Blink Motorsport/tdr Mk3/3.5 Nc Turbo - Dyno Results - Forced Induction & N/A Power Mods - MX5Nutz Forum

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Blink Motorsport/tdr Mk3/3.5 Nc Turbo - Dyno Results

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

Well, after what seems like ages bedding in the new clutch and fully mapping the car we managed to end the week by putting our MK3.5 Turbo NC on the dyno.

For those that haven't been following our demonstrator thread in the 'Members Rides' section (http://www.mx5nutz.c...opic=188537&hl=), here is the full Specification of the engine/components installed on the car that are relevant:

Engine:

Standard 2.0L MZR Engine (Turbo Kit can be fitted to a 2.5L Engine as well)

TDR Force 2 Turbo kit which includes the following:

Stainless V band connections throughout (there are no bolts or nuts to work loose with heat)

Garrett T28 Motorsport Turbo

Tial Stainless 0.86 Housing (http://www.tialsport...urbine-housings)

Tial MVS External Wastegate (http://www.tialsport...tegates/62-mvsx)

Tial Q or QR Blow Off Valve (http://www.tialsport...l-products/bovs)

Injector Dynamics 1000cc Fuel Injectors (http://injectordynam...jectors/id1000/)

3.5 inch MAF sensor Housing

Manual boost controller - boost is fully adjustable by the user from 6psi to 18psi

Stainless Down Pipe and Manifold

Lifetime warranty on Manifold **** ( Manifold will require inspection at 30K intervals - this involves the removal and crack testing of the item; just like a cambelt service! - cost is expected to be £150 + vat for this service)

Full ECU re-calibration - this is NOT just a re-map/flash but a full custom re-write of the Mazda control module allowing the variable boost without expensive re-maps for different stages of tune.

High Efficiency front mounted intercooler

Aeroquip fittings used throughout

This is the full Tuning Done Right kit from the USA that has been developed with Jay for the UK market; the feature we really think is a huge selling point over our competitors is the adjustable boost pressure - there is no requirement for expensive re-maps for different boost levels, the one tune does all of them!

Our engine is completely standard and there is currently a boost cut enabled at 14psi - the car will not run above this boost level. A fully forged engine could release up to 18psi!

Components_zpsell8j4ar.jpg

So, how did the car perform?

The below dyno plot shows the turbo car with the boost 'wound fully off' and running at wastegate pressure of 9psi (we can reduce this for customers by running a different external wastegate spring; the Tial External wastegate comes with several different springs in the kit)

9psi%20Run_zpsnrxfa865.jpg

Quite simply we were shocked by how good the dyno plot was!  

The lines on the Dyno plot indicate:

(1) BLue = Power @ Hubs

(2) Green = Torque @ Hubs

(3) Orange = Boost Pressure.

It must be noted that these measurements are taken at the Hubs of the vehicle (will always be lower than a wheel figure on a roller dyno) and to convert them into a flywheel figure you would expect to see on a conservative roller dyno we multiply the Hub power figure by 1.3 & the torque figure by 1.18.

The estimated flywheel figures for this are:

292 BHP @ 6,000rpm

270 ft/lbs @ 4,000rpm

What was even better news was how the car produced these figures - spool was incredibly good with full boost from almost 3,500rpm and peak torque @ 4,000rpm with the torque curve showing a great spread across the rpm range  of the engine.

Remember - this is the car operating at it's lowest level! Runing the boost at this level makes the car feel like a very powerful NA car and is 'very sweet' to drive.

Here is a dyno plot comparing the car to how it was as standard so the increase in performance can be seen, the standard car is the dotted line and produces a peak Hub HP figure of 120 HP:

9psi%20Vs%20Standard_zpsl3yx5ipd.jpg

Moving on..................

We turned the boost level up to the maximum the clutch would stand before it started to slip, and quite frankly, the results are extremely impressive!

Here is the Dyno Plot at circa 12psi:

12psi%20Run_zpsv2chgeyi.jpg

That is a Hub HP figure of 258hp and a torque figure of 259 ft/lbs!!

