AK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceTrackToysAbsolutely ShocksAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 Parts

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Footwell Sub Box Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bass mekanik

bass mekanik

London town!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Before I even begin the write up on this thread, I have to say a massive thank you to Mulletboy without whom there is not a chance this would have turned out as well as it did. 98% of the work in this thread is down to him and the remaining 2% was me fetching stuff after he asked me "faz would you fetch me the heat gun please? Thank you!" Posted Image

That said, I did mask up the footwells before we began!! :D

some of you might remember this thread:

http://www.mx5nutz.c...showtopic=52722

obviously the challenge was to get it in losing as little legroom as possible, not exactly easy with a 10" sub that requires a 10 Litre box! I went up to mullets place yesterday morning and we got started. wont go into a hugely long write up, am pretty sure the pictures speak volumes. :)

start by masking up the footwell (I should say by this points, we had removed the protection plate over the ECU and ABS computer, as well as the foam underlay under the carpet to gain an extra 2-3" of depth)

Posted Image

next, after a bit of head scractching, pondering and template experimentation, a few of the mdf box panels templated and cut to rough size and hot glued in place. mark applying some bridging compound to strengthen the edges, then fiberglass and matting to begin the back wall moulded structure of the box:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

the shape looks a tad weird at this point, but we took it up behind the glove box to get the box volume needed and slightly away from the transmission tunnel so it could be taken in and out easily. At this point, the bottom of the box was around 4 inches into the footwell from the point the footwell starts angling upwards to rest heels on.

The most important part of the job - tea! :D

Posted Image

more mdf - the top panel working its way under the heating duct:

Posted Image

that was bonded in, bridging compound applied and then wait for the resin to harden. next - box out of the car to see what needed to be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

looking pretty raw at this point! Likely that it may have had some air leaks too! sooooo...

a few layers of matting, resin and the occasional amount of swearing went into the box at this point wihich resulted in this:

Posted Image

inside getting there now!

At this point I didnt pick up the camera for a bit so jumping forward slightly, we get here:

Posted Image

box face cut and tacked into position with sub mounting ring recessed in, in order to flush mount the sub to the face of the box. point which becomes more important later I should mention we had also measured the box depth and volume so we could cut back on the amount of room it would take in the footwell. the bottom lip had nearly 3" removed and was sitting virtually at the point the footwell starts to angle up meaning we gained a lot of of footspace back again. :)

test fitted:

Posted Image

In order to get the sub recessed with the space being so tight, it meant cutting the mounting ring into the edges of the box:

Posted Image

that obviously needed sorting out to seal it. so we did. also did so;me more filling and sanding on the outside of the box for strength/appearnace/sealing

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

test fit again with sub in place and glovebox support bar in. you can see the sub JUST sits under the bar as it needs to

Posted Image

final test fit with the glovebox in:

Posted Image

now obviously this is very open to prying eyes. my original idea was to trim the box in acoustic cloth, but mark had a better idea. :)

mask up the footwell again:

Posted Image

Where did the box go???

Posted Image

some more filler round the edges:

Posted Image

and while that was going on, we also gave the box some guide coat in black:

Posted Image

Mark suggested that I consider a neutrik connector for the box. a good idea really given that the chances are for long journeys the box will be removed if i have a passenger for their comfort. much better than sodding banana plugs and way more reliable. neutrik female connector in place:

Posted Image

back to the fiberglass guru's magic, sub grill mounted into box trim cover and filler moulded, grill bonded from the rear face and fillers around the edges on the front face:

Posted Image

test fitting the cover:

Posted Image

cover back on the workbench sanded down and ready for acoustic carpet trim. (I should mention that both of us agreed not to make the fiberglass perfect as with carpet it doesnt really show up. had this been vinyl or paint obviously would have filled/sanded more than above but there was anough shape there to make it work perfectly with carpet.)

Posted Image

sub box finally fitted with internal wiring and connectors done and filled to ensure no air leakage. sub screwed into place, box in and glovebox back in.

Posted Image

and finally, all done with the trim panel on. at a glance with the window closed, you would be VERY hard pressed to even notice anything there!

Posted Image
Posted Image

I cant begin to describe how happy I am with the final product!!! There is a little bit of loss to legroom but for what its acheived and just how much mark managed to salvage back by being clever with the way the box was deisgned and built, the compromise really is minimal - around 2" at the bottom of the footwell and maybe 4 to 6" at the top.

bit gutted I dnt currently have an amp to power it, but that is next on the list of purchases. Posted ImagePosted Image

Once again big thanks to mullet for building this thing for me!! complete guru when it comes to this stuff!!! Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 MoJo

MoJo

Keyboard Cat FTMFW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

awesome build mate, well done!

will be doing something similar in the future, i suspect probably the same as you! :D

MarkyMark8609, on 12 November 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

this game could grant people the ability to shoot laser beams out of their dicks that cure cancer and people would still be disappointed.

#3 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:47 AM

Very welcome mate. Was a long weekend, but worth it too :D And wow, you're keen posting this late! lol

#4 MoJo

MoJo

Keyboard Cat FTMFW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

lol i know, had just finished a 3 hour stint on forgotten hope 2, needed to calm down after the shooting frenzy ;)

out of intrest..how much was the inphase sub you used?

this game could grant people the ability to shoot laser beams out of their dicks that cure cancer and people would still be disappointed.

#5 bass mekanik

bass mekanik

London town!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Mojo, its not an Inphase, its a Phase Evolution. completely different company and much higher end stuff than in phase.

