Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

4 Years In The Making And Still Going

63K views 410 replies 112 participants last post by  bally3 
#1 ·
I thought it was about time I jumped on the members rides band wagon and show you my MX through the years since I have had her.

The only reason I bought an MX5 was because I needed a cheap run about weeks before christmas as I had just written off my beloved show winning mini

I only planned to own it for a few months and then sell it on, but before I knew it I started to fettle and I fell in love as we all have.

Over 4 years later and she's still here and going nowhere.

I apologise now for a few poor quality photos and a few bad mods along the way

I'll let the pictures do the talking

December 2005

Early 2006

In December 2007 I bought myself a MINI Cooper S for my daily drive and BMW were only going to give me ?500 PX.

Considering I had just spent ?500 on a new roof I wasn't prepared to let her go, so ashamedly the MX got neglected for 6 months and didn't move.

So it was time to either sell or keep and I decided to keep.

So in early 2008 and I sent her off to DandyCars in Ilford for a full respray and sills repaired (Take my advice and AVOID Dandycars, bunch of cowboys)

Anyway she came back looking like this complete with new wheels

Christmas 2008

Mummy and Daddy bought me this

Rolling road day at Surrey Rolling Road with VXROnline.co.uk

Then that brings us to the present day.......

I had gone off the look of my MX, especially the BGW lol

I wanted a smoother look and do away with the fog lights and mud gaurds.

So I bought a S/H rear bumper with no holes off the bay

Rear lip spoiler of off Kirsty (TheDinkyToy) Big thank you
I have since stripped it back and resprayed black.

Another big thank you to Dave off of here for selling me his Ducktail spoiler when he didn't have to.

She is currently in Colchester, Essex having the rear sprayed and badge holes smoothed.

A couple of pictures the guys sent me yesterday

I hope you have enjoyed looking at the pictures and having a giggle. I'll update it as soon as I get it back from the body shop

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought it was about time I jumped on the members rides band wagon and show you my MX through the years since I have had her.

The only reason I bought an MX5 was because I needed a cheap run about weeks before christmas as I had just written off my beloved show winning mini

I only planned to own it for a few months and then sell it on, but before I knew it I started to fettle and I fell in love as we all have.

Over 4 years later and she's still here and going nowhere.

I apologise now for a few poor quality photos and a few bad mods along the way

December 2005

Early 2006

In December 2007 I bought myself a MINI Cooper S for my daily drive and BMW were only going to give me £500 PX.

Considering I had just spent £500 on a new roof I wasn't prepared to let her go, so ashamedly the MX got neglected for 6 months and didn't move.

So it was time to either sell or keep and I decided to keep.

So in early 2008 and I sent her off to DandyCars in Ilford for a full respray and sills repaired (Take my advice and AVOID Dandycars, bunch of cowboys)

Anyway she came back looking like this complete with new wheels

Christmas 2008

Mummy and Daddy bought me this

Rolling road day at Surrey Rolling Road with VXROnline.co.uk

Then that brings us to the present day.......

I had gone off the look of my MX, especially the BGW lol

I wanted a smoother look and do away with the fog lights and mud gaurds.

So I bought a S/H rear bumper with no holes off the bay

Rear lip spoiler of off Kirsty (TheDinkyToy) Big thank you
I have since stripped it back and resprayed black.

Another big thank you to Dave off of here for selling me his Ducktail spoiler when he didn't have to.

She is currently in Colchester, Essex having the rear sprayed and badge holes smoothed.

A couple of pictures the guys sent me yesterday

I hope you have enjoyed looking at the pictures and having a giggle. I'll update it as soon as I get it back from the body shop
looks great ..lovely looking 5 ..will look great when back together ...job very very well done

#12 ·
Nice to see my old duck tail spoiler getting sorted. That was another part I should have kept!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUICK UPDATE:

I got the MX back on saturday and overall I am really pleased. The colour match is perfect, but me being a perfectionist I'm only 99% happy with the finished result, so it has to go back up to Colchester this weekend to have a couple of things sorted out

On Sunday I fitted my lower lip spoiler (Thanks again Kirsty) that I sprayed myself and I'm rather chuffed with the finish.

Just a couple of quick snaps I took for you all to see, sorry its dirty but I'm not allowed to clean it yet the paintman said

Enjoy

#22 ·
***UPDATE***

As some of you may know I have been after the "East Coast" mirror that James (Madabout) was selling at the begining of the year.
Unfortunately I missed out to Gareth (Hooligan) and then again to Aiden (Felix)

BUT, it is now finally in my possession

On closer inspection it is clearly not an East Coast mirror and indeed a home brew of some kind. The brackets are very well made but rather crudely finished and not up to my standards.
So I spent nearly two hours hand polishing them with wet & dry from 800 - 3000, topped off with some rubbing compound and Autosol.
I was quite chuffed when I had finished because I have never polished metal before.

So before I go to work this morning I fitted this lot. Including my lucky cat to look after me

A big thanks to Aiden (Felix) for PM'ing me first about the mirror and to Ron (Tattoo-Ron) for sorting me out the wiper plug and bolt, cheers guys

#27 ·
**UPDATE**

Well I got the MX back this week from the body shop for the second time ( 4 weeks away in total
) and I'm still not happy with the finish

After spnding nearly ?150 in petrol paying for two cars all the time traveling to and from Colchester, I have now washed my hands of that body shop and
I'm going to have the bootlid redone localy at some point, so that is more money wasted

But I am happy with the overall look so not all is lost....

Here are just a few snaps after a quick wash this morning. The sun and the clouds were playing havoc with my lighting lol

Enjoy

#28 ·
Far to clean though

Pat...

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
**UPDATE**

Before I put the MX to bed for the winter last year, I sold my entire sound system to a friend at work. Plus my CD player had decided to swallow my CD and not give it back.

So I decided to rebuild my system, but my days of expensive ice is over and I headed straight for ebay

S/H Kenwood for £35, plug and play as my last headunit was a Kenny.

Juice components £40

Kicker 2ch amp £50

Sorted

I fitted this little lot today, and I was out there nearly 7 hours
Either I work slow or I'm too much of a perfectionist lol

This is what I found in my new headunit

And this is what happened to my last after it decided to eat my CD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.