This equates to flywheel figures of:

Power = 335 bhp @ 6,000rpm

Torque = 304 ft/lbs @ 4,500rpm

..........but just look at how flat that torque curve is between 3,500rpm & 5,000rpm  :thumb-up:

I have been using the car as a daily driver for the last 3 weeks and if I'm honest I find the car a bit 'brutal' at this level - I am not the most skilful driver in the world and I am frightened to use full throttle at 12psi of boost; yes the traction control helps etc but it is insanely quick and you certainly feel you a driving an extreme performance vehicle.

Richard, on the other hand keeps laughing at this level of power and states 'we've still got another 6psi of boost to try - lets forge an engine; Graham also loves it (maybe they just want me as a quivering wreck every time I go into BLiNK?).

Again, here is the Dyno Plot at 12psi compared to the standard car:

12psi%20Vs%20Standard_zpsmvvtyawn.jpg

The last Dyno Plot shows the 9psi run in comparison to the 12psi run:

12psi%20Vs%209psi_zpsq7ea4xvo.jpg

We would like to take this oportunity to thank Jay @ Tuning Done Right for developing this UK Spec. kit with us and providing an absolutely fantastic turbo conversion using the highest quality parts available on the market and an outstanding ECU re-callibration; we think the results speak for themselves.

We can offer the various kits supplied by TDR and we are just in the final stages of pricing with Jay.

HTH

#2 WolvesWill

WolvesWill

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1443 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Imagine with high boost thats pretty lively :P

Good power that, is this with the racing beat midpipe and backbox too? :)

2008 NC 2.0 Sport - AKA Trigger's Broom (Now sold)

#3 Niklas

Niklas

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

258 whp is impressive. You should only quote that. The conversion ratios, as you know, only raises questions. 

But 258 whp on 12 psi on an unopened engine, great work! 

(that said, the dynapac is known to show whp closer to mustang than to dynojet i.e. lower, but still).

Black Mk2 Turbo I used to have a huge build thread. 

#4 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

258 whp is impressive. You should only quote that. The conversion ratios, as you know, only raises questions.
But 258 whp on 12 psi on an unopened engine, great work!

(that said, the dynapac is known to show whp closer to mustang than to dynojet i.e. lower, but still).

Hi Niklas, firstly thanks for the very kind comments regarding the results, they are appreciated :thumb-up:  - this is why we have put the comparison with the car as standard so people can actually see the massive increase in performance - trying to help people understand hub dyno's isn't easy.

(BTW wheel horse power is never comparable to Hub horsepower: wheel horse power gives a higher reading than hub horse power and should never be used unless the Dyno has no other output)

#5 Niklas

Niklas

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:04 AM

Blink >> of course, it's a great result :) 

Considering hub though, there is a wealth of information comparing them to dynojets, mustangs etc. and there is pretty consistent results. 

It reads lower than dynojet, about the same as mustangs and other loaded dynos and used to have an initial over reading at the start of the pull. 

But that is derailing and I'm sorry about that. The comparison is great, more than doubling the whp is, well, fun. (I know something about how that drives)

:thumb-up:  :driving:

Black Mk2 Turbo I used to have a huge build thread. 

#6 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Blink >> of course, it's a great result :)

Considering hub though, there is a wealth of information comparing them to dynojets, mustangs etc. and there is pretty consistent results. 

It reads lower than dynojet, about the same as mustangs and other loaded dynos and used to have an initial over reading at the start of the pull. 

But that is derailing and I'm sorry about that. The comparison is great, more than doubling the whp is, well, fun. (I know something about how that drives)

:thumb-up:  :driving:

:thumb-up:  :dance:

#7 snotrag

snotrag

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

That looks brilliant. Having just been doing some boost tuning in my mk1, I have a question.

You said it's a bit of an animal - not surprising with that massive slug of torque coming in over about 700rpm.

Some better control of the boost would make it much more linear - are you using anything other than changing the springs on the wastegate? I'm finding it much better to run quite a 'light' wastegate but using boost control to tune the feel of the car.

Just a thought though - I'm sure this won't be cheap but I bet it's flipping brilliant to drive.
What, you have no boost? That must suck.