They are discontinued now but at the time they were out the 10 was about £450, the 12 about £500 and I seem to recall they did a 15" version which was mental money - around the £700 mark I think (could be wrong though)

anyway, I picked up the 10" from a guy who had a brand new one in a box sat on a shelf for a good number of years. paid £190 for it Posted Image

#6 MoJo

MoJo

Keyboard Cat FTMFW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

sorry bout that :blush: i could just make out the 'phase' in the pic, brain said 'that my be inphase then' :rolleyes:

really need to wear my glasses more :lol:

#7 StarletRick

StarletRick

Tea of the Sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

that looks really really tidy, can hardly see it from outside the car!

is this not a bit uncomfy for passengers? unless you only drive children/midgets around? (which is a different story i suppose...)
Posted Image
-----------------tctuning.net-----------------

#8 bass mekanik

bass mekanik

London town!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

well to be fair I dont carry passengers that often and I actually have a ford galaxy as my second car so i have a practical motor if i want to ferry people around in. for long distance journeys in this with a passenger I would probably be inclined to remove the box if the passenger was had long legs, but for short term local driving, there is more than enough room. :)

in audio terms this should be properly awesome and is by far and away the best solution for the 5 though. a properly rock hard airtight enclosure without pointlessly vibrating the hell out of the bootlid and getting no bass in the cabin. in theory integrating this into the front stage should be much easier than a sub in the boot (say) in a hatch back as well, as the bass is already upfront in position. its a good thing too as when we looked at what the box response should be with this sub, it probably wont drop that low and will be relatively punchy (best enclosure size i seem to recall was 14litres with 10litres being the minimum)

having a hunt for amplification at the moment. fingers crossed i may have something in the pipeline ;)

#9 Gary H

Gary H

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

Awesome job!
I'm doing a similar project at the moment - but with a CDT Audio ES6+ 6.5" Driver in a 5 litre box!! I've been told it'll be epic for the size, but I'll have to wait and see. And with a driver that size, it'll be built into the corner rather than the footwell, so legroom isn't compromised.

The other idea I had (if the seat had been a little higher) was something I did 15 years (!) ago - 2 x 6.5's in a ported wedge-shaped enclosure sitting under your passengers knees....that might work in a 5
The Hairdressers cars have gone and made way for the perfect family Car...

#10 SubZero

SubZero

SubZero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

good work, looks OEM now!
One of a kind in Ireland 93' Mk1 1.8 Black Roadster,Tan hood,Mazdaspeed Racing Roll Bar and Zaust,Lotus Elise Seats,Bilstein Shocks,Rota Cups,Shift Extender,K&N Induction,JDM Braced Brake Cylinder,Bonnet lifters,AC Cobra Style rear view mirror,RB styleeee front bumper,MAJOR POWER UPGRADE TO COME!

#11 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Awesome job!
I'm doing a similar project at the moment - but with a CDT Audio ES6+ 6.5" Driver in a 5 litre box!! I've been told it'll be epic for the size, but I'll have to wait and see. And with a driver that size, it'll be built into the corner rather than the footwell, so legroom isn't compromised.

The other idea I had (if the seat had been a little higher) was something I did 15 years (!) ago - 2 x 6.5's in a ported wedge-shaped enclosure sitting under your passengers knees....that might work in a 5

Missed your reply before, Gary. Yes, the CDT should be very good. I'd like to take a listen when you're done if that's possible? I'm currently edging towards a pair of 6.5's for mine, hopefully hidden up behind the glovebox so that no legroom will be used.

I heard a nice wedge shaped box setup a few years ago (firing the subs at the windscreen).. worked great from a sound perspective, but didn't exactly look OEM :)

#12 MX5_DOM

MX5_DOM

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Looks fantastic! :goodjob:

I was eagerly awaiting the results of this build :worship:

Various parts for sale: mk1 and mk2/2.5 in Kent click --> here

#13 Gary H

Gary H

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

No problems - should have it finished next week. 2 x Infinity Kappa 4's in the dash tops, 2 Infinity Kappas in the doors (in enclosed, sealed boxes), with 50W rms up each and the CDT getting 150.

Aha! I found some pictures of the BMW build - just checked the date: 1995...quite feasable that a lot of people on here weren't at school, never mind driving! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A pair of 5" drivers in a smaller box in a 5 should rock...

#14 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

Now *that* is a stunning trimming job. Professionally done, or DIY (or both)?

Clamshell isobaric too - flavour of the decade back then, and I'm thinking about bringing it back in the 5 :D

#15 Gary H

Gary H

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

The Leather was left to a professional trimmer.

Can you spot the WaveGuide?!!

#16 MX5_DOM

MX5_DOM

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Where did you mount your amp? and how big is it? (dimensions and power)

Various parts for sale: mk1 and mk2/2.5 in Kent click --> here

#17 Kricke

Kricke

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

This is so epic! Great work and innovation guys. :goodjob:

#18 bass mekanik

bass mekanik

London town!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Where did you mount your amp? and how big is it? (dimensions and power)

well I had an audio system twister which was about 1000 watts RMS which decided to die on me, so that has now been replaced with an old school rockford fosgate 800a2. birth sheet on that shows 1164 watts RMS. a 4 channel with the front two channels running diamond audio 6 series 5x7 components in the doors and the rear two channels bridged to run the subwoofer.

the amp and both crossovers for the components are mounted in the boot. boot floor has been traced in 6mm ply and a mk2 vinyl boot lining with the roadster logo has been bonded to it. the amp and crossovers sit on top of this. difficult to describe at the moment but will be doing a big update post soon (boot pictures, custom dials, body kit, exhaust etc) all in one hit. will be in members rides and will have pics of the install too

This is so epic! Great work and innovation guys. :goodjob:

ta mate. :)

#19 CJ10MAX

CJ10MAX

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Nice install. My Celica spare wheel is a full size alloy mounted face down so I built a round box and dropped an 8" sub inside the wheel. Sounds great

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 fr3n2y

fr3n2y

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

The start of my attempt....

Posted Image