Mazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat Europe

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Rust - Another.... Will This Pass The Mot Thread!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seismic22

seismic22

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry to have to ask something thats always getting asked but i do need the advice.

Trying to get my 5 MOT'd and back on the road, getting sick of this FWD M'larkey!

The Offside sill is rusty. My fault. I have slowly let it rust through from outside in. When i first noticed it there was no hole, it had been subject to various scrapes and stone chips and the paint had peeled. Forward to a year later and running it as a daily driver, driving all over the country in the snow (it acted a s asnow plough most the time) on salty roads with none of the undersealing and rust protection I had planned and it now the outer sill section has rusted so bad i peeled a lump away.

Soooo I having been doing some investigating and the inner sill, though (as u can see) is a little corroded, is solid as. Ive prodded and poked it bloody loads and its fine, a clean up with the angle grinder and it should look ok, ive looked inside the sills (taken out the bung etc) and yes i can see very small amount of minor rust very near the rear end of the sill but the rest of the sill is very clean clean. My problem is, are the MOT chappies going to fail me on having an exposed inner sill even though its solid? Of course i am going to get the outer sill plated but I need to get it Mot'd to drive it somewhere to have it welded! I live to far from anywhere to get away with some careful cross fingers touch wood un mot'd and taxed driving roudn the corner to a welder/garage etc!

Please see picture below! Sorry for the essay i guess it shows how guilty i feel for letting it get this bad.! Arches all completely solid, inner and outer, not a spot, other than a small rust hole in bottom of front wing (getting changed!) this is the only rust!

Posted Image

#2 AndyMk2

AndyMk2

100% Nutz

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14381 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

this is the only rust!

Based on what we have seen in the past, that's pretty unlikely to be honest.

These cars rust from the inside out, it's always worse than it looks unfortunately.

Read about Mk3 stuff...
qxq4o4.png

#3 garath

garath

The home of the MX5 Speedster

• Registered Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3310 posts
  • Location:Unit 36, mountney bridge business park, westham, East Sussex, BN24 5NJ

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

That will 100% fail the MOT I'm afraid

Banner_sig.jpg

FOR ALL YOUR MX5 NEEDS FINDS US AT www.themx5restorer.co.uk

Ongoing examples of our work

Follow project Speedster here

Mk2 and Mk2.5 front chassis rail repair sections

MX5-R  Mk1 front wing vent panels

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

MX5-R  Mk2 speedo cowl gauge pods

PROJECT MUX2 - Pirate Black Mk1 former S-special converted to a BBR turbo, 190bhp, 6 speed, LSD, Mk2 Dash and door cards, GAZ Gold Pro Suspension, 1.8 brakes, Raybrig headlights, Front Garage Vary and rear lip spoilers, Vindi Ducktail lip spoiler, Feed Style side skirts, Cusco Roll bar, Electric Mirrors, full clear reflectors, Zoom Chrome Filler cap thingy, - Santa Pod time TBC - Click here

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

#4 IsoMX

IsoMX

finds titles too "mainstream"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Yep.

Insta-fail for sure. Also expect to get it back from the mot station with a fucking great screw driver hole through it. They like doing that...

Mate of mine got a Ka back from MOT looking like swiss cheese when they failed it on rust.

Skuzzlecharged, Jass'd up, MX5Restored, Rodder's padded, 1996 Eunos Roadster, in the 'proper' colour ;)

I used to drive with an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, but then I swapped the devil for a supercharger whine and told the angel to get lost...

Also yes *technically* you could now say my car is wrapped in a giant plasti-dip condom. I prefer to look at it as my car now being multi-functional, it's a means of transportation that now doubles up as a giant pencil eraser!

Disclaimer: If you don't like my humour, just don't laugh. Simple, I won't be offended and would prefer it if you weren't either.

#5 roddisons motorsport

roddisons motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Registered Traders
  • 3820 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yep.