#8 Cutterbuck

Cutterbuck

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

any idea of when you will have a pricing model?

#9 Marlowe

Marlowe

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

Interesting I've looked at the Force 2 and followed Jay's input a lot over on Miata.net. Didn't realise he had any one offering the Force 2 kit in the UK. It'll be interesting to see how expensive the kit works out at compared to the US pricing. :)

2010 2.0 Sport Tech RC True Red. Dynotronics ECUTEK Tuned Phantom Electronic Supercharger (205bhp alleged but not dynoed yet), Racing Beat Manifold & Openflash, Roddison Pads, Nankang NS2-R, Deflector-mounted Mobius Action Cam & Cravenspeed Stubby Aerial & Autodim Mirror

#10 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

That looks brilliant. Having just been doing some boost tuning in my mk1, I have a question.

You said it's a bit of an animal - not surprising with that massive slug of torque coming in over about 700rpm.

Some better control of the boost would make it much more linear - are you using anything other than changing the springs on the wastegate? I'm finding it much better to run quite a 'light' wastegate but using boost control to tune the feel of the car.

Just a thought though - I'm sure this won't be cheap but I bet it's flipping brilliant to drive.

Hi Simon,

probably didn't explain this very well in the initial post so I'll try again  :thumb-up:

The MINIMUM boost is controlled by the external Tial wastegate spring and there are several in the kit; the customer can choose the minimum they wish to run, down to 6psi.

There is also a manual boost controller so you have a further range of adjustment without changing the waste gate spring.

The kit fitted to the car has the 9psi spring and to get the car to run higher we have just turned the knob on the manual boost controller.

I find the power delivery 'brutal' at 12psi but I am a crap driver!! The weather conditions are cold and damp and the car is currently on 'cast off' Nankang NS2R which I really don't like anyway - there is also no grip on the roads at present.

Richard, on the other hand loves the higher setting as does Graham, Richard is a pretty decent race driver and Graham is a drift boy who just spends his life looking out of the side windows instead of the windscreen (idiot!) - they have far more talent than me!

(Note to Richard & Graham - please turn down the boost control after you have used the car - I'm fed up of doing it myself  :baseballbat: )

This is the big advantage of the TDR kit - the boost is fully adjustable with the 'turn of a knob' to suit mood, conditions or ability; there is no need for re-maps or waste gate spring adjustment.

HTH

#11 Don

Don

Early Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3324 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

I think this looks like a fantastic bit of kit!  Very impressive performance figures from a solid package.  Well done  :thumb-up:

#12 Andy-H

Andy-H

was b0builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6483 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Fraser I wonder if they leave it turned up on purpose lol

Black mk3 2.0 coupe (sneezy)

Ohlins

blink power package

superpro bushes all round

powder coated front and rear subframes

royal steering wheel

android head unit with isc 570 focal speakers 

oz Alleggerita HLT with Michelin pilot 4's 

#13 glee

glee

One post wonder

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi new member here just subscribing to the thread and eagerly awaiting news of a price for your kit. I've been doing quite a bit of research since I'm new to mx5s and I assume a post Oct 08 2.0 I.e mk3.5 is the best base car to get for the improved valve gear and crank?

#14 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Hi new member here just subscribing to the thread and eagerly awaiting news of a price for your kit. I've been doing quite a bit of research since I'm new to mx5s and I assume a post Oct 08 2.0 I.e mk3.5 is the best base car to get for the improved valve gear and crank?

The price for a drive in drive out instalation is very similar to a competitors; rather than post prices on the internet we would much rather people pay us a visit so they can experience the car in person and select from various options, there have bben a couple of people that have had test rides and their views are here (taken from our demonstratore thread):

Had a passenger ride in this turbo car today, it really is a fantastic car, felt planted on the road but still comfortable and not too harsh. Sounded like a stock nc almost until Richard gave it a bit of welly, then I was pinned to my seat.
I have some saving to do. 

Gets on well this does!  :thumb-up:

Suspension is lovely on the road, rides as well as my barge whilst no doubt having fantastic track ability.

