and
select Field = TITLE
Format String = $num(%track%,2)_%title%

I think there is a limit of 2000 to the number of tracks ber USB stick.

#18 squidger

squidger

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:55 AM

I have this unit in my 2013 sportnav. My only gripe with it is that I have to select phone management and activate my phone everytime I get in the car or my phone wont work even though I can play music direct from the phone so the bluetooth is paired.

#19 MX5User

MX5User

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

Apologies for bumping this thread but does anyone know if it's possible to activate the L/R RCA's on their own without the need for the iPod harness (and iPod)? Or are they only for use with the harness and an iPod (or iPhone) connected?

Secondly, has anyone managed to connect their Android device via the USB connector?

I've tried to connect my Android 9 phone, setting it to 'File Transfer' within Android but the Nav unit doesn't want to know - USB source stays disabled  :(

#20 Ryanlang09

Ryanlang09

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:08 AM

Late to the party, but how have you managed to play audio via bluetooth? Is it an Iphone or Android?

I have this unit in my 2013 sportnav. My only gripe with it is that I have to select phone management and activate my phone everytime I get in the car or my phone wont work even though I can play music direct from the phone so the bluetooth is paired

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nc, 3.5, 3.75, mk3.75, mk3.5, nc1, nc2, mk3, nav, venture

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users