GSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDrive

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Mgf Vs Mx5?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Trotterdog

Trotterdog

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

After purchasing a MK1 & having great fun in it without developing problems every 5 minutes, this is my answer to the age old argument!! :sarcasm:

Posted Image

Yes, that is a For Sale notice in the window!

Posted Image

:dance:
Goodbye MGF, hello MX5!!!!

#2 S S

S S

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2340 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

God thats a nice r limited.

Please please post more pics of it!!!
1992 NA6CE Eunos Roadster, Black

Official S Spec Thread...S Spec Owners Post your cars hereMX5Nutz S Spec Thread

#3 R3k1355

R3k1355

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Mgf? lol what a piece of shit those cars are.

#4 Trotterdog

Trotterdog

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

God thats a nice r limited.

Please please post more pics of it!!!

There are several in this album (along with some which need deleting)

http://s1161.photobu.../q511/Pcorner1/

Glad you like it! (my first)

#5 stevebloxxy

stevebloxxy

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

MGF: great car on paper. Horrendous in reality. I had a stint selling Rover/Land Rover/MG etc in the mid nineties and the build quality across the board was laughable. We had brand new cars going rusty in the showroom. Every Land Rover had a drip tray placed underneath it when parked in the showroom as they leaked everywhere: again these were brand new cars.
What really brought it home though, was sitting in a two year old car that had covered around 30,000 miles. It looked and felt like it had covered 300,000 miles.
The only redeeming feature of the MGF is that they are quite quick (right up until the head gasket/timing belt goes pop).
Not that I'm biased of course...

Goodwood Sportscars - MX5 Sales in the North East & Scotland.
Current toys: Always a variety of MX5s to play with including my Eunos R-Ltd 1.8 track car plus Porsche Boxster S, VW Golf TDi (remapped to 150bhp) and Mercedes CLK270. 

#6 Betty_Swallocks

Betty_Swallocks

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I had a hose split recently and had to call a very nice man to come and help me and he was saying how rare it was for him to see an MX 5 and how when he did it was always for something like a hose or a belt. Something that'd wear out. "Not like those MGF" he said. "Shocking build quality. Always seeing them with major breakdowns"

#7 Betty_Swallocks

Betty_Swallocks

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

There are several in this album (along with some which need deleting)

http://s1161.photobu.../q511/Pcorner1/

Glad you like it! (my first)

That is a lovely car. You found a good one there by the looks of it.

#8 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7901 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

As a past MGF owner, How many headgaskets per year was you on?

I bought a 9yo 200 to settle this on another forum. It used 3, then I scrapped it. It was the decent thing to do.

edit: I did actually need a car for a couple of months, So it was not purely to proove a point. Just buying the rover and then loaning it out for the rest of the year was.
89 greddy. fmic. emb. Lc-1. rmdp. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM bars. FM rails. 1.8 Brakes. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop.

#9 Trotterdog

Trotterdog

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

I owned this one for 4 years & the head gasket had already been done but I had a tensioner bearing go which obliterated all the valves so a complete top end rebuild was needed. Water pipes corroded, thermostat housing cracked, leaks like sieve BUT the one redeeming feature is it goes like stink in all gears without having to drop down a gear every time. Would easily see off a standard MX5 1.8 on a straight line but is shit on cornering!! For drive quality my Roadster is way better as is the build, I love it!

#10 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

• Members
  • 7901 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

It did pritty well then really, For an mgf. Mine also had the bearing fail, and the leaky pipe they bolt to the block on later models to make the block stronger in a bid to increase head gasket life. Great fix that lol

I assure you your 5 will be much more reliable. Plus it's ready to double it's power with bolt on bits (boost)
89 greddy. fmic. emb. Lc-1. rmdp. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM bars. FM rails. 1.8 Brakes. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop.

#11 stevebloxxy

stevebloxxy

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Add me to the list of people who've had tensioner bearing failure on an MGF. Mine let go at 70mph on the M6. Utterly, utterly destroyed the engine.
I replay that particular event in my mind everytime I see a real cheap one on Ebay and become tempted for a nano-second.

Goodwood Sportscars - MX5 Sales in the North East & Scotland.
Current toys: Always a variety of MX5s to play with including my Eunos R-Ltd 1.8 track car plus Porsche Boxster S, VW Golf TDi (remapped to 150bhp) and Mercedes CLK270. 

#12 guitarjon

guitarjon

• Registered Traders
  • 9203 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Nice 5!

