Well it's been a frustrating few weeks for me car wise! After a particularly satisfying clean up session I removed the arch liners and unbolted the bottoms of the front wings I was able to pull out handfuls of dried mud, but after a good hosing out no rust was found I also managed to fit a new hood on a frame I'd picked up as well as repairing the rain rail too and after many tests the car remains bone dry!
This is where my good luck ran out... After taking a trip to a local auto-electrics place to have a nasty/aging aftermarket immobiliser removed I decided I may as well just get them to fit the cheap head unit I'd bought at the same time. At this point it became clear I'd managed to get completely the wrong surround. The radio was fitted regardless, but looks gash with a capital G and will need something doing (Problem 5). Hopefully the E36 clock/cubby bought from Adm on here over the weekend should remedy this. I set of home from said auto-electrics specialist feeling disspointed about the scruffy looking stereo set up and noticed my clutch felt pretty spongy/light... This is where the REAL trouble started. Within the space of 2 miles I was finding it hard to get into gears, and a mile further on I had no clutch whatsoever. I managed to stagger home in 2cnd (Problem 6).
The lack of clutch was a big issue as the car had an appointment with a paint shop on the Wednesday, and if I couldn't sort it I would end up costing the guy half a weeks work, not cool! Panic set in and I rushed to the motor factors and ordered a clutch master and slave cylinder after getting a bit of advice from the nutz collective and hoped this would sort it. Monday was fraught but I managed to get them on and thank God it solved the issue. I celebrated by Taking a trip to AK automotive and having them remove my aircon to save weight.
Next step was to drop the car off for paint repairs to the bonnet/boot/wing on Wednesday. The idea was that the work would be done by the following Monday, however I got a call to say the paint was causing problems and that two extra days would be needed meaning all would be completed today. As luck would have it I had a call this morning after more issues involving some 'fish eye's' appearing in the boot paint. I was invited down to have a look, which I did and TBF the car is looking fantastic other than the boot and the flaws that were there are barley perceptible to me, but my paint guy Michael (Paint Yoda Supreme ) is a a perfectionist which has to be a good thing IMO. The issues with the paint make up problem number 7 The delays have cost me 2 missed MOT's, but hopefully I'll have the car back tomorrow.
Unfortunately I didn't really get any pics of any of this lot happening on the basis I've mostly been too busy running about/calling people/being covered in clutch fluid, eyes filled with panic the whole time. Suffice to say the approach of just buying a 5 with a good rust free body and not worrying too much about anything else is proving to be more of a challenge than I'd imagined with problems so far nearly reaching double figures after only owning it for a couple of months... Serves me right for buying a 26 year old car that had been stored for extended periods of time! One good thing that's come of it is I've been forced to do some jobs like the rain rail/hood and replacing the clutch/slave cylinders that previously I wouldn't have dared to try if I'm honest so some confidence has been gained if nothing else!
My fingers hurt from typing all that so I'll stop now I'm 100% determined to have this car sorted and pretty much where I want it with time left to enjoy the summer even if it kills me! Here's hoping for an easier/more fun time in the forth coming weeks and months...