Link to full thread:

http://www.mx5nutz.c...c=188537&page=1

HTH

#15 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • 9608 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:42 AM

This thread, where I came from and where it takes me, Offer no £ signs.

I'm the third to ask. Third time lucky perhaps?

89 Greddy. FMIC. EMB. LC-1. Gauge linearisation. Walbro+Relay. Racing Mazda ceramic downpipe with split mod. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM adjustable roll bars. FM rails. HD engine mounts. 1.8 Brakes with m/c brace. Later gearbox. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop. Sunglasses holder, footwell lights.

#16 Hampshire mx5

Hampshire mx5

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

I've seen the price mentioned somewhere, followed by people saying 'what, that's a lot'

#17 BLiNK Motorsport

BLiNK Motorsport

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

I've seen the price mentioned somewhere, followed by people saying 'what, that's a lot'

The kit is the TDR kit with some modifications for the UK market. Price is dependent on exchange rate variation but an idea of prices can be found here:

http://www.tdr-mx5tu...r-announcement/

We can supply and fit any of the TDR turbo packages.

We personally do not feel this is expensive for the quality of components used.

HTH

#18 witko999

witko999

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:29 AM

What are the flywheel power/torque figures for the standard 2L engine (I presume 170bhp/140 lbs/ft)?  It seems you have more than a 100% increase at less than 1 bar boost pressure.  Are the conversion figures correct?  Or are there some other mods releasing further torque, eg. the remap?

#19 mk1sam!

mk1sam!

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • 6256 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

Standard 2.0 nc's are 158hp and 188nm

CURRENT CAR'S: 2006 mx5 mk3 2.0 Sport Track Toy AND 2018 BMW M140i With A Few Good Bits Daily :driving:

CURRENT NC SPEC: SKUZZLE INTAKE, BBR 4-1 MANIFOLD, BBR 2.5" DE-CAT MIDPIPE, GO PERFORM BACK BOX, BBR REMAP WITH RAISED REV LIMIT, BBR KONI SHOCK/SPRING PACKAGE, RACING BEAT RX-8 "RACE" ANTI ROLL BARS, CUSTOM GEO SETTINGS, I.L MOTORSPORT LOWER FRONT & MID CHASSIS BRACES, COBOLT FRONT UPPER STRUT BRACE, RODDISON MOTOR SPORT FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS, CUSTOM BRAKE COOLERS, FLYING MIATA LIGHT WEIGHT FLY WHEEL & STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT, QUAIFE 4.100 RATIO REAR DIFF, SPARCO 330MM STEERING WHEEL, COBRA MONACO PRO SEAT ON GOODWIN RACING ADJUSTABLE SEAT MOUNT, GV STYLE FRONT LIP, O.E.M REAR MAZDA SPOILER, MX-5 PARTS EYE LIDS, CRAVENSPEED STUBBY AERIAL, 17X7.5 ROTAS WRAPPED IN 215/45/17 FEDERAL 595 RSR'S, I.L.MOTORSPORT WEIGHTED GEAR KNOB, I.L.MOTORSPORT STAINLESS BREAK HOSES, BEATRUSH SHIT COLLAR. 

CURRENT M140I SPEC: 2018 M140i MANUAL 3DR, ADAPTIVE SUSPENSION, MOTECH SPRINGS, PIPERCROSS FILTER, BCS MIDPIPE, BMS EXHAUST TIPS, 12MMF & 15MMR SPACERS, MAXTON REAR SPOILER. 

PREVIOUS CARS: 2009 MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT, 97 MK1 1.8, 93 MK1 1.6, 2011 MK3 SPORT BLACK, 2013 MK3 SPORT TECH NAV, 2002 BOXSTER 2.7, 2015 2.0 MK4 SPORT NAV, 1998 MK1 1.8, 2005 BOXSTER S, 2006 MK3 2.0 SPORT, 2012 SUBARU BRZ, 2016 SUBARU WRX STI, 1998 mk2 mx5 1.8is, 2017 BMW M140I, 2017 BMW M2 DCT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users