MX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksRomford MazdaAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie Oils

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Zetec Engine Swaps Into Mx5?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Philk

Philk

Getting there

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi there

I want to do an engine swap in my mx5, the main reason is I want a brand new engine but mx5 ones are expensive where as a b/new ford zetec 2.0 is 800 posted, and it has more power, and because ford/mazda engines are the same (up to certain years) it shud work. I will do it if i could find out about the fitting of the gearbox, does anyone know if it will meet up to the gearbox with no messing?

Many thanks.

#2 Road&ster

Road&ster

Randomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

I got my last Mk1 mx5 engine for 200 + 60 delivery, how is that expensive? And cost wise it's better to add a turbo or SC to the existing Mazda engine.
I think there would be a lot more to think about, not just the gearbox mating up.

Have a read of this thread about the Ford Duratec/Zetec engine and mx5's (Clicky)

#3 H1CKY

H1CKY

Made a start

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

:confused:

#4 ecksjay

ecksjay

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

if you're on about a mk3, it is technically a ford engine yes.

if you're on about mk2 or earlier, an engine is pennies. you obviously havent looked and have took dealer or garage quotes as gospel.

Mk2 Roadster RS Turbo

Mk2 Roadster VS Turbo
Mk2.5 Roadster RS N/A

#5 Palmer

Palmer

Getting there

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

if you're on about a mk3, it is technically a ford engine yes.

if you're on about mk2 or earlier, an engine is pennies. you obviously havent looked and have took dealer or garage quotes as gospel.

Mazda 1.8 dohc - 140bhp
Ford 2.0 Zetec - 130bhp

Says it all really

;)
Posted Image

1996 UK Mk1 1.8

Style bars, momo steering wheel, OZ racing wheels, PAS fitted.

#6 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

I want to do an engine swap in my mx5, the main reason is I want a brand new engine but mx5 ones are expensive where as a b/new ford zetec 2.0 is 800 posted, and it has more power, and because ford/mazda engines are the same (up to certain years) it shud work. I will do it if i could find out about the fitting of the gearbox, does anyone know if it will meet up to the gearbox with no messing?

What model of MX-5 are you trying to put this brand new engine into?

If it's a MK.3 then maybe a Duratec would fit, as Ford use that label on their built-under-license Mazda MZR engines. (AFAIK Ford don't label engines as "Zetec" any more - it's a trim spec they apply to cars).

If it's anything before a Mk.3 then definitely not. The Ford won't bolt up to the Mazda gearbox.

#7 Vindi (Russell)

Vindi (Russell)

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Registered Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,205 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Not sure if anyone else actually read the question, but the OP is after a Brand New engine... and he is correct the Ford engines are much cheaper than their Mazda equivalents.

The swap has been done, but the ones I've seen have done it using a Type 9 gearbox (Ford Sierra) and a custom prop (about 75).

Quite a bit of work involved and for my money I'd go with a Zetec out of an ST170 (5-700 odd for a 20k mile engine and 172bhp standard) or a Duratec 2.0 or 2.3 which are much more powerful and much more tuneable engines than the Zetec... costs are higher though.

Russell.

Ducktail Spoilers for Mk1, Mk2 & Mk2.5,  Fibreglass Ducktail Bootlids for Mk1

Retro Roll Bars for Mk1, Mk2 & Mk2.5

Coming Very Soon - Track Day Roll Bar for Mk1, Mk2 & Mk2.5

http://www.projectem.co.uk/

#8 Philk

Philk

Getting there

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

I know there is a lot more to think about than the gearbox but that is my main concern b4 i even start. FI or supercharge is a gud idea but my car has 95k and what i wud like is full engine gasket set , which is also engine out job.

My car is mk1 1.8

Vindi49 has got it right, the reason why i want this is because i want a b/new engine, a st170 wud be nice but may be over priced. Thanx 4 the comments.

#9 al_p

al_p

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Posted Image

swap like for like wats the point in spending a fortune on a slower engine to be fitted ??

st170 you will need the full loom engine new mounts custom exhaust manifold modified inlet manifold in other words alot of fabrication cost i think about £3000+

a new engine + supercharger on low amount of boost + good ecu would get you more power for under 2k

as for brand new engine you could probably renew all the internals of the std one still for cheaper than putting the st170 engine and fitting
Surely there must be something you can do.
I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!

