Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Lil Dakar

8K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  Jay. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A quick introduction:

Hey guys - I'm Jay and I study engineering at UWE

I decided to invest some of my Student Finance Loan in to a 'Project' that would hopefully teach me a thing or two about cars, as I am literally learning no real-world use on my course.

This thread is mainly to keep me updated with the stuff I've done, but hopefully also to share the work I do too!

Originally I bought a Red Eunos, but unfortunately due to the increase in insurance premium I had to look elsewhere for a UK model. Whilst owning it I removed the charcoal canister and cleaned up the engine bay - a very satisfying job! It now belongs to my father who has got the '5 bug!

Anyway about the current car:

MK1/NA 1.8 UK Mazda MX-5
"Dakar Edition"

Has 99k miles on the clock and runs extremely well!
Currently lives in Southampton, with the occasional trip to Bristol for the weekend to help me have some time off!

It is currently sitting with the following modifications:
  • Torsen LSD
  • GAZ Adjustable Coilovers
  • T R Lane Roll Bar - GPV Version with Harness Bar
  • No-Cat Custom Stainless Sports Exhaust (which also came with a sports cat and noisy back box)
  • Cobra Monaco Pro Seats
  • TRS 5-Point Racing Harnesses
As it is currently sitting:

I have many plans, but I shall slowly update them as they happen, but for now the current list of things to do are:
  • In-Car Entertainment (currently nothing to play music out of)
  • Replace plastic window for Glass HRW (because glass is better than plastic, right?)
  • Buy a set of track wheels as not to damage the current ones as they are near-mint
  • A massive polish/wax job on the whole car

See less See more
#5 ·
omg i re-read what i sent off my phone earlier..i should really have changed the spelling instead of writing another post..but it bumps this thread up for others to see! lol!
I got to say the only thing which is missing is an oem lip! so get on that sharpish!

#7 ·
Very nice buddy, I attempted to start an S13 200sx project on student finance money. Suffice to say it didn't go so well. Best of luck to you lol! Shouldn't be half as bad with a '5.

That and I was on the minimum loan anyway. Not even a grant lol.

#10 ·
Didn't have a lot of time this weekend but I did have a spare hour to fit my headunit in!

Can't believe I was driving without music, why did I not do this earlier

Very simple to change luckily:

Just took the blanking plate off, pulled some wires through and luckily they went straight into my existing Alpine loom:

Very happy!

#11 ·
A squeak has appeared recently when driving at low speeds - I was worried that this may have been one of the coilovers (which have only just been refurbished) so I had the car up for a good check over:

Turns out that the squeak was the bonnet catch, if only I had checked before messing around getting the car up on stands!

Also; a mysterious package has appeared!

Guesses?

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yay !!! another dakar
yours looks great, mines number 254, wats yours
- Jac
Mine had the interior stripped by the previous owner and didn't come with the number plaque - I am on the search of a way to find out if I can tell a different way

Anyone know?

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
No real updates on the car itself..

Attended Japfest on the weekend, thought it was pretty good!

Also; a new toy arrived through the post which came just in time to distract me from the years final exams..

Several hours of footage has already been shot.. Time which probably would have been best spent doing some studying - Oh well!

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ha, will try my hardest!

Had a pretty busy summer but managed to squeeze in an addition or two!

Side Flares:

Originally bought these for the red car.. but figured I'd try them on the Dakar anyway!

Before

After

I love how they transform the side of the car .. They're quite flimsy which is a bit of a shame, maybe the real Project-G ones are made of a tougher material? I'll try my hardest not to stand on them when I get out of the car..

They trap a lot of water in them which makes them look really messy if not cleaned - I'm hoping a decent wax on them should help that problem? Even if it makes it a tad easier to wash off after a drive..

The result

(Yes, I need more lows
)

#38 ·
Quick update - Haven't posted in a while which is a shame as the car is starting to progress quite well.

Fitted the obvious GV Lip to the front.. No fancy photo's of it unfortunately but here's one of the car sitting outside wearing the new lip:

The car could probably do with a good clean - but university has started and all my spare time is currently going in to moving back up to Bristol (slowly, with only 1 spare seat to carry my stuff up!)

Some more excited updates coming up soon - when I have the time to write/upload!

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
A guy called M@rtin on here! They're replicas (badly) of the Project-G ones..

They're not that great to be honest.. Pretty flimsy and I haven't put decent mounting plates on them so I'm scared one day I'll stand on it and break it off!

I'll be keeping an eye on a set of Project-G official ones to put on if that ever does happen!

Dynamat Sound Proofing the Doors

Only a small update - My doors were resonating with music so I've put some Dynamat in to deaden a bit of the vibrations!

Dynamat is basically some sound deadening material with some glue on the back. Simply stick it to the door - warm it up - and then spread it tight against the door skin! Very easy to do and well worth it IMO.

Before:

Applying a small square of Dynamat around where the speaker will go:

Cutting out the hole to put the speaker in to. (Slightly smaller hole so I could bend the dynamat around the edge of the circumference of the hole)

Added the cut out behind where the speaker sits

Added crappy OEM speakers back in

Put a strip above and below the door brace running the length of the door

Definitely has improved quality!
The door shuts with a better sound.. Feels a lot more solid and less rattly(?)

Also the music sounds so much clearer! I didn't expect to hear a change as the OEM speakers are pretty poor, but there's a definite improvement.

Will be installing some Alpine speakers in as soon as I can find/make an adapter plate (they're currently waiting!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.