Opie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksRomford MazdaAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons Motorsport

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Running Rich

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bradman

Bradman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

My car is running way too rich and costing me a fortune in fuel. I've got a his induction kit, and a 1.6 mk1, how can I get around this issue?

Thanks in advance.

#2 garath

garath

The home of the MX5 Speedster

• Registered Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • Location:Unit 36, mountney bridge business park, westham, East Sussex, BN24 5NJ

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Does it have an FSE boost valve thing fitted? if so, get a standard fuel pressure regulator and throw that thing away :)

if not, check for fault codes, and suspect the o2 sensor

Banner_sig.jpg

FOR ALL YOUR MX5 NEEDS FINDS US AT www.themx5restorer.co.uk

Ongoing examples of our work

Follow project Speedster here

Mk2 and Mk2.5 front chassis rail repair sections

MX5-R  Mk1 front wing vent panels

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

MX5-R  Mk2 speedo cowl gauge pods

PROJECT MUX2 - Pirate Black Mk1 former S-special converted to a BBR turbo, 190bhp, 6 speed, LSD, Mk2 Dash and door cards, GAZ Gold Pro Suspension, 1.8 brakes, Raybrig headlights, Front Garage Vary and rear lip spoilers, Vindi Ducktail lip spoiler, Feed Style side skirts, Cusco Roll bar, Electric Mirrors, full clear reflectors, Zoom Chrome Filler cap thingy, - Santa Pod time TBC - Click here

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

#3 Bradman

Bradman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

I've no idea what that is so I'm assuming I don't have one. I'll get the codes checked.

#4 Bradman

Bradman

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Do I have to adjust the spring in any way on the afm? I think I read something about that somewhere.

#5 garath

garath

• Registered Traders
  • 3,310 posts
  • Location:Unit 36, mountney bridge business park, westham, East Sussex, BN24 5NJ

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

I doubt you have a screw on it, I know I dont

Banner_sig.jpg

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

PROJECT MUX2 - Pirate Black Mk1 former S-special converted to a BBR turbo, 190bhp, 6 speed, LSD, Mk2 Dash and door cards, GAZ Gold Pro Suspension, 1.8 brakes, Raybrig headlights, Front Garage Vary and rear lip spoilers, Vindi Ducktail lip spoiler, Feed Style side skirts, Cusco Roll bar, Electric Mirrors, full clear reflectors, Zoom Chrome Filler cap thingy, - Santa Pod time TBC - Click here

#6 Gixer

Gixer

9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

As you said already, check your codes.

Unfortunately 5's run rich as bollox and sup fuel like it's free, but if the O2's sensors bollox'd it'll be even worse.

What timing you running?
Might be worth bumping it up to 14 BTDC, might make a very very slight difference.

If the O2 sensors ok, only other thing you can do is to fit a piggyback or Standalone ECU and retune the car so it's a little leaner.
Pretty much everyone that's fitted a SC/urbo together with a Piggyback/Standalone has found that even though they're booting it more and have the tubby/SC they're still getting better MPG than stock.

No idea on the MAF/AFM as mines a 1.8 though sorry.

Cheers
Mark
1994 V-Spec II, Auto, MP62 Hotside SC (6rib) 65/125 (10psi), Dual TB, 430cc RX8 Injectors, Zeitronix WB, EGT, MAP etc, XS KnockLite, Water Injection (Devils Own Pump, Aquamist HSV Go-kart tank 8.5L), Aquamist DDS3 V8, Custom IC and pipes, Hard Dog M2 Sport DD, FFS Dual Feed Fuel Rail, Torsen TypeII, Tein Flex, Axxis Ultimate pads, Rota RB 15x8, Toyo T1-R.

Posted Image My car blog

#7 garath

garath

• Registered Traders
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

an MX5 should go through the MOT without a problem (with regards to emissions)

so, you don't need to go down the piggy back ecu route as suggested above, just find what the problem is, its going to be a case of elimination I'm afraid.

Banner_sig.jpg

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

#8 Gixer

Gixer

• Members
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

an MX5 should go through the MOT without a problem (with regards to emissions)

so, you don't need to go down the piggy back ecu route as suggested above, just find what the problem is, its going to be a case of elimination I'm afraid.

:confused:

Who said anything about MOT's?

With everything working 100% correctly STILL MX5's run pig rich.

I suggested he check the codes, if everything is ok and it's still running rich, then the only course of action is to tune the ECU.
As this cannot be done effectively to a stock ECU, a Piggyback or standalone would do the job.
1994 V-Spec II, Auto, MP62 Hotside SC (6rib) 65/125 (10psi), Dual TB, 430cc RX8 Injectors, Zeitronix WB, EGT, MAP etc, XS KnockLite, Water Injection (Devils Own Pump, Aquamist HSV Go-kart tank 8.5L), Aquamist DDS3 V8, Custom IC and pipes, Hard Dog M2 Sport DD, FFS Dual Feed Fuel Rail, Torsen TypeII, Tein Flex, Axxis Ultimate pads, Rota RB 15x8, Toyo T1-R.

Posted Image My car blog

#9 garath

garath

• Registered Traders
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

One assumes that the MOT is the problem.

I'm not going to argue with you Gixer, I can't be bothered

Banner_sig.jpg

MX5-R  Mk1 Front canards

#10 Gixer

Gixer

• Members
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

One assumes that the MOT is the problem.

I'm not going to argue with you Gixer, I can't be bothered

:confused:

All joking and sarcasm aside, you alright mate?

I've not argued, i simply stated my reasoning behind my advice and no one mentioned MOT's.
You've given him good advice and was the only person to help, i just thought i'd add to that.

Posted Image My car blog

#11 Road&ster

Road&ster

Randomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Bradman, what do you mean by "running too rich & costing you a fortune in fuel"??

As already mentioned the mk1 does run pretty rich as standard ( it was designed in the 80's when emissions targets and fuel consumption were not so much of an issue as they are today) , have you actually worked out your average mpg? if so, what is it?

Again, as already suggested, it would be worthwhile checking the fault codes if you can, and checking out the oxygen/lambda sensor as a possible cause.
Also, have a good look over the fuel lines & fuel rail, make sure you don't have a fuel leak anywhere, same goes for the petrol tank.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest really. Work out your mpg and get back to us :thumb-up:

#12 CRAIGO

CRAIGO

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

I've done some testing with my set-up (see siggy below) and the NB ECU richens the idle to an AFR of ~9:1 WITHOUT a valid narrowband o2 sensor signal. Imagine what it's like at higher RPM.

Try your o2 sensor over anything imo.
1998 Mk2 1.8iS
Stand-alone MS2-Enhanced, MP62 (6-rib)@7psi, P5 DTB kit, RX8 425cc injectors, MOCAL oil temp/filter re-location, TDR FMIC, TDR blanket, LC-1, FM exhaust, Koni sports, front/rear strut tower bracing.

Posted Image

#13 RobLyon

RobLyon

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

What jimbob said + check your brakes aren't binding :)
Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users