Sky InsuranceMX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksRomford MazdaAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on Track

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Tyre Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mx5ash

mx5ash

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

sorry if this has been done to death but i'm looking for some advise on new tyres.
Currently i have Dunlop SP Sport 9000 205/40zr17 on all 4 corners. (they came with the wheels)
They are gonna need replacing soon. I do around 20,000 miles a year. I don't really drive the car that hard and am unlikely to use it for track days any time in the near future but it will be used in all weathers.
So what i am looking for is a fairly hard wearing tyre (can't afford to replace every few months) that has reasonable grip (in all weathers-it rains a lot in Ireland) at a sensible price.
Also i find that the 17" alloys with low profile tyres a little harsh over the poor Irish roads. So what would you recommend. Will the ride be improved by changing to a higher profile? would i be better off with slimmer tyres ie 195/50?
oh and a nice looking tyre would be good too.
Thanks for your help.
Ashley
Posted Image

QUOTE (Daddy Cool)
Y'know... its a bit weird, but everytime i see your lovely cam cover i just want to lick it.
It looks so shiny and smooth.

Click here for my car domain page

#2 Martin...

Martin...

Very European!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

My advice would be sell the 17's for as much as you can and replace with some 15's... tyres are cheap as chips and the car will handle much better!
2006 EP3 Premier

2010 Kawasaki Z750

#3 John90

John90

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

sorry if this has been done to death but i'm looking for some advise on new tyres.
Currently i have Dunlop SP Sport 9000 205/40zr17 on all 4 corners. (they came with the wheels)
They are gonna need replacing soon. I do around 20,000 miles a year. I don't really drive the car that hard and am unlikely to use it for track days any time in the near future but it will be used in all weathers.
So what i am looking for is a fairly hard wearing tyre (can't afford to replace every few months) that has reasonable grip (in all weathers-it rains a lot in Ireland) at a sensible price.
Also i find that the 17" alloys with low profile tyres a little harsh over the poor Irish roads. So what would you recommend. Will the ride be improved by changing to a higher profile? would i be better off with slimmer tyres ie 195/50?
oh and a nice looking tyre would be good too.
Thanks for your help.
Ashley

Toyo T1-R or Toyo T1-s might be a good choice. they are very highly recommended on all sites, are very cheap (59 for that size from camskill) and apparently have a soft side wall which will make them more comfortable. They are good in wet and dry, the only issue is tyre wear which some report as being not great, but they have a wear indicator rating of 280, which is same as goodyear eagle F1's, so might do you a year if you dont do track days etc.

Original Spec: 1990 Mk1, PS, EW, Spoiler, Mariner Blue, Sill Plates, Finish Line Gear knob, TWR Hardtop.
215bhp 189lb/ft
Mods: JRSC M45, 60mm/150mm, 12psi, 5"x10" PWR Chargecooler with 50mm Ali CC Rad, Adaptronic 420C, Zeitronix WB02, Knocklite, 42mm Ali Civic TypeR Radiator, JR Fuel Pump, Dual Fuel Rail, 525cc Bosch EV14 Injectors, JR Ignition Leads, Custom HKS Super CAI, 4-2-1, De-catted Powerflow Custom Duals, mk2.5 Sport 'Big' Brakes Conversion, HEL Braided Lines and 5.1 Fluid, Koni Sport Kit with FM Rear Top Mounts, FM full Butterfly brace inc rails, MX5Parts front and rear underbody Bracing, 3pt JR front Strut Brace, Carbing Rear Tower Strut brace, Bonnet Lifters, Front and rear OEM splitters, Custom badges, 17" Oz Alleggerita's (14lbs) with 205/40/17 Eagle F1 GSD3's, Zoom 3 gauge black center console, JR afr-boost-oil temp gauges, Custom Dials with 'Matt' Cowl, 2.5 heated leather seats and mohair roof with Glass HRW, Il Motorsport Lo-Pro Lights, Clear lenses, Black lexus lights, Bullet mirrors, Chrome interior pack, Cruise Control, A/M Momo Steering Wheel....

Not currently being used:
Aquamist DDS3 v8 HSV WI with Devils Own Pump.

#4 mx5ash

mx5ash

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

can i fit any tyre from 195 to 215 on my 17" wheels?
Posted Image

QUOTE (Daddy Cool)
Y'know... its a bit weird, but everytime i see your lovely cam cover i just want to lick it.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Gotta love that turbo shove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

Yeah - does anyone know what the deal is with tyre widths? Are they specific to the wheel width? E.g. my BBR has the BBR wheels (OZ Plutons) and has tyres fitted in the size 205/50/15, I know I can vary the profile (50) a bit if I want but can/should I fit different width tyres? Only the choices for 15-inch 205-width tyres seems a bit limited, e.g. no Eagle F1s, etc. Surely someone must know the lowdown on this!
Andrew
Turbocharged but naturally aspirational........

#6 mx5ash

mx5ash

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Bump
Posted Image

QUOTE (Daddy Cool)

#7 John90

John90

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

yea i believe you can. I have 205 40 17's all round on mine but I have heard and roc doc is using 195 40 17 on front and 215 40 17 on back, this gives less tram lining at front and more grip at back I have heard but can't verify

Original Spec: 1990 Mk1, PS, EW, Spoiler, Mariner Blue, Sill Plates, Finish Line Gear knob, TWR Hardtop.
215bhp 189lb/ft
Mods: JRSC M45, 60mm/150mm, 12psi, 5"x10" PWR Chargecooler with 50mm Ali CC Rad, Adaptronic 420C, Zeitronix WB02, Knocklite, 42mm Ali Civic TypeR Radiator, JR Fuel Pump, Dual Fuel Rail, 525cc Bosch EV14 Injectors, JR Ignition Leads, Custom HKS Super CAI, 4-2-1, De-catted Powerflow Custom Duals, mk2.5 Sport 'Big' Brakes Conversion, HEL Braided Lines and 5.1 Fluid, Koni Sport Kit with FM Rear Top Mounts, FM full Butterfly brace inc rails, MX5Parts front and rear underbody Bracing, 3pt JR front Strut Brace, Carbing Rear Tower Strut brace, Bonnet Lifters, Front and rear OEM splitters, Custom badges, 17" Oz Alleggerita's (14lbs) with 205/40/17 Eagle F1 GSD3's, Zoom 3 gauge black center console, JR afr-boost-oil temp gauges, Custom Dials with 'Matt' Cowl, 2.5 heated leather seats and mohair roof with Glass HRW, Il Motorsport Lo-Pro Lights, Clear lenses, Black lexus lights, Bullet mirrors, Chrome interior pack, Cruise Control, A/M Momo Steering Wheel....

Not currently being used:
Aquamist DDS3 v8 HSV WI with Devils Own Pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users