I was a little suprised by a mgf the other day. I was having a bit of a hoon and very quickly got past an mgf on the bendy road. As soon as we both got to the motorway it felt like he had loads more power. I was in my 2.0 mk3 too :S I was quite shocked as its not what I would call a fast car but certainly struggled against the mgf.

What sort of power do they kick out?

Websitebannermk2_zps2c68f6a8.jpg

New car: MK3 2.0 liter sport in sunlight silver. RX8 arbs, Rodders Springs and alignment, RB manifold, IL motorsports backbox, 2nd Cat delete, Cosworth Panel Filter, AP package, lots of little odds and sods.
Last car: Red mk1 JRSC with crank overlay, intercooler, Megasquirt DIY PnP plus more making 7.4 psi and 180bhp!

Now offering Nano Glass Sealant protection from 20 pounds!  Nano canvas roof clean and protection 40 pounds (Nutz offers) Amongst many others.

#13 V6Hughes

V6Hughes

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Another MG F with its roof up!! ;)

#14 RyanT

RyanT

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

IIRC, the most powerful engine is a 1.8 160 bhp, the VVC MGTF.

Certainly made me look at them twice.

#15 Trotterdog

Trotterdog

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Not too sure of the output but the MGF vvc but it is much more rapid through the gears and acceleration is instant when you floor it in any gear. But hey, the 5 is a much better drive & puts a bigger smile on your face!!

#16 TokyoRich

TokyoRich

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I used to have an MGF too.. hated it, what a heap of junk.. I remember changing the stereo and it just felt like the whole thing had been built by blind monkeys..

#17 fitz

fitz

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

HI guy , this is my !st ever post , can also confirm that the MGF is the biggest piece of junk that I have ever owned lost count of the amount of times I called out the AA for break downs , had more rattles than a bucket of bolts , I know own a Mk 2.5 Sport and can't fault it .

#18 Cerberus

Cerberus

<put something clever here>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Another MG F with its roof up!! ;)

I'm tellin ya man they ain't real ;)

Cerbs

P5-Banner_2.png
-- Phoenix Five Meets -- First Wednesday of every month Click Here For Info --
"Whisper - Black 1994 1.8l V Spec"

#19 MG-Nut

MG-Nut

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

As my logon ID might indicate I am biased towards MG's. In it's time the MGB was a great car, totally unsofisticated and therefore reliable and easy to fix. All the MG predecesors were pretty much the same, as a true sportscar should be. Having said that after selling my last of 3 MGB's I bought a 1994 1.8 MX5 I loved every minute of owning this car it was everything a true sports car should be just like MGB's were almost 30 years before the MX5 was released. To me the MX5 was an updated version of an MGB just better as you'd expect with Japanese engineering/build quality and 30 years newer technology. After 2 1/2 years of very reliable cheap and pleasurable fun in the MX5 I sold it and bought a low mileage 1999 MGF VVC because it was cheap and in very good condition. What a huge dissapointment especially for an MG enthusiast, what a complete and utter piece of shit. It performed mildly better than the MX5 being the VVC version and handled well due to it's mid engined layout and I have said on many occasions anybody replacing an MX5 with an MGF will be very pleased with the door handles because MX5's have horrible door handles. But I think even an MG bigot such as myself would have to say that's where the good bits end. The MGF was unreliable drove like a true British built car of the 90's drives (like a piece of shit) and I think it's ugly compared to the MX5. Much to the dismay of all my mates in the local MG car club this is my oppinion. Bit of a shame Rover never did a deal with Mazda and rebadged the MX5 as an MG. The MX5 is the best selling sports car of all time ahead of the MGB but just imagine if it had been marketed as an MG not only would they have sold one to everybody that bought one anyway they would have also sold zillions to all the MG bigots such as myself.

#20 DavesBRG5

DavesBRG5

• Members
  • 8884 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

Amen to that!

I had 3 MGBs back in the day & loved them all. My first 5 was chosen as a modern day replacement due to the crazy cost of restored MGBs nowadays. Plus i knew the 5 would get plenty of use where as a B would probably sit in the garage untill a show or meet came up.

Have to say though that i never for one minute considered an MGF. It just didn`t float my boat & going by the unreliability of the 3 MGFs owned by workmates i think that was a very wise decision.

1992 ROADSTER 1.6 Tanabe Sustec suspension, Cusco bracing, Momo Prototipo steering wheel, Mike Satur TT Hoops, Jass Performance interior bling.

CHECK OUT MY RIDE

ad65.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users