Insta-fail for sure. Also expect to get it back from the mot station with a fucking great screw driver hole through it. They like doing that...

Mate of mine got a Ka back from MOT looking like swiss cheese when they failed it on rust.

Mot testers are NOT allowed to use screwdrivers, we can only use the cat (Corrosion assessment tool)

roddisons2.png

Max5 Race Car no55
Mk1 & Mk3 Race cars built to order.
Road/Race cars for sale.
Race cars for hire.
Max5 championship winner 2010/11/12
Supplier of nankang tyres, meisterR suspension and ROTA wheels

#6 fergyuk

fergyuk

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yep.

Mot testers are NOT allowed to use screwdrivers, we can only use the cat (Corrosion assessment tool)

which looks like a screwdriver on one end Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 IsoMX

IsoMX

finds titles too "mainstream"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yep.

Well regardless of the tool, a ruddy great hole is a ruddy great hole!

Skuzzlecharged, Jass'd up, MX5Restored, Rodder's padded, 1996 Eunos Roadster, in the 'proper' colour ;)

I used to drive with an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, but then I swapped the devil for a supercharger whine and told the angel to get lost...

Also yes *technically* you could now say my car is wrapped in a giant plasti-dip condom. I prefer to look at it as my car now being multi-functional, it's a means of transportation that now doubles up as a giant pencil eraser!

Disclaimer: If you don't like my humour, just don't laugh. Simple, I won't be offended and would prefer it if you weren't either.

#8 seismic22

seismic22

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

OK, if it is believed that this will not pass the mot then am I to assume then that the outer skin of the sill is considered structural?

The inner skin is 100% solid, I myself have poked it with a screw drive pretty hard all over and as mentioned looked inside the sill and it seems to be pretty clean.

Thanks for the replies!

#9 garath

garath

The home of the MX5 Speedster

• Registered Traders
  • 3310 posts
  • Location:Unit 36, mountney bridge business park, westham, East Sussex, BN24 5NJ

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

OK, if it is believed that this will not pass the mot then am I to assume then that the outer skin of the sill is considered structural?

The inner skin is 100% solid, I myself have poked it with a screw drive pretty hard all over and as mentioned looked inside the sill and it seems to be pretty clean.

Thanks for the replies!

you make a good point, and its one that I always make, the outer skin is really a rear wing, it is spot welded on along the bottom edge, the structural sill is behind it, as you say, but, according to the MOT book, they can, and will fail it, because it is considered to be the sill, and to be honest any rust within 300mm of suspension mounts, or seatbelt mounts can be a fail, which could be anywere on an MX5 really, lol

so, long story short, it will fail I'm afraid

Banner_sig.jpg

FOR ALL YOUR MX5 NEEDS FINDS US AT www.themx5restorer.co.uk

Ongoing examples of our work

Follow project Speedster here

Mk2 and Mk2.5 front chassis rail repair sections

MX5-R  Mk1 front wing vent panels

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

MX5-R  Mk2 speedo cowl gauge pods

PROJECT MUX2 - Pirate Black Mk1 former S-special converted to a BBR turbo, 190bhp, 6 speed, LSD, Mk2 Dash and door cards, GAZ Gold Pro Suspension, 1.8 brakes, Raybrig headlights, Front Garage Vary and rear lip spoilers, Vindi Ducktail lip spoiler, Feed Style side skirts, Cusco Roll bar, Electric Mirrors, full clear reflectors, Zoom Chrome Filler cap thingy, - Santa Pod time TBC - Click here

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

#10 judge1979

judge1979

Made a start

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

as for the cat tool the pointed end is only to be used for a lever and light scraping not going hell for leather at rusty sills but it appears everyone does it!

#11 doctormx5

doctormx5

One post wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

It looks like about 150 worth of welding and repainting from this angle. That's for a flush 'invisible' repair. Some people get a plate stuck on top (which ought to be cheaper) but it looks N A S T Y

Julian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users