#10 scubadog86

scubadog86

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Surely their is no way you can even supercharge an mx5 for under 2k let alone engine and ecu????? I am after forced induction and been told and looked a new turbo kit is more like 2.5 k with the cast manifold and matching down pipe and been quoted almost double for a supercharger but if you are lucky enough to find a second hand one then it might be possible,plz if I am wrong send me in the rit direction to purchase supercharger/turbo for sub 2k
Posted Image

#11 Masaq

Masaq

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Depends what you want to make, power-wise. 160-180bhp via a small turbo or m45 charger, not using a standalone ecu, no intercooler and no oil cooler, can certainly be done for under 2k if you source parts carefully. If you want big power and reliable big power at that - yes, you're talking more.

bannersmall.jpg

#12 sausages

sausages

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Surely their is no way you can even supercharge an mx5 for under 2k let alone engine and ecu????? I am after forced induction and been told and looked a new turbo kit is more like 2.5 k with the cast manifold and matching down pipe and been quoted almost double for a supercharger but if you are lucky enough to find a second hand one then it might be possible,plz if I am wrong send me in the rit direction to purchase supercharger/turbo for sub 2k

You are 100% wrong I'm afraid. Look in the for sale section as supercharger / turbocharger kits often come up for a LOT less than a grand.
2003 Toyota Corolla Tsport

#13 Gixer

Gixer

9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

So you want to save a few hundred quid by buying a different more, but then spend 4 figures getting this engine to fit in a MX5

:doh:

As said you'll need engine mounts fabricated, ECU, wiring harness, gear box adaptor (or a different gearbox which will then need, prop shaft, possibly transmission tunnel mods, PPF, maybe even a new diff with a different final drive ratio)

Then there is the sump if you bought the motor in fwd configuration you'd need a custom sump for the MX5.
If your not doing it yourself i'd bet you won't get much change out of £5000 for a company to do the conversion, and for less power as well :doh:

Why do you want a brand new engine?

MX5 motors are pretty much bullet proof, there really is absolutely no need to buy a brand new engine.
I wouldn't even bother reconditioning a half decent 1.8 motor

I can understand if you had experience with zetec motors and wanted to have a play converting a mx5.
But to carry out the swap 100% to save money is crazy.

What's wrong with your current motor btw?
1994 V-Spec II, Auto, MP62 Hotside SC (6rib) 65/125 (10psi), Dual TB, 430cc RX8 Injectors, Zeitronix WB, EGT, MAP etc, XS KnockLite, Water Injection (Devils Own Pump, Aquamist HSV Go-kart tank 8.5L), Aquamist DDS3 V8, Custom IC and pipes, Hard Dog M2 Sport DD, FFS Dual Feed Fuel Rail, Torsen TypeII, Tein Flex, Axxis Ultimate pads, Rota RB 15x8, Toyo T1-R.

Posted Image My car blog

#14 Mr Slow

Mr Slow

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,272 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

You think an engine swap is cheaper?

And don't use txt speak on the forum, you agreed not to when you signed up.

#15 DMRider_10

DMRider_10

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

This is just ridiculous

On my 8th Mx5.......Currently: Mk1 FM2 Turbo In yellow,  Build thread http://www.mx5nutz.c...78#entry1973258

#16 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

This is just ridiculous

Well it's not quite as bad as that, it's just misinformed.

The OP thought that a new Ford engine might bolt straight up to the MX-5 gearbox. Well, no it won't. A conversion to make it fit would cost multiple thousands and he knows that now. He also thought that a complete new gasket set would be advisible before adding FI to his original engine when in fact we know it's unnecessary. 95k miles is nothing on these engines, and they're sufficiently overbuilt that you can bolt on 200+ hp of forced induction with no fear for the internals.

For the OP: my Mk.1 1.8 engine had 120k miles on it when I supercharged it to 180+ hp. It didn't cause any problems and my experience seems to be pretty typical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users